Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,929 times

Advertisements

We moved from Florida to pittsburgh Pennsylvania a year and a half ago for financial reasons. Although my husband and I have been able to find very good employment my children are struggling . We have 4 daughters between the ages of 17 and 13 that in the past had done exceptionally well academically . Not only did they loose some of the high school credits they had received in the state of Florida, they have not been able to make any friends . We don't live in a very culturally diverse part of PA so I think being Hispanic makes them "stick out"sometimes. They are struggling academically and are finding it increasingly difficult to catch up in school . Most recently I have considered going back to Florida to allow my children the opprtunity to finish school but don't know if I'm making the right decision. I am obviously in a better position financially in PA but feel like I'm risking my children's future ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 10:05 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOM-of-4 View Post
We moved from Florida to pittsburgh Pennsylvania a year and a half ago for financial reasons. Although my husband and I have been able to find very good employment my children are struggling . We have 4 daughters between the ages of 17 and 13 that in the past had done exceptionally well academically . Not only did they loose some of the high school credits they had received in the state of Florida, they have not been able to make any friends . We don't live in a very culturally diverse part of PA so I think being Hispanic makes them "stick out"sometimes. They are struggling academically and are finding it increasingly difficult to catch up in school . Most recently I have considered going back to Florida to allow my children the opprtunity to finish school but don't know if I'm making the right decision. I am obviously in a better position financially in PA but feel like I'm risking my children's future ...
Pennsylvania schools are academically far ahead of Florida's schools. Florida is 29th (and I think that is generous) in the state rankings, Pennsylvania is ranked 10th. I taught at University of South Florida for a while and the students were mostly not ready for college work in math. Does the school have tutoring? If you are in a good position financially, can you sign them up for private tutoring?

Not being able to make friends would worry me. Do they have any activities outside of school were they would have a chance to make friends?

Old 01-11-2015, 10:20 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
I wouldn't move again. I agree with getting them tutoring, perhaps some counseling, some parent training. They need help adjusting and catching up. And likely, if I know teenagers, they are manipulating you a good bit with the move. It will be a great life experience for them to find out they can make a major move and find out how to gain their footings. Better now then when they go to college and are on their own.

Reach out and get some help

Old 01-11-2015, 10:30 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Pennsylvania schools are academically far ahead of Florida's schools. Florida is 29th (and I think that is generous) in the state rankings, Pennsylvania is ranked 10th. I taught at University of South Florida for a while and the students were mostly not ready for college work in math. Does the school have tutoring? If you are in a good position financially, can you sign them up for private tutoring?

Not being able to make friends would worry me. Do they have any activities outside of school were they would have a chance to make friends?
Most schools have opportunities for students to get help if they are struggling academically. Talk to the guidance counselors at each school to make sure that your children are aware of what is available.

In the schools in my area, every high school teacher is required to be available for tutoring/help with classroom assignments every day during a designated block of time. Depending on the school district this may be before school, during the extended lunch period or after school. Sometimes students who need the help are not willing to come to school early/stay late/miss part of their lunch break to actually get help from their teachers. (As a HS sub teacher, I hear the regular teachers complaining about this all of the time.) I am not saying that your children are not taking advantage of the opportunities for help that are available but it is possible.

Also, as nana053, pointed out private 1 to 1 tutoring can also be very helpful in catching up as well as learning new skills.

IMHO, clubs, sports and activities, both in and out of school, are invaluable for teens to meet new people who share similar interests. If they have not meet people that have become friends already, through these activities, perhaps they need to try other groups.

Good luck.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:32 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I wouldn't move again. I agree with getting them tutoring, perhaps some counseling, some parent training. They need help adjusting and catching up. And likely, if I know teenagers, they are manipulating you a good bit with the move. It will be a great life experience for them to find out they can make a major move and find out how to gain their footings. Better now then when they go to college and are on their own.

Reach out and get some help
I agree. Do not move again.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:06 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Have you thought about perhaps trying out a church? Many church communities will be very accepting and have age-appropriate activities for your kids where they can meet kids (and you can meet people, too.)

Old 01-11-2015, 02:32 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOM-of-4 View Post
Do not move again....get them tutors so they catch up....Florida schools are just not up to PA standards so it's not surprising they are struggling a bit. ..it's not because they are not smart...and make sure they know that.

Find them each a club or group that they are interested in....don't accept 'I don't want to' as an answer..it's scary putting yourself out there....acknowledge that...but don't let it be an excuse.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:16 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,753 times
Your kids are better off in PA. They'll get a better education there than they will in Florida. I would hire a tutor to bring them up to speed and they should be okay.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:36 PM

703 posts, read 871,053 times
Shame on you for moving around. You shouldn't be moving around when you have kids. You should have never had children if you weren't in the financial situation to have any. It's not fair to them because you are not giving them the opportunity to get settled with their peers, and become involved community members. I'd say join the church, and one that's in their local district, especially if I think you live in Cranberry Twp. That's a good start. Try to get them involved in things again.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:40 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
Shame on you for moving around. You shouldn't be moving around when you have kids. You should have never had children if you weren't in the financial situation to have any. It's not fair to them because you are not giving them the opportunity to get settled with their peers, and become involved community members. I'd say join the church, and one that's in their local district, especially if I think you live in Cranberry Twp. That's a good start. Try to get them involved in things again.
That is just not fair

That is not what she said

Lots of kids move and become adjusted adults...are you bitter? Do you have kids?

Finally, some advice, not shaming...you should have just kept this part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting