Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:50 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on the kid. I have a toddler so this doesn't apply to me yet but I'm imagining that she'd have her own computer but privacy is a privilege not a right. I would definitely give her full disclosure that I have dibs on her accounts.

I think, though, she would have to use her computer in an "open" area of the house. That could change whether or not I feel like she's a good kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 09:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Seems excessive. I mean, they are mobile. I don't see the point in having more computers than people. JMHO
It just ends up that way when you upgrade and keep the older ones instead of throwing them away.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:58 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I have no idea how many computers we have at this point. Each of us has a MacBook Pro laptop (myself, DH and 2 boys), but the storage room is full of computer boxes. Outdated desktops for the most part, but a couple of laptops too. My husband has a weird attachment to them.

My kids are older, nobody had their own computers when they were in elementary school, heck, most families didn't even have them. We had a family desktop that they used until they got to high school when they got their own.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:39 PM

728 posts, read 1,900,147 times
Holy smokes.....and I thought I had too many computers by having just a desk top, laptop and smart phone. I guess it's more common to have one for every room in the house now?

Old 09-15-2013, 12:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
Holy smokes.....and I thought I had too many computers by having just a desk top, laptop and smart phone. I guess it's more common to have one for every room in the house now?
Even though we have many computers, they're not all over the house. We keep five laptops under our sectional. They fit nicely into that wasted space. Where else could we put them when we're not using them?

I can understand wanting to have one designated for the kitchen. I usually carry my laptop in there, but it's too nice to be exposed to the mess of cooking.

Most of ours are used for different things. We have a couple of very powerful gaming computers. We hold onto old computers because some older software only works on older operating systems. They're not just stored away. Sometimes they're pulled out of storage because someone has the urge to use a software that only works on one of them. I view it as gaming systems----people holding onto the old Nintendo even though they have the latest xbox, etc.

I like to have two side by side for certain projects, like when I'm pulling information from multiple places into a spreadsheet. It's easier than having to switch back and forth between windows or do a split screen that's never big enough.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:17 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
We have two desktops, a laptop and a tablet. The laptop belongs to my husband, the tablet belongs to the 8 year old. One of the desktops is mine and the other is for the kids' school work. I have a couple of old computers in the closet, but I don't really count those because we don't use them.

My 11 year old is getting a tablet this year for Christmas. She didn't want one last year when her sister got one.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:39 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
My daughter is too young for a computer yet but I foresee this being something I will disagree with my OH about as he is very against children having their own computer (his little brother is a total computer addict) so it'll probably end in a compromise - own computers but not kept in bedrooms.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:25 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,821,905 times
We have three computers and four people.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:27 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
We have six computers. The kids are 19, 17, 14.

Each of us has our own laptop and there is a desktop in the office. My youngest son has an iPad, which is required by his school. My husband likes to have the extra desktop because when he works at home he likes to have the bigger screen.

We don't monitor the older ones. We are monitoring the younger one less because he is getting older and is a responsible computer user. Most of the sites he visits, outside of school, are sports related.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:42 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
We have a family desktop and my 13 year old has a laptop, but he rarely uses either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting