Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,158,731 times

Advertisements

unbelievable

Start saving now: Day care costs more than college in 31 states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 01:09 AM

501 posts, read 934,711 times
Uh, yeah.

We're paying about $80,000 in daycare costs for our child from birth through age 5, which is about double what a college education would cost in our state.

It's not just daycare - it is full on early childhood education, and we choose to send her to one of the most expensive programs out there. We believe it is worth the cost.

But yeah, when I hear parents whine about college costs, who have had 18 years to save up for college, I mentally dig out the worlds smallest violin and start playing the saddest song ever.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:42 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,261,215 times
Insane costs! Daycare costs about 200 dollars a month on average here (no more than 400 dollars for the highest earners), I can't imagine anyone would send their kids to daycare if it cost that much here.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Insane costs! Daycare costs about 200 dollars a month on average here (no more than 400 dollars for the highest earners), I can't imagine anyone would send their kids to daycare if it cost that much here.
Yes, but my tax rate for 2013 was 14%, and I'm a high earner. I've heard our taxes in the US are much lower than Europe.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:51 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,261,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Yes, but my tax rate for 2013 was 14%, and I'm a high earner. I've heard our taxes in the US are much lower than Europe.
Yeah our taxes are higher but I prefer it that way than lower taxes and higher out-of-pocket expenses. I just view net rather than gross as my income, then it seems fine (I pay 20%, OH pays around 30%).

Old 04-10-2014, 04:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,363,892 times
Quote:
Uh, yeah.

We're paying about $80,000 in daycare costs for our child from birth through age 5, which is about double what a college education would cost in our state.

It's not just daycare - it is full on early childhood education, and we choose to send her to one of the most expensive programs out there. We believe it is worth the cost.

But yeah, when I hear parents whine about college costs, who have had 18 years to save up for college, I mentally dig out the worlds smallest violin and start playing the saddest song ever.
Well, you choose to waste money on day care like that so I have an even smaller violin. I also suspect that if you put that much effort into daycare that you won't be satisfied with a state directional and given you are such a "high earner", your costs annually for college today, will be more like $60,000/YEAR so your day care costs are a drop in the bucket compared to what you will be paying in 15 years....probably $150,000/year or so....

Old 04-10-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Well, you choose to waste money on day care like that so I have an even smaller violin. I also suspect that if you put that much effort into daycare that you won't be satisfied with a state directional and given you are such a "high earner", your costs annually for college today, will be more like $60,000/YEAR so your day care costs are a drop in the bucket compared to what you will be paying in 15 years....probably $150,000/year or so....
I graduated from a pretty inexpensive state school, so I'm not particularly beholden to expensive private college..I'm estimating it will be about $60,000 a year, which we have already set aside enough for and don't have to save any additional.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, you choose to waste money on day care like that so I have an even smaller violin.
Well, it's sort of what daycare costs around here and I suppose I could tell my wife to quit her job but I can tell you that won't go over very well with her. She seems to enjoy working and I let her work and daycare take care of my kids during the day.

We could go cheaper by sending our kid to someone's home, but I think the quality of home based daycares is suspect, and some of them are especially suspect. We could save money by finding a cheaper regular daycare but we don't have to and we like the one that she goes to.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:47 AM

7,490 posts, read 4,967,449 times
I'm going to open up a private school stream day care that offers one other language, dance, art, gallery, painting, drawing, rhythm, musical instruments, drama, theatre, ceramics, paper folding, scissors, shadow play, the environment, and outdoor education. Would parents pay $60k per child to have this enriched learning environment?

Old 04-10-2014, 06:26 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,238,002 times
Quote:

And some of us roll our eyes when someone has one wee one with a double income with little insight as to what different situations families face. I have 18 years to save for a disabled child that will never be independent, I guess that is too bad for his college-capable brother. Been a parent for a few years and have everything figured out eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting