Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 AM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,201 times

Advertisements

Moderator Cut

Almost a year ago, I was out to eat with a few friends. Seated next to us was a small family of 3. A mother, grandmother and a little boy.

The Mother and grandmother were talking and the boy was just sitting quietly. When the two adults were finished talking, the boy proceeded to say something like "I really enjoyed the ride over here, I never saw that"

The boy never really even finished his statement when his grandmother cut right across him and proceeded to talk about another subject. The boy said "Grandmom I was speaking" and the mother then said "It doesn't matter, she's an adult and your a child, you wait."

The Mother looked about 35, Grandmother, late 50s, child between 8 and 11?

Do you believe in "Seen and not Heard"

Should Parents/adults respect children.

Last edited by Jaded; 07-26-2013 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Please don't discuss moderator actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:13 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,835,617 times
In general, I think this is poor parenting on the mother's part. Can't really blame the grandmother as she may have hearing issues or something. It's also somewhat dependent on the grandmom/mother dynamic so hard to know 100%.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:50 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,187,051 times
Stuff like that a kid can carry for a long time. Anyhow, providing all was on the up and up, I think his mother was rude and disrespectful and I feel bad for the kid.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,319,012 times
Yes, parents should respect their children, and all children for that matter. If you don't show them respect, how can they show respect in return?

Old 07-26-2013, 02:12 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,638 times
Yep, they should.

My family is a perfect example. As my brother and I got older, our parents were less strict on the rules. We basically started ruling the household. They lost control over us and we did whatever we wanted. If we wanted to buy something, we'd go straight to their wallets without even asking. It's their fault for not standing their ground (I couldn't think of any other way to rephrase this. No TM/GZ reference intended).

Old 07-26-2013, 04:43 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Yep, they should.

My family is a perfect example. As my brother and I got older, our parents were less strict on the rules. We basically started ruling the household. They lost control over us and we did whatever we wanted. If we wanted to buy something, we'd go straight to their wallets without even asking. It's their fault for not standing their ground (I couldn't think of any other way to rephrase this. No TM/GZ reference intended).

Are you serious?

Old 07-26-2013, 04:52 PM

20,372 posts, read 14,647,504 times
No matter what you say to your kids when you're raising them, the example you set will always be more powerful.

Want to be a better parent? Be a better person.

That means showing them courtesies and respect on a day-to-day basis that you expect to be shown in return, while still knowing when it is time to "get all parental on them" as I put it to my 11 and 14 year old. If they are about to make some lame excuse for something, I will interrupt. That's me being The Mom. But what you describe...it's rudeness and it's setting a poor example in my opinion.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:59 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,187,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Yep, they should.

You're confusing neglect with respect.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:38 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,181,267 times
Yes, parents should respect children. People should respect people in general.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:58 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
We always treated our Sons as adults and carried on conversations with them as such. They were taught manners, but if they had something to say we listened and let them talk. If a child was butting in when some adult was talking that would be a different matter, you would say "Wait until "Bill" is finished so you can have your turn." But I certainly would not demean a child and make them feel like a sub par human being.

But everyone teaches their children differently, I guess.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting