Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:33 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times

Advertisements

How do you and your children celebrate Halloween and Trick or Treating to ensure they are safe?

I grew up in the 50's and thankfully we were able to enjoy Halloween without the fears that today's children face.

Many towns now offer community events to ensure the children are safe.

Just curious how you and your family celebrate safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 05:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
I guess I never really had to worry about it. There is so much hype about the dangers to kids these days and it is all over rated. There were just as many pedophiles in the 50s as there is today, we just never heard about them and that is worse then knowing where they are. Our kids use common sense, they have had enough freedom to know how to cross a street safely, how not to go to houses that don't have lights on, etc.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:38 AM

304 posts, read 1,430,428 times
Last year we took our kids trick-or-treating around our neighborhood, but this year we decided to take them to the local mall instead. They held the event this past Saturday afternoon so we didn't have to mess with taking them out on a school night. The kids seemed to have a lot more fun going this route this year. There were tons of other families at this event so it was pretty festive. It was fun seeing all the other kids' costumes, and we didn't have to worry about trick-or-treating in our dark neighborhood without sidewalks. Besides, it seemed that last year only about half the homes were even participating.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:57 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,046,149 times
we take the kids to the mall first, they do trick or treating there, plus are handing out hot cotton candy, doing costume parades and judging, its fun, safe, warm and dry! Warm and dry being very important too since we live on the Oregon coast and when my little one wants to be a barbie princess im not taking her outside in a flimsy costume! being in the mall is a win-win. We also take them to the grade schools halloween carnival. another win-win. They have lots of games going on and we can donate to the school while the kids are having a blast. Life is good.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:03 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
We're going to take our son to something downtown in a nearby firehouse (open house) and/ or to the mall.

We just moved to a new state and it's very rural here. I think the best thing (especially as it is a school night and he's 9) is go to some event rather than try to find houses giving out candy & walking half a mile.

It seems to me (even when we lived in NY) you get a lot of people who don't give out candy or don't answer the door.

Neither my husband or I are fans of trick or treating but I always take my son and try to make the effort for him.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:40 AM

895 posts, read 4,248,192 times
I read all this stuff about pedophiles and danger and it makes me so aggravated. I loved Halloween growing up. It was one of my favorite holidays -- it was crisp outside, we got to be with friends and dress up in our favorite costumes and stay up late. We've always taken our children trick or treating wherever we've lived. Going from door to door also teaches my kids social skills. We're going to go out for 45 minutes tomorrow. We just moved here and haven't met any of the neighbors because we're one of the few with kids (hope they buy candy!). I didn't think about the fact that neighbors don't participate until I read some of these posts so now I'm a little worried. I usually don't let them touch the candy. I go through each bag when we get home and let them look through what I've deemed acceptable and they get to pick a few pieces out to keep. The rest I just hide or throw away. I don't think it's about the candy as much as having fun!

Old 10-30-2007, 12:34 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,932 times
I guess maybe I am too trusting or something. But I actually take my children trick or treating in our neighborhood door to door. I don't allow them to go by themselves but my husband or I do go with them. We check their candy when they get home and discard anything that is open or smashed or is not in a sealed wrapper. I guess I don't understand the worry over pedophiles being as I the parent are taking my children around. I worry more about getting run over in the street from the idiots who drive 90 miles an hour down the road when kids are out at night. Just my two cents.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:08 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I guess maybe I am too trusting or something. But I actually take my children trick or treating in our neighborhood door to door. I don't allow them to go by themselves but my husband or I do go with them. We check their candy when they get home and discard anything that is open or smashed or is not in a sealed wrapper. I guess I don't understand the worry over pedophiles being as I the parent are taking my children around. I worry more about getting run over in the street from the idiots who drive 90 miles an hour down the road when kids are out at night. Just my two cents.

Well, I guess I am more trusting then you because I don't even go with my kids, they have gone with their friends for the past 4 years or so.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:16 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, I guess I am more trusting then you because I don't even go with my kids, they have gone with their friends for the past 4 years or so.
Glad to know I am not the only one. Seems like everyone I know thinks their neighbors are some ax wielding child kidnapper kick your dog kinda people or something. (kidding) Everywhere I have lived have been nice areas where people are always around. I have never felt worried.

Last edited by movingtohouston; 10-30-2007 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 10-30-2007, 03:44 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
How do you and your children celebrate Halloween and Trick or Treating to ensure they are safe?
We have a Halloween Parade in our neighborhood the Saturday prior to Halloween. On Halloween Day, we go to a Halloween Party at our church and in the early evening we take our child to the neighbors we know. Then she gives away candy in her costume to the kids that come to our home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting