Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your teen (13-17) have an iPhone?
Yes and I pay the full bill 24 42.86%
Yes and they help pay the bill 8 14.29%
No if they want one, they can wait until they can get it themselves 11 19.64%
No there is no need for a kid to have an iPhone 13 23.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 02:26 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times

Advertisements

I didn't have an iPhone as a teenager. They came out when I was 14.

I had no cell phone from 13 to 15, an LG Voyager from 16 to 17.5, and a Motorola Droid for my final months of being a minor.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:36 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Yes, my son (16) has an iPhone. Before that he had a droid. He gets the hand me down smartphones. ipad, computers etc. I work in the tech field and get this stuff pretty cheap. I have a drawer full of phones I should sell off. Usually I just donate them when I can. Anyway, my son doesn't pay the bill I do. I guess my son isn't the typical teenager begging for this stuff because its always been around the house.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:59 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I didn't have an iPhone as a teenager. They came out when I was 14.

I had no cell phone from 13 to 15, an LG Voyager from 16 to 17.5, and a Motorola Droid for my final months of being a minor.
What does this have to do with whether kids should have one now?

Old 05-11-2013, 07:50 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Our kids use them to look stuff up on google all the time. If conversation mentions the war in Bosnia, they lookit up to see what and when it was. If we talk about a Pontiac G-8 GXP they look up the specs and reviews. If we go to the fish store, they have selected a fish based on internet information by the time we get there. "I want a bb gun?" In one hour they know the best kind who sells it and the best price. Mention a song, and in a few minutes it is playing. Discuss art and they can look up various masters works. Whatever it is, they can become knowledgeable about it in seconds and contribute meaningfully to the conversation. It is amazing how fast kids are with using the internet.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:04 AM

885 posts, read 1,882,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our kids use them to look stuff up on google all the time. If conversation mentions the war in Bosnia, they lookit up to see what and when it was. If we talk about a Pontiac G-8 GXP they look up the specs and reviews. If we go to the fish store, they have selected a fish based on internet information by the time we get there. "I want a bb gun?" In one hour they know the best kind who sells it and the best price. Mention a song, and in a few minutes it is playing. Discuss art and they can look up various masters works. Whatever it is, they can become knowledgeable about it in seconds and contribute meaningfully to the conversation. It is amazing how fast kids are with using the internet.
This also promotes not being able to think for yourself. When kids are given a challenge their gut reaction is to simply look up how to get through it rather than think about it and try to solve it on their own.

There's a balance that is needed, which most people in this age are not able to achieve, kids included.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:06 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
This also promotes not being able to think for yourself. When kids are given a challenge their gut reaction is to simply look up how to get through it rather than think about it and try to solve it on their own.

There's a balance that is needed, which most people in this age are not able to achieve, kids included.
What utter carp. When I was a kid we had encyclopedias we used for reference. How is that any different?

Old 05-11-2013, 08:07 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:

Our kids think for themselves very well. They re certainly smarter and better educated than i was at their age. Maybe they are exceptions, they do not seem to be, but it is possible we live in an exceptional community. My kids certainly know a lot more about history and culture than I did, and in some areas a lot more than I do now.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:27 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
Quote:

Reminds me of all the 'game cheats' that are out there showing you how to win a video game or beat the game or whatever. When I first heard of these years ago, I said to myself "why wouldn't you just play the game, improve your skills at it and try to win with your skills and intelligence rather than "cheat" the game?"

Old 05-11-2013, 08:33 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
What utter carp. When I was a kid we had encyclopedias we used for reference. How is that any different?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our kids think for themselves very well. They re certainly smarter and better educated than i was at their age. Maybe they are exceptions, they do not seem to be, but it is possible we live in an exceptional community. My kids certainly know a lot more about history and culture than I did, and in some areas a lot more than I do now.
Exactly....information is more accessible is all....it does not mean that people think less (or more). That comes with how the information is is used. Same as always.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:40 AM

885 posts, read 1,882,087 times
Read the comments for insight into what real parents are experiencing.

Is the Internet hurting children? - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting