Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 12:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Can someone please explain to me why there are designated parking spaces at various grocery and retail stores for "families with children"?? Up front and center with the handicapped spots? Last time I checked, parents are still capable of walking like everyone else. Unless that changed recently and I'm somehow unaware of it.
Well....

We've learned that these spots are appreciated for the safety they offer children. Any more objections or are you still upset that you have to walk an extra 30 feet to get to the front door? I live in a state that gets very hot in the summer. To be truthful I wouldn't mind a few spots marked "Weather Wimps". Each of these spots would be fully shaded. I'd also be able to leave my windows cracked without the worry of some evil-doer using a slim jim to break into my car and rip the stereo system out.

Ain't gonna happen. My desire for a shady spot does not benefit anyone but me. However, our society knows that some people have greater needs than others. Elderly. Handicapped. And yes, mothers and little kids. We actually see the benefits in keeping kids safe so that they aren't run down by all the 20-something childless drivers who are texting instead of looking where the're going.

(It's noted you didn't answer my question about being on your cell while you drive.)

Old 03-29-2013, 01:16 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well....

We've learned that these spots are appreciated for the safety they offer children. Any more objections or are you still upset that you have to walk an extra 30 feet to get to the front door? I live in a state that gets very hot in the summer. To be truthful I wouldn't mind a few spots marked "Weather Wimps". Each of these spots would be fully shaded. I'd also be able to leave my windows cracked without the worry of some evil-doer using a slim jim to break into my car and rip the stereo system out.

Ain't gonna happen. My desire for a shady spot does not benefit anyone but me. However, our society knows that some people have greater needs than others. Elderly. Handicapped. And yes, mothers and little kids. We actually see the benefits in keeping kids safe so that they aren't run down by all the 20-something childless drivers who are texting instead of looking where the're going.

(It's noted you didn't answer my question about being on your cell while you drive.)
I have an ap on my cell that freezes it while I'm in the car.

I've seen plenty of moms in mini vans texting with kids in their cars.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,057,766 times
Quote:
The store is located within walking distance of 2 assisted living centers. One 50+ community and several senior centers. I just think the spots should be open for those individuals.
If they walk to the store from the centers why would they need a parking spot?

Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,698,521 times
Quote:

Oh god yes, for the children my arse.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:20 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,057,766 times
Also, if I owned a grocery store I would have lots of parents with children spots. They spend more money than single people.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
If they walk to the store from the centers why would they need a parking spot?
Ugh, they don't walk but it's in general walking distance. Two miles or less. Idk how many people in assisted living/therapy centers are walking a mile to the grocery store and back with groceries in hand.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:26 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:

It is illegal in my state. I say whiiipppiiieeee! to that,. Texting in the car is bad news.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It is illegal in my state. I say whiiipppiiieeee! to that,. Texting in the car is bad news.
It's illegal in my state too. Some people just don't care and that definitely applies to mommy and daddies who are texting, answering emails, adjusting ties or applying makeup in the care while driving with children, only to then pull into a "parents with children" spot. Oooh, now I get it, you care about your child's safety when it's convenient for you.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:29 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,219,691 times
Quote:
Ugh, they don't walk but it's in general walking distance. Two miles or less. Idk how many people in assisted living/therapy centers are walking a mile to the grocery store and back with groceries in hand.
Then they likely rely on the assisted living facility van -- that is part of their rent -- to get to and from the store.

But you could always call and confirm since you're so committed to this issue.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:30 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
World Problems:

1) Hunger
2) Clean Water
3) Infectious diseases
4) Illiteracy
5) Malaria

85766348) Family parking spaces
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting