Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 07:09 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,771,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
You missed that part about poorly-behaved children versus well-behaved children, didn't you?
It doesn't matter. You can witch and moan about any other public venue you like, and might have a point, but airline travel is different. People have no other option frequently when it comes to travel abroad. Your need for peace and quiet does not mean people with children do not get to see their families.

Seriously, if you want silence, take a red eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,957,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Yes, I'm not speaking of nurses, I'm speaking of people with doctorates who are eminently knowledgeable about the psychology and behavior of children.
Of course, you wouldn't think nurses know crap. There are a few teachers on this thread too. Both nurses and teachers actually take courses in child development and other child psychology issues.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:35 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,299,917 times
The only times I've given advice to a parent was when the subject was something I actually had experience with from my own upbringing, usually something to do with teenagers or pre-teens getting into trouble, not caring about their future, and so on. Depending on the specific situation, I may have some insight into what the kid is thinking or going through. And even then, it's only ideas, and only offered to help them see a different perspective than what they may have from their own youth. We all get unsolicited advice about a variety of things, though I'm sure you take unsolicited advice about your kids more personally than about, say, your landscaping or driving skills. And people with kids can surely give bad advice too. Regardless, if someone says something stupid that has no bearing on your life, the best thing is to just ignore them and not dwell on it. Harder to do that if they're a friend or family member, of course.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:29 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,542,804 times
Katiana, I meant Developmental Psychology not child development.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:39 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,588,790 times
I feel it important to add that there are many non-parents who contribute greatly to the Parenting threads here. I think the few who are obnoxious have done a good job of proving the OP's point themselves in this thread.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,178,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
As a parent have you ever had someone who is not a parent critique your parenting skills or give you parenting advice?

What was your reaction?
Because they have BEEN children. That qualifies us.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,998,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Hardly, except in a nostalgic way. The world has changed dramatically since I was a kid, heck, even since my young 20-somethings were. My childhood was vastly different from that of my boys, and I am sure their children will have different experiences too.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,957,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
But you've not been a parent. You've not seen the other side.

I do agree with Zimbo that there are a some great non-parents who post here, but there are a few who give non-parents a bad name on a parenting forum.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:12 AM

316 posts, read 215,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
1. How would you know unless you've experienced it yourself. Parents, unlike you, knew what it felt like to have familiar love with relatives other than children before becoming parents, after which they knew the familiaral love of being a parent.

2. This is highly subjective but I for one see more value in sacrificing for the sake of brining another life into the world and nutruing it than in sacrificing for a promotion or a pay raise or a new boat.

3. No it's usually because it's the fifteenth millionth time we've heard it from non-parents. Sort of like you interjecting yourself into a parenting thread which specifically addressed other parents.

4. Says who? You? What data? You "pay attention to parents," so you know how happy we all are? Are you purposely trying to make yourself look like a fool?

5. If my kid has a soccer game and the boss, who isn't you, is Ok with me leaving a little early to go to it, then it's none of your damn business.
This is the kind of attitude we childless people speak of. Did ever occur that some of us can't pick to have children? If someone doesn't want children, are they subjected to such condescending and ill treatment? HTey knew what was best for them.There are plenty of selfish parents who prefer new boats and shiny things you say in no 2. It isn't necessary to procreate to make sacrifices, have compassion, or find value in life. Yes, leaving early would be their business if you force them to stay over and inconvenience them. Speaking of trips, anyone who can make trans atlantic trips with 1-3 kids obviusly has money to burn.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,795,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Do you think there is a difference between criticizing poorly behaved kids and offering parenting advice to the parents? They aren't the same thing. Anyone can recognize a poorly behaved kid. That doesn't mean they will feel free to walk over and tell the parents what they were doing wrong.
It depends. I think if a child is behaving terribly in a restaurant, some parenting advice could be given out but obviously the parent isn't probably going to take the advice because many parents think their children are cute when being obnoxious. In a public place like a movie theater, if a child is screaming it's lungs out, the advice might be to take the child out or the parents could be asked why they don't find a babysitter. I think most people are pretty tolerant of children as long as the children are reasonably behaved.

I've seen parents ignore their children behaving in a dangerous way and have to be told not to let the child climb on something or lean too far over the edge of something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting