Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:36 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

I had my first BB gun by age 6, .22 by age 9 and we routinely played with various toy guns that shot little pellets or whatnot.

I lived on the edge of a small town with woods and fields where I would go shoot things after school (like corn cobs or pop cans etc.)

Gun safety was RIGOROUSLY taught and we knew the difference between real guns and pretend guns. Real guns were either pointed at the ground, the air or the target....nothing else.

I currently have no guns other than a pellet gun but thats because I'm in a more urban area and have nowhere to conveniently shoot and police response to my house is literally 30 seconds as I live 4 blocks from the police station in a very nice area so when you call they are there instantly the one time I had someone trying to steal stuff from my garage.

So, to me it really depends on the parents and the kids personality and whatnot. There is no right or wrong answer IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 09:40 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
No. The boys will learn to shoot at the range with dad and his real guns (secured, obviously) when they are older and ready. Not sure when that will be. We are very strict about guns in this house and play toys with them is not part of that.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:50 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
toy gun is an oxymoron to me

my grandfather lost an eye to a BB gun

I lost several cats to kids playing with air rifles and BB guns

Too many stories about really little kids finding guns and thinking they were toys shooting and killing a sibling

Old 04-11-2014, 11:46 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Guns? Yes, I shot the neighbor kid out of a tree with a BB gun and got whipped.

I would have been more afraid of Lawn Darts as a parent. My sister and I got them for Christmas one year took them out of the box and immediately started throwing them AT each other. They were like a foot long death dart.

Last edited by Jaded; 04-11-2014 at 01:53 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 11:51 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Do they even make toy guns except water guns anymore?

Old 04-11-2014, 12:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
I grew up with cap guns and water pistols. As an adult, my home has never had a real gun.

My kids have had Nerf guns, water guns, Air soft guns, paintball guns, rubber band guns and no doubt turned all kinds of things into guns at one point or another. Neither child has had any issues resulting from such.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:10 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,171 times
8-yr old and he does not have any toy guns. He does have a water gun and a bow an' arrow, however.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:32 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
My 4 yo doesn't have any. I'm not vehemently against it and I don't think they particularly contribute to violence, however I'm not crazy about the idea and am not going to go out and buy one, and he's never asked for it. I haven't seen many of his peers play with them either. I definitely think there's been a big trend away from gun and war-type toys since I was a child. I haven't seen a toy soldier in a long time either. Especially in the areas where we lived, where hunting and gun ownership isn't popular.

A funny thing I noticed: we come from a Russian background and have many Russian immigrant friends here. I noticed their kids, esp boys, tend to be a lot more into the old-school, hardcore gun and war play. They're the ones that tend to have toy guns and run around shooting and bombing each other. Same for some other immigrant groups. Whereas the boys from middle-upper class American backgrounds, like those in his preschool, are a lot milder and calmer and there's no aggression or violence going on. They're much more likely to be cooking in the toy kitchen or bathing baby dolls. My son leans a lot more towards this type of play too. Whenever we do playdates with russian boys, he often ends up not getting the point of the war/combat type games because it's not something that he plays at home or at school.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Guns are NOT toys and should not be treated as such in even a pretend fashion. I think it's weird that people let young kids play with toy guns and allow them to play shoot each other. What is the purpose of this kind of play?
Gun play in young children is actually all about morality. It's about exploring what is right and wrong. It is also about saving people. Young children become the powerful rescuer through this kind of play. They also try out different roles including being the *bad guy.* And, it helps kids combat their fears.

Kids need to develop life skills that revolve around resolving conflicts and while we don't want them to get the idea that resolving conflicts should be done using weapons, playing this out allows the kids to learn how to react to violence and how to resolve conflicts in other ways.

Trust your children. Really. You cannot censor their play. As for using toy guns, swords or other weapons, if a preschooler cannot have the toy prop, they will use legos to build them or use their fingers or bite their sandwiches into the shape of a gun. Preschoolers are very interested in being powerful and that is what guns symbolize in their play.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:43 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Trust your children. Really. You cannot censor their play. As for using toy guns, swords or other weapons, if a preschooler cannot have the toy prop, they will use legos to build them or use their fingers or bite their sandwiches into the shape of a gun. Preschoolers are very interested in being powerful and that is what guns symbolize in their play.
I keep hearing this but honestly I haven't seen most preschoolers doing that. Older boys sure, once they start watching the more violent cartoons, but not the little ones I've seen around here, who mainly watch educational-type shows and are not brought up in households with guns or hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting