Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 01:48 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually I had all 3 of those and didn't die (amazing!), my kids did get the vaccines for measles and mumps but got chicken pox and also didn't die.
These illnesses weren't mentioned in reference to death; you said that you never missed school. When students have any of the above, they are not allowed in school.

Quote:
Putting a chid on antiobiotics isn't what you'd normally expect from a well-child yearly check-up.
I never said anything about putting a healthy child on an antibiotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 01:56 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCatarre View Post
My father is a doctor and agrees with me, even though he can't openly admit it. I've never been to a doctor in my life. I just went to a nurse to get shots.
Too funny. Of course you were treated at home, by a doctor, your father. If your father sold Hoovers, chances are you would have seen the inside of a doctor's office, right? I was treated at home too, but that's because my pediatrician made house calls.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:18 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
These illnesses weren't mentioned in reference to death; you said that you never missed school. When students have any of the above, they are not allowed in school.

I never said anything about putting a healthy child on an antibiotic.
You can get ill during the summer of another school break. Maybe the poster had chickenpox during one of those times.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:51 AM

551 posts, read 1,574,411 times
Having regular well visits is a good thing to do no matter how old you are. I have a 21, 17 and 13 year old. I still take the younger two every year. My 21 year old daughter now goes on her own annually. Once they hit 18, especially if they leave for college, it is a little harder. I made sure I let my kids know how important it is to take care of their body so hope they will make the decisions to do it on their own.
It is funny though many insurance plans only cover well child visits up to the age of 10, like mine. You think they would encourage you to go to keep you "well". I have to pay out of pocket about $200 each year.
Also, if your child plays a sport annual physicals are required in most states if not all, after elementary school.
Good luck!

Old 08-28-2013, 11:56 AM

I was going to add, immunizations are usually the most expensive part of a well child visit. Many cities offer free immunization clinics. I bring my children there to save money when they need shots. Also, many of the schools do free vision and hearing so why get it done twice? Also, if your child sees a regular opthamologist or optometrist because of glasses or contacts, then they don't need an additional vision test from the doctor.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:56 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
You can get ill during the summer of another school break. Maybe the poster had chickenpox during one of those times...
...and mumps and measles, all during the summer. That would be a first.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I just started reading this thread tonight. Here's my commentary on the first 80 posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
That's my point. Annual doesn't include blood work. Just open your mouth, reflexes, questions, weight, height, etc. The kinds of things I know to check myself. My kids are more likely to tell me about any concerns than a medical professional, at least at this age. I can understand a teen maybe asking a doc some questions they wouldn't ask their parent but the internet is such a great source of medical info as well.

They go for regular eye exams, dental cleanings, etc and as I said if there was a complaint or illness I'd take them to the doc but so far they haven't vomited since they were infants, had any bad falls, any rashes, any long lasting fevers or anything else I couldn't handle here at home.

But I'm guessing younger and less experienced parents would automatically follow up with annual physicals if they are encouraged to do so and if their insurance pays for it.

As stated, you have to be really careful of what you read on the internet. There are only a few good websites and much garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Aren't they free anyways?

I have been getting an annual physical since I can remember.
Under the ACA, most policies have no co-pay for well visits for kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I did notice that my sons hated going to the pediatrician once they reached their pre-teens. They didn't want to be in the waiting room with a bunch of babies and toddlers. I think that had something to do with stopping the yearly check-ups on my end. When they had to go back for sports, I found a family practitioner.
Yes, I've heard that from friends as well. (I have two girls.) It didn't bother my girls. I think moving on to a family practitioner is a good idea in those cases. Just make sure you get one who does a lot of peds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
A well baby visit discovered my daughter's cataracts and resulted in her getting early treatment and a quick recovery.

I don't think they are necessary every year if you're going to the doctor for other reasons but I do think that an expert checking out your child once in a while can help prevent serious issues.
A well check discovered my daughter's melanoma. If she hadn't gone, she'd be dead. That was 12 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Our dr suggested waiting on the HPV until right before college.
I don't want to hijack this thread talking about immunizations, especially that one, but the earlier they start, the better immunity they develop. Plus, it takes six months to complete the series. If you wait till right before college, she might not get all three shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm saying that going to a doctor doesn't always keep you alive. A routine physical for a child wouldn't necessarily include all the many kinds of lab tests, but you can check some things yourself - like an enlarged spleen.

You should go to the doctor as often as you wish in my opinion. If you feel wonderful but need the added reassurance of someone telling you that your health is fine, then that's what you should do.

The question though was about getting annual physicals and some of us do, some of us don't. Some doctors and other professionals now admit that an annual screening test can give one a false sense of security. Some figure the doctor checked them, they're all good for a year and maybe they don't watch for important symptoms and warning signs.

I've read that there is no difference in death rates between those who go to the doctor religiously even when they feel wonderful, and those who go when symptomatic. It comes down to preference.
Please tell us how to check for enlarged spleen. (Disclaimer, I know how.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
Every year until toddler-hood. After that, when/if they needed it.
Until age 2?

Old 08-31-2013, 10:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Dead? Scarlett fever isn't that dangerous. It can have an auto-immune complication that can potentially be life threatening, but even that is pretty unusual. I'm not saying that you shouldn't get an antibiotic for scarlett fever, you should, but saying that he would have been dead without out it is a pretty big stretch.
Scarlet fever isn't *that* dangerous?

Scarlet fever: Complications - MayoClinic.com
If scarlet fever goes untreated, the bacteria may spread to the:

Tonsils
Sinuses
Skin
Blood
Middle ear

Rarely, scarlet fever can lead to rheumatic fever, a serious condition that can affect the:

Heart
Joints
Nervous system
Skin

Now rarely does not mean "never". One of my DD's friends, now about 30 yrs old, had rheumatic fever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In today's world there is almost no such thing as a general practitioner. If you are seeing an internist and happen to mention a rash which is bothering you he will refer you to a dermatologist. I saw an internist for something pretty routine and asked her to remove a few skin tags. She runs to get some contraption which I think was dry ice. She held it up and said "Um let's see , how does this work?" and all she did was burn the hell out of my neck and the skin tag was left untouched.

I'm old enough to remember 1 doctor for the whole family but with so much technology and pharmaceuticals and advancements in medicine there is no way a family can have 1 doctor. Even dentists are specialized into all sorts of sub specialties. There are special pediatricians for allergies, heart problems, respiratory issues, etc. And BTW John, most "regular doctors" will not see children.

When the child of a doctor boasts about never having seen a doctor in his life and to make fun of those of us who do see doctors, all sorts of red flags go up for me.
Pediatricians are basically GPs for kids. Family Practitioners is the newer term for GPs for everyone. Internists are GPs for adults. I work in a pediatricians' office. Generally we treat rashes, skin tags, moles, and the like in office. If the child's problem is outside the doc's area of expertise, s/he will refer out. As was stated earlier, the child of a doctor would probably be treated at home. Our pediatrician's kids seldom come into the office, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Is it really like that where you are? General practitioners are very much still in existence over here and take care of most issues people will have.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post

You probably could have gotten the immunizations done at Wal-greens or other in and out type places, or the county health nurse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
I was going to add, immunizations are usually the most expensive part of a well child visit. Many cities offer free immunization clinics. I bring my children there to save money when they need shots. Also, many of the schools do free vision and hearing so why get it done twice? Also, if your child sees a regular opthamologist or optometrist because of glasses or contacts, then they don't need an additional vision test from the doctor.
For both of you-as of 2013 if you have health insurance you cannot use city/county/state run immunization clinics. If you don't go to the dr to get the IZs, you'll have to go to Walgreen's or equivalent. It is recommended that kids receive a vision and hearing screening at well checks. If a kid is already seeing an eye dr and has had an appt in the past year, we don't do an eye exam; ditto if they see an audiologist we don't do a hearing screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm impressed they gave you an itemized bill. Ours never said anything more than "yearly physical, age 11". My kids are old enough to go the the doctor and dentist on their own now, but I always tell them to refuse unnecessary procedures, such as fluoride treatments. They've never had a cavity, all their molars have sealants, and yet the dentist still pushes the fluoride. This past year they offered to do an oral cancer check, for $60.00. Isn't that part of a regular dental exam? It used to be. I refused, and he did it anyway, but I wasn't charged.

Regarding the shots, our doctor didn't stock the meningitis vaccine, so I got a prescription for it, took it to CVS, and they administered it for the cost of the shot.
I'm kind of surprised your doc didn't have the meningitis vaccine. I'm glad you got it anyway. Too many people never get around to it if they don't get it at their checkup.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:23 AM

208 posts, read 218,668 times
I was never taken to a doctor as a child and I've never gone until now. I just had shots and was taken to the dentist every year. I turned out fine.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:29 AM

@katiana- I have private health insurance not covered through an employer and I can take my children to the free clinic for shots even now. I have a $5000 deductible per member and pay for most everything out of pocket with a member discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting