Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,440,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I have the same issue with my 9th grade daughter!
She used to go to YMCA camp but that is way too expensive. I was fortunate enough those years to get a financial scholarship to the camp. She no longer wants to go and she doesn't want to be a CIT.
My 9th grader will be a CIT at our YMCA camp this summer for four weeks (two two-week sessions) because I insisted. The rest of the summer will be taken up with soccer practices, a brief family trip, and hanging out with friends. She also has plenty of summer homework to do.

Sitting around all summer was absolutely not an option. She would have liked to be a camper for one last time at the Y, but I thought it was time to move up. Being a CIT is a perfect way for young teenagers to enter the working world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 06:14 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,440,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It's so sad to me that parents feel free to plan their high school kids summer lives.

Whatever happened to a kid being able to enjoy THEIR summer: sleeping in, hanging out a the pool or the beach, meeting up with friends, working a part-time job of their choosing . . .why are parents sooooooo involved in their teens lives?

Did all of you helicopter parents have helicopter parents yourselves? Or did you get to enjoy your summers?
No helicopter parents for me, the exact opposite in fact. When my family was flush we'd spend weeks at a rented beach house where all the kids just ran free. It was heaven. But as a teenager I always worked all summer. I think that expectation instilled a terrific work ethic, one I want to pass along to my kids. Doing nothing is fine for a couple of weeks, but not the whole summer. Life isn't like that and if sitting around is seen as acceptable it becomes a difficult habit to break.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:30 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,842,264 times
Quote:
It's so sad to me that parents feel free to plan their high school kids summer lives.

Whatever happened to a kid being able to enjoy THEIR summer: sleeping in, hanging out a the pool or the beach, meeting up with friends, working a part-time job of their choosing . . .why are parents sooooooo involved in their teens lives?

Did all of you helicopter parents have helicopter parents yourselves? Or did you get to enjoy your summers?
I'm of the same opinion. When it comes down to it, it's these summers before graduating high school that a kid has to enjoy and be largely carefree without being scheduled to death. He'll have plenty of time for that once they're out of school. Let them have therir summers.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:50 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,071,772 times
^^A 14 yr old home alone all day every day left to his own devices may make some bad decisions. Plus, you don't want them just watching TV all day. BTDT.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
No helicopter parents for me, the exact opposite in fact. When my family was flush we'd spend weeks at a rented beach house where all the kids just ran free. It was heaven. But as a teenager I always worked all summer. I think that expectation instilled a terrific work ethic, one I want to pass along to my kids. Doing nothing is fine for a couple of weeks, but not the whole summer. Life isn't like that and if sitting around is seen as acceptable it becomes a difficult habit to break.
Do you have a job to offer this kid? Have you any idea how hard it is for a teen to find work these days, let alone one as young as 14? I agree by 16 they should be looking hard for work, but not 14.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,530,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Do you have a job to offer this kid? Have you any idea how hard it is for a teen to find work these days, let alone one as young as 14? I agree by 16 they should be looking hard for work, but not 14.
I agree. 14 was by far the hardest summer for my DD. At 15 she was able to find a job hostessing in a restaurant that served breakfast/lunch. When she was 16 she was able to waitress.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:06 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,275,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I'm of the same opinion. When it comes down to it, it's these summers before graduating high school that a kid has to enjoy and be largely carefree without being scheduled to death. He'll have plenty of time for that once they're out of school. Let them have therir summers.
I think the same too. Feel sorry for the teenagers who have their summers dictated by their parents. All I would expect is helping with housework and doing some cooking.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:52 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,445,612 times
Quote:

Heh - maybe its because we parents watched the results from statically studies on what contributes to success and income in life, and what makes your kid turn out as a 34 year old WOrker at McDonalds

IF you want the best for your kid, then summer activities that will make his resume look better on college applications.. .will be great

Even if that isn't possible, summer should not stop the learning process

God I hope I get in a year round school for my son, because this summer break thing is as outdated as possible

Old 06-01-2013, 05:54 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,790,719 times
What did YOU do when you were that age during the summer? I rode my bike, spent time at the swim club, hung out with friends, tried to meet girls, etc. I didn't have my parents telling me what I should do or planning my day.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:23 AM

^^It sounds like this kid needs a little push to do some of those things. What one doesn't want is the kid sleeping till 3 PM; playing electronic games and/or on the computer all day. A few days like that is fine, but you don't want that as a regular thing.

I'm curious, OP. Is the basketball an organized thing or is it more of "go to the gym and shoot hoops"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting