Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 04:30 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,060 times

Advertisements

There is seriously something wrong (as a MATURE adult) with having to be on a cell phone everywhere you go, all the time, no matter who you are with. Pay attention to your driving, to your child, to your friend, to the clerk, or whatever you are involved with. There is no argument that cell phones have become awesome tools to make your life more fun and more convenient. But, when a person cannot disconnect from it to pay attention to the outside world and what is happening around them, it is a problem, and it is rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 05:16 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,801,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The nice thing is, most kids will listen to any voice of authority, at least long enough to get your kids away from him. Put on your best Bossy Parent voice, yell "No pushing on the slide," and the kid will stop.

\.
You're 100% right and that's what I did. He eventually looked up and brought his kid off the slide and on to another station where I watched him pick his phone right up and continue playing "angry birds" or something.

One thing I love about kids is that they move on quicker than I do, apparently. My kids went on about there day and here I am the following morning still thinking about it

Old 11-04-2012, 07:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I went to a Fall Festival today....bounce houses, face painting etc...my 2 daughters (4 & 2) were climbing up the tall bounce house with a slide and this boy, probably 7 or 8 decided to terrorize my kids at the top by pushing them down the slide and flat out scaring my 2 year old. His father was standing right next to me playing on his cell phone without a care in the world. I made a comment about "who's little boy is that" and he continued to text away.....it eventually was worked out and we all moved on but...

I see more and more people these days whether it's with their kids, at a restaurant, sporting events, concerts today glued to their cell phone and not paying attention to the world around them. It scares me to think that kids these days are growing up in an environment that promotes a lack of face to face communication.
Well -- the parent a of a 2 year old playing around older kids is the parent who of course must watch more closely -- it doesn't matter if it's one of these festivals, or a McDonalds play area. It's not so much the cell phone, the dad could have been engrossed in a book or newspaper or just not paying attention.

Cell phone use does kind of annoy me --- here the driver of every other car is busy chatting or texting while driving, laws against that have accomplished nothing. You can go to lunch with people and they end up spending their time checking their cell phone, answering every text and call. People are like zombies now, if they don't feel their cell phone go off, they get an anguish look and start checking. I don't see how people like to be so bond to their telephones.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,575 times
We see this at our preschool and have made a no cell phone policy in the carpool line. Most of our Moms are stay at home Moms.Nothing sadder than bringing a preschooler to their car when they are so excited to share what they did that day or show their special art then the car door opens and Mom is yaking on the phone. She smiles but is obviously distracted, wish they could see the disappointment that is obvious to us. Time passes too quick don't miss the special moments because you can't hang up. Wait until they take a nap, go to bed or use the time they are at school.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
First of all, there's not much you can do about it. This is 2012 and this is the way life is. But, I agree, the observance made in the original post is very realistic.

If you can't beat em, join em. I just bought a smartphone and now I am one of the parents during soccer practices with my nose buried in the internet during situations previously known as sociable. I gave up trying to talk to these parents at soccer games. They're just too busy on facebook to talk to me about school issues, sports, where they moved from, etc.

Here's a shot I snapped at one of my kids' soccer GAMES (not practice). This woman's kid is playing in the game and here she is on Facebook:

Old 11-04-2012, 07:53 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Shall you burn in hell for 1000 lifetimes!!!!

Don't you know cell phones are the devil and will make us stoic robots who never speak face to face...
for those of you who use them that way.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:54 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Me to my adult daughters: "Put that d**n thing away and pay attention to your mother".

Old 11-04-2012, 08:00 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Your own child first.

Consideration of other people second.

Phone third. Unless the President has you on speed dial and has a question about national security there is nothing you need to do on your phone that overrules you keeping an eye on your kid in public.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:59 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Omg.
Dude, maybe he was texting his mother in another state to see how his father was pulling through after a heart attack.
Maybe he was reading about hurricane sandy and information about a town his family lives in since he hasn't heard anything from them in a few days.

And cell phones bring people together not push them apart, because of cell phones we can speak to people no matter where they are, anytime anywhere, my boyfriend at work, my grandmother in Tennessee.

It's here to stay, learn to love it.
Yes they can be a good tool but if you're having a face to face conversation with some one and they're preoccupied with texting or talking then that's rude. It drives me up the wall when these idiots in theaters can't stop flashing their cell phones for two hours. I finally had to ask a young person to please stop as it was very annoying. I say everyone turn off your cell phones and focus on the here and now before the world turns into socially retarded robots that can't communicate without texting something.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
We see this at our preschool and have made a no cell phone policy in the carpool line. Most of our Moms are stay at home Moms.Nothing sadder than bringing a preschooler to their car when they are so excited to share what they did that day or show their special art then the car door opens and Mom is yaking on the phone. She smiles but is obviously distracted, wish they could see the disappointment that is obvious to us. Time passes too quick don't miss the special moments because you can't hang up. Wait until they take a nap, go to bed or use the time they are at school.
Personally, If a preschool told me what to do in the pickup line regarding my phone use that was not safety related I would ignore it. That would be overstepping the parenting boundaries. They don't know me or what I do with my kids, how I interact etc and have no right to dictate to me that I be ready to "hear" my kid the moment they get into the car because some administrator at the school thought they should mandate how a parent parents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Me to my adult daughters: "Put that d**n thing away and pay attention to your mother".

We were recently at a local hamburger joint. A dad was there with his young child, the dad would not put his phone down and interact with his child. I found the scene to be very sad.
I am all for technology but I prefer mine to be served with limits. Not only do I limit our teens activity but ours as well. Dinners and family time are to be unplugged.
I believe our society is losing our sense of courtesy, I might be the lone hold out but courtesy is something I still believe in and I try to teach my kids by example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting