Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:59 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Weirdest Halloween yet here.

We've been waiting on predicted storms all week, with the worst of it expected to move through during prime trick-or-treat time. People started freaking out about moving it to Friday, then said be ready either night just in case.

We ended up with 30 MPH winds, so no one went out. It was just so odd!

I hope everyone turns out tomorrow night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 05:00 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
In our old area we hardly got any kids, mostly older folks. We recently moved this year and last night we had about hundred and fifty kids!

We were warned that that they close the streets behind our house and around the lake tons of kids come over, those folks on the lake spend hundreds of dollars on the candy. We bought about 100 dollars worth thinking there is no way we would run out and later donate the rest.

The influx of kids and cars coming to our area began at dusk and we ran out by 8:45. We still had kids knocking on our door till 9:15.

I have to say it was a 100 bucks well worth seeing all the little faces, and I felt great.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:10 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,405 times
Love hearing these big turnouts.

This was out last Halloween overseas and cant wait to be back in the thick of it next year. My wife takes the kids and I hand out candy or we switch up. I love doing both, its such a great holiday that really is all about kids having fun and being able to binge on some candy they normally dont have access to.

I loved it as a kid, we used to dump our bags of candy in the living room and after the parents picked their favorites, lol, we would trade amongst ourselves for our own favorites and normally I would get a pretty bad stomach ache from eating so much of it that night.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:51 AM

472 posts, read 547,716 times
Didn't get as many kids this year, must've been due to a school night. It's always great to see lots of kids out in the neighborhood tho.
Most people take it for granted but being a kid who did not grow up in the US and having someone explain to us the concept of Halloween for the first time many years ago was unreal - wait, so you're saying we put on mask, knock on people's door, and they give you candy? Really? No way! America is so awesome!!!
I remember vividly our first Halloween - us kids collected probably 2 full grocery bags of candy and killed in within a week (and got pretty sick in the process and probably still paying for related dental work now). Our kids will get a week reprieve from no candy policy, we'll just have to brush their teeth more often, eat extra veggies, and swim extra laps.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:28 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I miss the days of dressing the kids up and taking them out. When they were very young we lived in neighborhoods with lots of houses. We moved to a neighborhood with few houses when they were still young enough to trick or treat. I was that "bad" parent that drove them to a nearby neighborhood. I did have a family member there though.

Because of concerns with storms and wind, our county changed trick or treat hours to tonight. I'm always hopeful we get lots of kids, but we rarely do. I think the most we've had in the last ten years has been twenty. I typically buy full-size candy bars at Sam's Club and let the ones that do show up pick out their favorite. I figure if they walk down the long drive way and the street to my house, they deserve a treat. This is the first time in 23 years I've not carved a pumpkin. I've been out of town and didn't feel like doing it this year. One of the benefits of being an empty-nester: don't have to carve pumpkins or put out Halloween decorations if I don't feel like it.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:42 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
What parent hasn't dipped into their kids' Halloween candy a little bit? With permission, of course. My kids were always very generous to old mom...

Halloween night was always a pig out fest at our house - I'd let them eat as much of their candy as they wanted, as long as they didn't get sick. It was tougher for their cousins. Their mom and grandma didn't like them to have sweets, and rationed out their Halloween candy...one piece, per night...after dinner. It probably lasted past Thanksgiving.

Sorry, just a little bit off topic, but did anyone see the Jimmy Kimmel Halloween Candy Challenge a couple of years ago, where he asked parents to tell their kids that "mom and dad ate all their Halloween candy" and send videos of their reactions?

Check it out on You Tube. It's hysterical! Mean, but hysterical!

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 11-01-2013 at 08:52 AM..

Old 11-01-2013, 09:09 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Yes my kids go trick or treating, our neighborhood organizes an event. We do not have sidewalks and have pretty large lots, so the kids pile onto decorated trailers and trick or treat that way.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:09 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,249 times
Out turnout was lil lighter this year. DH & DS sat at end driveway and handed out candy.

Towards the end, they were sitting out there and DH says to DS start handing hand-fuls of candy so we won't have to bring it back inside. So, a family comes up 3 kids and a dad carrying a baby. All the kids got handfuls and then the Dad says "here I have a bag for the baby" DH says DS looked at the guy and handed him one piece!!! The guy looked at DS funny said "thanks" and walked away. DS said to DH "you know that candy wasn't for the baby."

It's funny to me cause I've never had a discussion with DS about adults trick or treating for babies. He just knew it wasn't right. It will be funny family story

Last edited by cislga; 11-01-2013 at 09:19 AM..

Old 11-01-2013, 10:10 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times
I let my kid trick-or-treat, and there were a fair amount of other kids that came to my house.

I did notice something new this year, that hasn't happened before (that I noticed, anyway). Parents were out with kids young enough (1-2 years old) in strollers. The kid wouldn't even come to the door (some were young enough they couldn't walk), so the dad would come to the door and get candy. Ummm, so is that candy really for your kid who is asleep in their stroller and doesn't even comprehend what's going on? Or is it for the 30-somethings that think it's appropriate to take their sleeping one year-old out trick-or-treating? It was weird.

EDIT: cislga - just read your post! Yes, it is weird! I never would've thought of gathering candy for my infant daughter.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:44 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
My aunt and uncle said that they had about 200 kids and my kids are all grown and the grands went out last night and my son called me and said they ran into alot of kids his gf was staying home to hand out candy and they said they had a good hundred kids as well . she says she had candy left over I guess they did because she bought like 12 bags of the 100 pieces at costco . I told her she would have candy left over ....LOL it was done by 9 pm she also told me kind of cold here but in florida it was humid and all the kids were out .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting