Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:01 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times

Advertisements

My guess about the underwear is that the girl is wearing low-rise pants, as most of them do, and which usually reveal a big slice of buttcrack whenever she squats or sits down. You can tell when someone is going commando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 05:56 AM

4 posts, read 7,115 times
Dear All
Thank you for all your suggestions.
We agree with some of you, others I'm afraid we don't really think it's a good idea.
So far the situation is that we'r allowing her to be braless indoors provided the top is adquate.

However, to answer a few questions here, YES I do know what my daughter buys, and I do buy her clothes myself, however, that is not sloving the problem yet.

The advice we've had so far is that she's developing a sort of attitude that promotes a showing off kind of behavior.

Given that I can stand my group when it comes to her brother and father being around, however, what do I do when it's just as girls in the house? Yes, maybe she doesn't relate herself to me as I don't normally wear anything revealing at home, so should I?

Also, what happens later? in summer...

Thank you
Val

Old 12-24-2012, 06:59 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,375 times
so, this is about she not wearing a bra while at home? I don't see this as a big deal. One of my daily joys is taking mine off after work! Even a good fitting, well made bra is uncomfortable after a while.

As for her jiggling around in front of her daddy/brother.... so? Why is this an issue? Are they reacting inappropriately, if so then you might want to look into that with them.

As for summer time.... why is this an issue either? Your rule of appropriate shirts when braless can be carried over. A general rule can be if somebody can see her nips (either by color or shape) then that would be a bra wearing shirt.

If your daughter cannot feel comfortable with her body, in her own home, with her own family, where can she?

Old 12-24-2012, 07:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
You are seriously concerned that your husband and son are "checking out " your DD? Going braless, so what? Unless she is doing that with a thin white t-shirt, I don't get the issue (sitting here braless in my PJ's right now as a matter of fact). Do you wear a bra 100% of the time? She sounds pretty normal to me and that maybe your attitude is the issue, not hers???

Old 12-24-2012, 07:37 AM

4 posts, read 7,115 times
Golfgal.
We have no problem with that. This has been agreed. Had you read my first passage you'd see the problem.
I have asked her to wear proper tops for the actual reason that she wore all sort of tops before, no matter how thin or white etc.

We have reached that agreement because of other issues already discussed above, however, point remains that she still feels free to wear just about anything, or not wear, when i'm the only one at home.

Val

Old 12-24-2012, 07:53 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Ah, so now we see that it is you who is uncomfortable with your daughter being braless at home. If that is the biggest issue you have with a 17 yr old, rejoice. Then, leave her alone. This is not something to dig in your heels over. As others have already written, many of us let the "girls" free under our own roofs. It's a comfort thing, not an act of exhibitionism. Avert your eyes and carry on if it bothers you.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:59 AM

32 posts, read 43,019 times
Braless....LoL! You would probably think my family are a bunch of nudist. We walk around in our undies!! I think maybe your daughter just wants to be comfortable at home.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:07 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,928 times
This can't be addressed until we can see some pictures of what she is wearing.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
She is testing avenues of rebellion. Knowing her own limits on that will serve her well in her adulthood. Be glad she she is not cutting herself, instead of cutting down on undies. Maybe she likes the attention, of which she is obviously getting plenty.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:51 PM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Meh. I think that the girl needs to be considerate of her father and her brother (and her mom!) and make an effort to wear appropriate outfits when she's around them. If she wants to "let it all hang out" she can do that in the privacy of her own bedroom, not at the dinner table.

I can't imagine why a 17 year old girl would want to bounce around and dress revealingly around her male relatives - especially if she knows that it makes them uncomfortable. Will she expect to be able to dress like that around her future boyfriends, too? What about her brother's friends? Nah. I'd nip that in the bud, OP. No pun intended.

Last edited by springfieldva; 12-27-2012 at 07:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting