Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 01:38 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times

Advertisements

We have the most beautiful, wonderful autistic grandson and find STRUCTURE a VERY good thing in his little world. Potty time ever 2 hours...and he is ok with this....sleep and awake time on HIS schedule (Vegas time) REGARDLESS of where he might be visiting family (again, much easier for us than him to adjust) and meal times are set. He snacks all the time, but we are very happy. Yes, we do give him the melatonin at night time, but he gets a true, restful 8 hours of sleep and wakes happy, refreshed and ready for the next day. I ONLY wish he liked to nap, (but that seems to be a grandma need after keeping up with him all morning, and I NEED to learn to adjust that!) LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 07:10 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,014 times
Your child wakes up at 5:30 am? What time does she go to sleep at night?

My first grader gets home from school at 3pm. We have to eat dinner at 5:30pm to be in bed by 7--so that she can wake up at 7am. If we had to push that back an hour and a half, she'd be eating dinner right when she got home from school...How do you do it?

Old 10-15-2013, 07:31 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Your child wakes up at 5:30 am? What time does she go to sleep at night?

My first grader gets home from school at 3pm. We have to eat dinner at 5:30pm to be in bed by 7--so that she can wake up at 7am. If we had to push that back an hour and a half, she'd be eating dinner right when she got home from school...How do you do it?

Well, I was thinking of elaborating my post, but it's not easy. My husband and I both work, so there is no doing homework at 3pm or cooking at 5pm. She wakes at 5:30 and the school bus picks her up at 6:20. Then she goes to school, and Karate after school until 5:30 each day. We get home, she begins homework (if not completed at aftercare) while I start cooking. I help with homework and then we eat dinner. She then takes a shower while DH washes dishes, and then its reading and bedtime. She is in bed by 7:30 each night.

It would be alot easier if I did not work outside of the home, as things could be done much more easily. But yesteday, seeing that she had no homework, we went fora bike ride and played on her playground while dinner was cooking and husband was packing us up for our camping trip this weekend. It can be quite hectic, but its all doable. I even host girl scout meetings on Thursdays! It's all about structure and organization.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
From a different article on the same study, referring to the ones with irregular bedtimes:
"They were more likely to have poor routines such as skipping breakfast, not being read to daily, having a TV in their bedroom and spending longer in front of a TV than children with earlier bedtimes"

I think those things are more likely to effect behaviour than bedtime.
Yes and I think especially with younger school aged kids, just getting them up early to go to school will have them tired and wanting to go to bed. What would keep a 6 year old who is up getting ready for school at 6 am or 7 am still wide awake at 11 pm? I would suspect that in those cases, there's other things going on, mom isn't home from the nightclub, mom and her boyfriend took kids out to a late movie, parents are partying.

Normal households have enough routine for kids, parents themselves have to get up to go to work, everyone is home at a normal time. It doesn't have to be a big fight about bedtimes, kids just need to have some time to unwind, and the fact that they were up since 7 am will have them ready to sleep.

Sometimes though if a child comes home from school and takes a nap, it can make a difference on when they'll want to go to bed for the night, what matters is that overall, they have enough sleep.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:40 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes and I think especially with younger school aged kids, just getting them up early to go to school will have them tired and wanting to go to bed. What would keep a 6 year old who is up getting ready for school at 6 am or 7 am still wide awake at 11 pm? I would suspect that in those cases, there's other things going on, mom isn't home from the nightclub, mom and her boyfriend took kids out to a late movie, parents are partying.

Normal households have enough routine for kids, parents themselves have to get up to go to work, everyone is home at a normal time. It doesn't have to be a big fight about bedtimes, kids just need to have some time to unwind, and the fact that they were up since 7 am will have them ready to sleep.

Sometimes though if a child comes home from school and takes a nap, it can make a difference on when they'll want to go to bed for the night, what matters is that overall, they have enough sleep.
Exactly, its whether they have enough sleep that matters. I know a homeschooling parent who allows a lot of flexibility in bedtime for kids depending on when they get tired and as they don't have to get up at a set time for school they get enough sleep no matter what time they went to bed.

When I was a kid we never had much routine as my parents were firm believers in flexibility and in kids fitting in with the parents' schedule rather than the other way round, but we didn't have those other issues mentioned in the article I read - we were read to, we never skipped breakfast, didn't have tvs in our rooms and although we watched quite a lot of tv (indeed one of the reasons I didn't have a set bedtime was because I got to stay up til after 10 on wednesday nights to watch a particular tv program with my dad) but as young kids we didn't have much behaviour problems (except for one brother who had learning difficulties), not until the teen angst years anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting