Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,880,556 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...hese-days.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,523,565 times
There was a kindergarten student one year in the school I taught in who had severe allergies to everything and had to have an epipen on him at all times. His mom asked that the teacher sit with him at lunch at the end of the table away from the other kids. It almost made me cry to see this little 6yr old boy sitting at the end of the lunch table with the teacher. The teacher gave up her free period for this little guy. You'd see his mom up at the school 2 or 3 times a day checking on him.

I was doing a school tour of a preschool I was interested in sending my son to and in every classroom & at the end of every hall was notice of peanut allergies & this school did not allow any treats to be brought in for holidays or bdays b/c of allergies!!!! Students were only allowed to bring in crafts or cards Brown lunch bags were not permitted due to the green factor but parents were "asked" to put a note in the child's lunch bag stating main ingredigents. I was quite taken back b/c it was so extreme yet at the same time made complete sense yet was so extreme!

I know I am blessed that I have children who are severely allergic to foods but I don't remember it being so severe when I was a child.

Anyone know why or how this has exploded to such a level?

Last edited by 121804; 09-02-2008 at 09:26 PM..

Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,337,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
It's really not that hard. My son loves PB, and I already posted about my best friend's daughter with the severe allergies.... well, for a while they were in the same school, and my son, at age 9, took it upon himself to "decontaminate". He generally just avoided PB in the mornings but if he had some, he'd thoroughly wash his hands and face. He'd ask for PB alternatives in his lunch (cream cheese and jelly, for example)... even his younger brother, at 5, understood my friend's daughter's allergies enough to want to be careful. I think if the children understand what is at stake with some of their classmates, they will WANT to be careful also.

We are aware, and even though their current school doesn't have any particular "policies", we voluntarily refrain from sending items that we know are 'dangerous' when the school requests snacks for a party or whatever. It's not that hard to do. There is a LOT of food out there that is safe and tastes just as good. We still eat a lot of PB and nut products and all that at home, just not at parties/school events.

Homeschooling is not an option for MANY (most?) who have to work. Especially if they're single. The peanut issue is not just one rare kid anymore... it's fairly widespread for whatever reasons.
If my kid had a life threatening allergy like this, I'd do whatever I had to do to leep them at home and safe. I would never trust other kids and their parents to follow peanut rules.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:17 PM

895 posts, read 4,252,683 times
I have to throw this out there again. OMG--I couldn't find anything to feed my daughter for lunch tomorrow!! At the orientation today, I made a comment about it to her teacher and she touched on the sensitivity of the topic and that they were going to go through every child's lunch every day and take out the inappropriate items. If the child is still hungry, they are going to give them something from a communal school box. My issue is that almost everything I picked up today at Costco and the supermarket said "traces of peanuts." I told my husband that I was scared to make her a cheese sandwich because I had made my other daughter a peanut butter sandwich on the same counter. I think I have to scrub my counter before I can make my other child's lunch. I'm sorry but this is just not worth it to me. I'm paying $5500 a year for my THREE YEAR OLD to go to school and if I have to jump through hoops like this, maybe they need to provide lunches that are appropriate.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:47 AM

112 posts, read 320,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
The red patches of itchy eczema..
Food allergies can cause eczema?
I wonder what I'm eating wrong then.
I'm covered constantly from head to toe, for the last fifteen years.
I don't drink milk, but eat a lot of milk products, ice cream is a big one.
I just wish it would go away. ;[

Old 10-06-2008, 06:08 AM

850 posts, read 3,161,554 times
Do you guys wonder why - all of a sudden it seems - there are so many children with violent food allergies? When I was growing up, and even when my okder boys were in school, it was rare to have a situation where a child was this allergic.

I dabble a bit in nutrition and health research, and it seems to me it is coming from the chemicals and the processing itself. Has to be - just like vaccines - which have been 'altered' over the years. My third child, born March of this year, was Lactose intolerant from the start. His first bottle in the hospital (I could not nurse due to my health issues) did not take long to turn this baby into a seemingly collicky, horribly upset baby. It dawned on my husband and I after his thrid feeding, and we took it upon ourselves to chnage his formula. Daddy is lactose intolerant and it just made sense. We toild the nursery what we needed to do and that we had the formula (dad went to the store to make sure we got the right stuff), and the nurses agreed. Poor baby ended up having his stomach pumped to get rid of the other dormula, and thank goodness did very well on his lacto free formula.

Thankfully we discovered this extremely soon, and I am happy to say as we have introduced other foods, nothing else has turned up. I evn tried a little dab of peanut butter on my finger a few times, and thankfully, nothing but a yummy reaction.

Now comes the battle of soon replacing his formula with 'regular' milk, and we are researching to figure out what is going to be best. Looks like possibly soy milk, but still looking.

Poor kids. It's pitiful when they are so young and get so ill from food - or anything.

As far as the detailed list from the school about allergies - I too, appreciate the time someone took to compile, but how can other parents be expected to so decontaminate their kids for one other? I agree, if allergies are that life-threatening, perhaps home schooling, or another alternative should be sought. What do these parents do when going out in public? Eating out, snacks at the mall, etc.? I've wondered how that works!

Bless the poor little ones!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:46 PM

697 posts, read 2,017,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I'm sad to say it, but if my child were this allergic to anything, I'd seriously consider homeschooling. We eat lots of pbjs, and often at breakfast. I just can't be held responsible for forgetting to decontaminate them before sending them to school!
My feelings exactly.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:44 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,878,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I'm sad to say it, but if my child were this allergic to anything, I'd seriously consider homeschooling. We eat lots of pbjs, and often at breakfast. I just can't be held responsible for forgetting to decontaminate them before sending them to school!

Wow, the kindest thing that I can say is that you are incredibly selfish.
I wonder how you would feel if it was your kid at risk and you were faced with parents having the same self-centered outlook.
Shameful.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:22 PM

909 posts, read 3,367,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post

LIST OF FOODS THAT CURRENTLY DO NOT CONTAIN PEANUT SUBSTANCES

“Safe” foods
Cereals: Cheerios (plain), Life (cinnamon and regular), Cocoa Puffs, Quaker Crunchy Corn Bran, Corn Flakes, Crispix, Raisin Bran, Post Honey Bunches of Oats.

Crackers: Ak-Mak 100% whole wheat, Breton, Triscuit, Wheatines, Ritz (but not bits cheese sandwiches), Saltines.

Cookies: Chips Ahoy (regular), Fig, Apple and Raspberry Newtons, most Tea Biscuits, Pepperidge Farm cookies: Avalon, Milano , Monaco and Bordeaux , Oreos (regular), Hain animal cookies and most other animal cookies.

Chips: Pringles, Ruffles, Fritos, Lays, Kettle chips, Sun Chips, Guiltless Gourmet Tortilla, Garden of Eatin’ Blue Tortilla , Tostitos.

Pretzels/Popcorn: Rokeach Dutch and most other Bavarian pretzels, Rolled Gold, Trader Joe’s Honey Wheat Pretzels, most microwave popcorn, air popped popcorn.

Other snacks: Stella D’Oro Breadsticks (original or sesame), Nutrigrain Cereal Bars, Cheez n’ Crackers and Cheez n’ Breadsticks, applesauce, fruit cups, dried fruit (not trail mix), Betty Crocker Fruit Roll-Ups, Betty Crocker Fruit by the Foot, Betty Crocker Fruit Gushers.

Lunch foods: Cheese, cream cheese, Kraft Macaroni n’ Cheese, Pasta with tomato sauce, Trader Joe’s Soy Butter (crunchy or smooth-it really tastes like peanut butter), Veggies Slices soy cheese, Tofutti “Better than Cream Cheese” soy spread, Light Life Smart Deli Meatless Tofu Slices, Yves Vegi Dogs, Smart Dogs, tuna, salmon, chopped egg, hummus spread.

The above are just some suggestions. There are many other possibilities that you can find by reading labels.

We are almost/not quite there yet. A new family with a severely allergic to nuts/child just started coming to the church and their kids are in the nursery. I wanted to bring animal crackers for my own kids' snack, but the label said, "made on equipment shared with nuts" so I just brought Cheerios. But when I asked the caregiver she said the child's sister (not tested yet) had animal crackers so I guess it was okay. Would've like to talk to the mother though.

I know it must seem like quite an imposition when you suddenly find yourself having to restock your shelves. But the list posted above is quite extensive, and I'm think surely there must be many things on it my kids would like to eat. As with anything else, there will be an adjustment period, but after that the kids will move on

[quote=[B]mimimomx3][/b]
I'm sad to say it, but if my child were this allergic to anything, I'd seriously consider homeschooling. We eat lots of pbjs, and often at breakfast. I just can't be held responsible for forgetting to decontaminate them before sending them to school! [quote/]

I think all that's required is that they brush their teeth and wash their face and hands. It can't be that hard. I have to wash my kids' faces and hands after every meal since they are so young.

Life is going to be hard enough once the kid leaves home for college, but I've heard from many parents of allergic children. They grow up very fast, learning what they can and cannot eat, what kinds of questions to ask before eating. The least the rest of us can do is try to help them out.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:27 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,356,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
I have to throw this out there again. OMG--I couldn't find anything to feed my daughter for lunch tomorrow!! At the orientation today, I made a comment about it to her teacher and she touched on the sensitivity of the topic and that they were going to go through every child's lunch every day and take out the inappropriate items. If the child is still hungry, they are going to give them something from a communal school box. My issue is that almost everything I picked up today at Costco and the supermarket said "traces of peanuts." I told my husband that I was scared to make her a cheese sandwich because I had made my other daughter a peanut butter sandwich on the same counter. I think I have to scrub my counter before I can make my other child's lunch. I'm sorry but this is just not worth it to me. I'm paying $5500 a year for my THREE YEAR OLD to go to school and if I have to jump through hoops like this, maybe they need to provide lunches that are appropriate.
It is the same at my daughters prek.

We are using the Sunbutter product, which tastes almost like PB, and jelly. She doesn't seem to mind it.

I usually stick w/fresh fruit or veggies, and yogurt/crackers/pudding, something like that. Raisins, cantaloupe, carrots, cucumber, stuff like that. Come winter, I am going to buy a thermos and look into mac and cheese, or some other hot foods. I haven't even checked into them yet.

she can't have fish either, tuna or salmon or any of them, because there is another child allergic to fish. She doesn't like fish anyhow so it doesn't matter.

Yes, a lot of snacks seem to contain "traces of Peanuts", which is why I am trying to skip the packaged stuff altogether. Really, if you can cut it up yourself, it is probably ok. This is better for the kid, anyway, if you can get away with it. My daughter is a good eater so it hasn't been difficult to work around.

And this topic was beaten to death in two threads.

I do think these private schools could just provide the lunch if they are charging that much tuition. Especially when they are small schools, it would just be easier. (my daughter ate the sunbutter sandwich for 4 days before they verified that it was sunbutter not peanut butter) I know what you mean about being nervous, because one day I almost sent her w/peanut butter because I grabbed the wrong jar.

This little boy, TEDDY, is so ADORABLE!!! I don't know how his parents manage, that is so many allergies to things that are so common. i mean wheat dairy and peanuts. OMG, what else is there? That is so difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting