Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,337,633 times

Advertisements

I disagree with her parents not being forced to pay the balance of her private high school. They're the ones who signed her up for it.

If they're so fed up with her, why not just give her the college fund and let her figure out life on her own. Let her be on her merry way.

Oh, and... It's THEIR fault that she's spoiled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 06:43 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,029,494 times
The only thing I think her parents need to pay for her is her high school tuition. They put her in that school, they should pay for it. And if I were them I would pay that. Looks better to the judge IMO.

As for her tuition for college HA! I paid for my college and am still paying off those loans for another 4-5 more years! I hope no judge makes her pay. If she wants to be a big girl and leave because mom and dad don't like her bf, that's HER problem, not her parents.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,314,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
A judge Tuesday ruled against New Jersey teen Rachel Canning, who sued her parents for expenses and education tuition after she says they tossed her out of their Lincoln Park home last year.

Read more: Local and Breaking News for NYC and the Boroughs - NY Daily News

Rachel Canning, 18, won't get $650 weekly child support or payment of her private high school tuition from estranged parents Sean and Elizabeth Canning, a judge decided Tuesday. But a second hearing on the suit is scheduled for next month, and the Morris Catholic High School senior could still force her parents to pay up her impending college costs.
Than you for posting an update. We'll have to wait a month to find out. Even if she loses, this lawsuit was necessary in another important aspect. Her taking them to court proves she is estranged from her parents so their income won't be taken into consideration when determining her qualifying for financial aid. Financial aid offices require documentation of estrangement---police reports and such. This lawsuit meets the criteria regardless of what the judge rules next month.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:08 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,275,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
If I was the college admissions department, I'd withdraw her acceptance to my university. Just trouble waiting to rear it's ugly head against any of the universities.

I agree

Also, forevermore, her name will be associated with this event. All future employers, etc., that google her will come across this story and may have second thoughts.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:35 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,791,175 times
Overpriviledged brat...seriously.

I'm watching the news now and I'm so irritated that this is the FIRST breaking news story for the evening. They raised that pretentious, ungrateful shrew and honestly, I'm unsympathetic to both parties.

I'm not sure if the defect is in her upbringing versus cultural molding, but she needs to get a job and work for the cost of her education.

When I was 18, I had no one to support me. My parents were divorced and my mother had a part time job. My father was/is quite wealthy, but he did not want to provide for the cost of my education (long story). When I attended college, I took out loans and had to work part time, in addition to carrying 5-7 courses/semester. I went on to become a physician, and care for myself.

WHen stories like these pop up, I get irked and simply shake my head. That girl isn't entitled to anything. Not a single thing.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:04 PM

$650 a week?! FOR WHAT?! Manis and pedis?

Thank goodness the case was thrown out. Love how in one picture she's smirking and in the next she's gasping... If I were her parents I'd tell her she's out of my life unless she gets on her knees and BEGS for forgiveness. And even then I wouldn't pay for her education anymore. She'd get a roof and food and that's about it.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:09 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,791,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
$650 a week?! FOR WHAT?! Manis and pedis?

Thank goodness the case was thrown out. Love how in one picture she's smirking and in the next she's gasping... If I were her parents I'd tell her she's out of my life unless she gets on her knees and BEGS for forgiveness. And even then I wouldn't pay for her education anymore. She'd get a roof and food and that's about it.
I just saw on the news that there's another hearing next month. But I'm not certain what for?

Old 03-04-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
I just saw on the news that there's another hearing next month. But I'm not certain what for?
The first hearing denied her "emergency $650/week" emergency my butt!

The second hearing is about tuition and I'm 100% sure no judge would rule in her favor. It would set a very bad precedent.

Funny how the plaintiff lawyer is saying the parents don't care and don't reach out to their daughter, but the defendants attorney says they have been asking her daughter to come home. And love how she's been in so much trouble during the school year she was stripped of being Captain of the Cheerleaders and her lawyer says instead of punishing or reprimanding her, they should "help her." Seriously? I think an arse-whooping is all this girl needs.

18 is an adult, period.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:21 PM

311 posts, read 452,290 times
With college costs they way they are right now, I don't blame her for trying. Teens these days are guaranteed to be saddled with massive student loans and debt that their parents cannot have fathomed would have happened to them. Tuition in the 60s and 70s were hardly the tune they are now, perhaps in the hundreds for some public colleges (as my former boss would brag about).

However, I don't think she's entitled to a free college tuition. She needs to learn that things don't come easy in this world.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:33 PM

241 posts, read 317,974 times
Don't really have a dog in this fight but it's funny to me how so many people claim things are legal and illegal without looking at the law or the facts of the case. Half the people in this thread claim to know definitely how the judge is going to rule, and that is just impossible. I've read and/or been apart of too many cases where it appeared clear cut one way and the ruling went a completely different way. Heck, who thought Citizen's United would be decided how it was? Did you really think Roberts would validate Obamacare? The moral of the story is if a case makes it past initial pleadings the judge feels there is a valid legal question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting