Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 04:43 PM

703 posts, read 871,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Lots of kids move and become adjusted adults
Promoting that parents should move around to get well-adjusted kids out of it is a terrible idea. There are other ways of getting them to become well-adjusted adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 05:11 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times
I agree with the part about getting tutors, and joining a church or YMCA, or find a way for them to get involved in activities where they will meet other teens.

It usually takes about 2 years for people to feel "settled" anywhere. We moved 2.5 years ago and still struggle a bit, the kids seem to have found their peer group.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
It is hard on some kids when you move. I agree not to move again. Look into after school clubs for the girls to get involved in, talk to the school counselor for suggestions, see if there are neighborhood activities.

It can take time, sometimes years to make good friends. They'll be okay!

Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 PM

74 posts, read 122,358 times
Quote:
That is just not fair

That is not what she said

Lots of kids move and become adjusted adults...are you bitter? Do you have kids?

Finally, some advice, not shaming...you should have just kept this part

Some people have to move, I take it you don't have any children

Old 01-13-2015, 06:54 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchryies View Post
Some people have to move, I take it you don't have any children
I was defending moving...maybe you misquoted?

Old 01-13-2015, 07:13 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
Promoting that parents should move around to get well-adjusted kids out of it is a terrible idea. There are other ways of getting them to become well-adjusted adults.
I don't want to go off topic but I want to say I was not promoting moving as a way to make a well adjusted adult. Clearly, I wasn't. Putting your own words in my post doesn't make it my post.

To the topic, a major move is considered a "trauma" in a child's life. with out a doubt it is hard, and sometimes damaging. But, like any trauma, parents can help their child survive and then thrive after a trauma. It doesn't have to be a life long trauma. But it takes parental involvement to help smooth things out.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:29 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
Shame on you for moving around. You shouldn't be moving around when you have kids. You should have never had children if you weren't in the financial situation to have any. It's not fair to them because you are not giving them the opportunity to get settled with their peers, and become involved community members. I'd say join the church, and one that's in their local district, especially if I think you live in Cranberry Twp. That's a good start. Try to get them involved in things again.
What a horrible response. Shame on them for moving? For trying to create a better life for the family? Please.

If my husband and I hadn't moved from NJ to SC we'd have become HOMELESS because we could no longer afford to live there after our property taxes went through the roof and my husband was laid off and couldn't find work.

People move for all kinds of reasons, but to imply ANYONE is a bad parent for moving the family to try and create a better life is insulting and patently ignorant. I guarantee PA is a much better environment than FL ever could have been - even if PA is lacking in cultural diversity.

To the OP - I wish you the best. Don't move the kids back to Florida - they are getting a better education which will give them more chances for success in the future. Definitely get tutoring for them so they can catch up. Most schools have sports/clubs that kids can join - are there any that the kids have interest in? Drama? Choir? Yearbook? Cheerleading? Volleyball? Softball? Field hockey?

If you are religious, I also agree with the recommendation to find a church with a vibrant youth program. Is Young Life in your area - consider getting your kids involved with that.

I grew up moving every 3-4 years and every 3-4 years I'd have to start over with making friends and figuring out where my place was. Adjusting can take a while but CAN be accomplished with patience and willingness to get involved.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:33 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
I don't want to go off topic but I want to say I was not promoting moving as a way to make a well adjusted adult. Clearly, I wasn't. Putting your own words in my post doesn't make it my post.
Of course you weren't.
Even I could see that!

People are just twisting things to their agenda.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:50 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,741 times
That's tough. I live in the Pittsburgh area, and I know Florida. I know the schools are better here if you are in the right district. Financially you are better off. You may have to work a little harder fitting in, getting tutors, getting them into some sports or something extra curricular. Its definitely not a huge Hispanic area.

The whole "shame on you thing".... just ignore that person.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:28 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Making friends is the hard part at those ages...But, luckily having four, they have some built in support and friendships.

Get involved in church, or some community situations where they can spread their wings a bit. Get them into whatever they are interested in....groups or volunteering.

I would keep a close eye...At those ages, when they feel like outsiders at school they sometimes gravitate to the only others that well accept them....and that may not be who you want them associating with.

So, take the bull by the horns....Be very proactive, model it for them....and involve them in finding worthwhile causes that they can participate in and volunteer.

It will expand their world views, and they will be better prepared for adulthood. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting