Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:53 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times

Advertisements

There are risks that come with choosing to vaccinate and there are risks that come with choosing not to vaccinate. The best thing that parents can do is take the time and do the research. There are many different factors to take into consideration. It is a time consuming and often times frustrating process due to all of the conflicting information available but definitely worth the time and effort. After weighing the risks the parent can then make an informed choice and be prepared to deal with the potential consequences of that choice whether they choose to vaccinate or not. There is no right or wrong decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 11:55 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
If you say it is absolutely the parent's right to decide whether or not to vaccinate...

...then it is also the vaccinated society's right to refuse entrance to those who would threaten the herd immunity.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you say it is absolutely the parent's right to decide whether or not to vaccinate...

...then it is also the vaccinated society's right to refuse entrance to those who would threaten the herd immunity.
Why would you fear people who are unvaccinated if you yourself are protected from the disease by the vaccination?

Old 07-29-2009, 12:04 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
Why would you fear people who are unvaccinated if you yourself are protected from the disease by the vaccination?
Because vaccines are not infallible and one of the ways you are protected by a vaccination program is that should your vaccine fail, everyone else around you is immune and won't be giving you the disease...

Like I said...herd immunity.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:19 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,751,086 times
Quote:
Vaccinations are not 100% effective on every individual. But when virtually everyone is immunized, then virtually no one gets the illness, which can ultimately lead to total eradication in the best of worlds. Like smallpox. Now children don't have to receive that vaccine at all. In addition, some vulnerable individuals can't receive the shot, but are extra high-risk should they get the disease. Herd immunity protects the weak.

Sorry - didn't realize I had posted vitualyl the same comment when this thread popped up months ago. Well, at least I'm consistent!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
A couple of things;

1. Schools REQUIRE certain vaccines before kids can be enrolled. There have always been exception made. Sometimes for religion, which is ridiculous. Sometimes for health reason, which are legitimate. But there are proper channels and procedures that apparently have been ignored by this district.

2. HERD IMMUNITY. It's been mentioned before but if you don't know what it means then look it up. If you still wonder what the big deal is or why people who are vaccinated should care about other people's unvaccinated kids, look it up. There is no excuse for this kind of ignorance.

3. Research the diseases in question and read about how they affected society before vaccines were created. There is nothing more disgusting to me than some "bandwagon" parent spouting off about the evils of vaccines and how big pharma or big government is just trying to control their parental choices. Many of them wouldn't be alive today without those big bad vaccines.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
A couple of things;

1. Schools REQUIRE certain vaccines before kids can be enrolled. There have always been exception made. Sometimes for religion, which is ridiculous. Sometimes for health reason, which are legitimate. But there are proper channels and procedures that apparently have been ignored by this district.

2. HERD IMMUNITY. It's been mentioned before but if you don't know what it means then look it up. If you still wonder what the big deal is or why people who are vaccinated should care about other people's un-vaccinated kids, look it up. There is no excuse for this kind of ignorance.

3. Research the diseases in question and read about how they affected society before vaccines were created. There is nothing more disgusting to me than some "bandwagon" parent spouting off about the evils of vaccines and how big pharma or big government is just trying to control their parental choices. Many of them wouldn't be alive today without those big bad vaccines.
1. Most states allow vaccine exemptions for public schools.

2. Of course I know what herd immunity is.

3. I did a ton of research on the subject of vaccines. I spent months going over information and looked at both sides of the issue (pro-vaccine and anti-vaccine). I researched each individual disease. I looked at the rates of disease prior to the vaccination and after. I looked at the risk of complications from the disease as well as the risk of death from the disease. I thought long and hard about what I would do if I decided not to vaccinate and my child came down with a VPD. I weighed all of this information against the safety and concerns of each individual vaccine and came to my own conclusions. This is not a black and white issue.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:08 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
1. Most states allow vaccine exemptions for public schools.
Which is why I gave examples of those exemptions and said there were procedures to handle them.

2. Of course I know what herd immunity is.
Then why ask the question;
"Why would you fear people who are unvaccinated if you yourself are protected from the disease by the vaccination?"
It doesn't sound like you know what it is at all. Or how diseases can get a toe hold over a population.

3. I did a ton of research on the subject of vaccines. I spent months going over information and looked at both sides of the issue (pro-vaccine and anti-vaccine). I researched each individual disease. I looked at the rates of disease prior to the vaccination and after. I looked at the risk of complications from the disease as well as the risk of death from the disease. I thought long and hard about what I would do if I decided not to vaccinate and my child came down with a VPD. I weighed all of this information against the safety and concerns of each individual vaccine and came to my own conclusions. This is not a black and white issue.
No, it's not black and white. But what many cases down to is people fearing their kid will have an adverse reaction and decided it's not worth it, all the while feeling secure since everyone elses kid is immunized. I fully support parents not vaccinating their kids when a medical issue is present. In fact, I wasn't immunized for smallpox when I was a kid because of my own health issues.

At some point certain communicable diseases will once again be an enormous threat to the general public, and these "parental choices" won't be an option. As crude as it sounds society will always protect itself even if a certain % of the population suffers for it.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Because vaccines are not infallible and one of the ways you are protected by a vaccination program is that should your vaccine fail, everyone else around you is immune and won't be giving you the disease...

Like I said...herd immunity.
You're absolutely right, vaccines are not infallible, nor are they safe for 100% of the population (people with certain allergies, or with previous adverse reactions).

Most vaccines don't give a person lifetime immunity to the disease yet we only tend to vaccinate young children and college students. Since immunity from vaccinations wanes over time without boosters there are large portions of the population who have been fully vaccinated yet are not immune. Even if every single person was vaccinated on schedule we still would have large portions of the population who would be susceptible to VPD.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
No, it's not black and white. But what many cases down to is people fearing their kid will have an adverse reaction and decided it's not worth it, all the while feeling secure since everyone elses kid is immunized. I fully support parents not vaccinating their kids when a medical issue is present. In fact, I wasn't immunized for smallpox when I was a kid because of my own health issues.

At some point certain communicable diseases will once again be an enormous threat to the general public, and these "parental choices" won't be an option. As crude as it sounds society will always protect itself even if a certain % of the population suffers for it.
All of the people who I know who have chosen not to vaccinate (or to selectively vaccinate) have agonized over the decision and have spent tons of time researching. I don't know a single parent who has made that decision in ignorance or taken it lightly. Most people don't do any research at all. Most people vaccinate fully, on schedule. I don't see either one of those things changing anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting