Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:17 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times

Advertisements

I didn't read most of this tread but in our house, they did chores because they lived there. They cleaned up after themselves and helped around the house because they are part of the family and I don't wear a black dress with a white apron They were not given an allowance. I had a list of extra jobs they could do to earn money though--generally harder chores...or really, stuff I hated doing like mopping floors .

Our kids start helping as soon as they were able--young, a year or so-by helping put toys in the toy box when they were done and working up from there. They actually did more in elementary school ages then high school because they were busy with school, homework, etc. but in the summers they were 100% responsible for keeping the house clean and doing laundry. They each picked a level of the house and it was their job to keep that level clean each week. They picked a new level each week on a rotating basis. That is as close to a "chart" as they got because they learned early on that they didn't get to play until their room was cleaned up

They are all college students or older now and are very responsible kids--and actually keep their dorm rooms fairly clean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
How many kids get scholarships out of their extracurriculars?

Your anecdotes doesn't count for any more than Mattie's do.
A lot of kids--and don't forget that it's not just sports. Both of our kids got scholarships for extracurriculars, one sports, but also music, volunteer work and being active in their church (technically no, those are extracurriculars--I know). All of their friends got academic scholarships of various sizes, as did our kids--which are substantially more than their other scholarships though. No, the full-ride football scholarships are few and far between though...but $2000 here, $2000 there and it adds up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, the scholarships my kids got from their colleges did not specify exactly why they got them. We just figured it was grades primarily, plus school activities (NHS, etc) and then maybe outside activities such as church and scouts. Ironically, my older daughter actually got a scholarship from her employer as well!
Financial aid scholarships are not the same thing....true merit scholarships will have specifics for what the award is for--grades, music performance, whatever....they aren't just random.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
A lot of kids--and don't forget that it's not just sports. Both of our kids got scholarships for extracurriculars, one sports, but also music, volunteer work and being active in their church (technically no, those are extracurriculars--I know). All of their friends got academic scholarships of various sizes, as did our kids--which are substantially more than their other scholarships though. No, the full-ride football scholarships are few and far between though...but $2000 here, $2000 there and it adds up

Financial aid scholarships are not the same thing....true merit scholarships will have specifics for what the award is for--grades, music performance, whatever....they aren't just random.
Where did I say my kids got scholarships for financial aid? Be specific.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Where did I say my kids got scholarships for financial aid? Be specific.
When they got a scholarship for "no reason" from their schools....

Old 03-18-2014, 01:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
When they got a scholarship for "no reason" from their schools....
That's not specific and you are wrong! We would have been happy to qualify for fin. aid but we didn't. I didn't say "no reason", either. The letters were not specific. Scholarship usually presumes academic merit.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:38 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,647,609 times
Quote:
That's not specific and you are wrong! We would have been happy to qualify for fin. aid but we didn't. I didn't say "no reason", either. The letters were not specific. Scholarship usually presumes academic merit.
There's ALWAYS a reason for a scholarship. When one applies for it, the paperwork tells you what the requirements are! There are plenty of scholarships out there that are not merit based.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,206,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I never said either of those things. You appear to have some sort of issue where you feel the need to assign meaning to my words instead if reading what I actually wrote.

Sometimes teachers can have more information about children than their parents do with regards to specific situations, the exact same way their doctors or peers can. I don't know why that equates to "counting more" in your head but that is clearly YOUR issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Completely misconstrued my point. Which is and remains, that it is foolish to think that only through working a minimum wage job can children learn a work ethic AND that children clearly know what matters most to their parents and if you emphasize working for a wage as most important, than that is exactly what you can expect in return.

Asking people their end goal for their children is a known method for getting them to think about what they actually want from and for their children. There is frequently a disconnect for many of us about our short term and long term goals for our children.
You said what you said, and you implied that my opinion was somehow meaningless. I just pointed out that your opinion is just an opinion, also. And where did anyone say anything about working for a wage being "most important?"

~~~

I'd love some stats on what percentage of kids get scholarships from their extracurriculars, and how much they are. A few people have indicated that "a lot" of kids get them. Numbers? Of all the kids on a given sports team, how many get a college scholarship out of it? Not many, I think.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:47 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,208,032 times
Baby steps. Teach them to do small things. Every day they should have some chores. Not big ones, but enough for them to learn how to do a job and do it well.

That being said, I think paying your children to do chores is a bad, bad idea. They are just expected to do that to play their role in the family. Mom and Dad don't get paid, so neither should a son or a daughter. If you want to couch things in terms of earning an allowance, that's acceptable. But if you pay for individual chores, you'll just wind up negotiating the price on every single thing you ask them to do.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,206,691 times
A quick google search tells me that 2% of HS athletes go on to play in college (i.e. get a scholarship). Obviously there are other activities and other types of scholarships, but 2% is not "a lot."

Old 03-18-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You said what you said, and you implied that my opinion was somehow meaningless. I just pointed out that your opinion is just an opinion, also. And where did anyone say anything about working for a wage being "most important?"

~~~

I'd love some stats on what percentage of kids get scholarships from their extracurriculars, and how much they are. A few people have indicated that "a lot" of kids get them. Numbers? Of all the kids on a given sports team, how many get a college scholarship out of it? Not many, I think.
Again, extracurriculars are not just sports. Our son got a scholarship for band, some friends kid got a scholarship for speech--heck, she got 1/2 merit, 1/2 speech so she isn't paying a dime for school . Looking at the 50 or so kids our kids hung out with in high school, all of them got either merit or a scholarship for an EC, or both. Size of the awards vary from $500 to full-rides. For our daughter's sports team, every senior in the past 8 years has been offered a scholarship. They didn't all take them because they were not all interested in playing in college. Our high school soccer team, which is so-so, usually has a handful of kids get scholarships at the DI or DII level. Basketball, girls, usually have 2 kids get scholarships--out of 3 or 4 seniors--each year, usually at the DII level but a few at the DI level. I know of volleyball teams that the entire senior class gets scholarship offers....it just depends. Keep in mind that it's not just the football teams you see on tv that give scholarships too, DI, DII and NAIA all give scholarships and there are 2000+ colleges that fall into those classes...that's a lot of scholarships. Our daughter's offers ranged from $2500-$15,000 depending on the school....

Now, lets talk about extracurriculars outside of sports....music, forensics, student government

Not to mention scholarships for NMF, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting