Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:54 AM

18 posts, read 40,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
The key for me in your original post is that she's an introvert. We tend to favor (and better manage) just one or two close relationships at a time. More than that is really draining. What you perceive as dropping everything for a boy would be for me shifting my focus and managing my energy. It's not something we do on purpose, but it's how it tends to work.

I did this, and my adult daughter has as well. It works itself out.
Ah, now that's different. I had not even considered this possibility. She is truly a pretty shy person. Prefers the indoors, small groups, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 06:44 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,398,458 times
I would not forbid the relationship, because this is a guaranteed way to cause her to cement herself further to this boy. Bring him further into your family, and invite him over if they want to see each other.

Give her opportunities to bond with her friends. Invite them on weekend trips or shopping trips. Tell her that you will treat her and her friend to something she wants. Maybe have a game night at home one weekend night and either invite the boyfriend or a different friend.

My parents did this for me, and I finally realized what a jerk I was dating. Thank goodness!
They also sent me to college far away.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:01 PM

18 posts, read 40,777 times
All, I have a follow-up. Mid term reports came out, and the grades are almost all C's and a D. This is NOT good.

We've nabbed the electronics, and are trying to use many of the suggestions here. As everyone knows, college (even public) is 'SPENSIVE. We've made that point exceedingly clear to her, and now we try to reverse the trend.

Thanks to all for your encouragement and advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting