Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 05:32 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,903,619 times

Advertisements

I don't know what kind of frames you buy for your adolescent kid but they don't need designer models. Buying kids designer frames is like buying them $100 tennis shoes. Big nerdy plastic ones work until the kid learns they are important and wants to look better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 06:40 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,978,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Get the kind that can bend every shape and back to original shape.
A waste of money. Been there, done that. Check the reviews online for Flexon frames.

I was very grateful that our eye doctor approved contact lenses by the age of 8 for my boys.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:03 PM

858 posts, read 1,809,726 times
Both my kids use glasses, the younger since he was 3. He's the less careful because he takes them off and puts them anywhere and doesn't remember where they left them. Amazingly, they have never broken a pair of glasses. They have gotten them misshaped, bent and lost several times.

My solution is to have a pair of "good" glasses and 2 or so of cheap online glasses on standby. The online ones I paid some $15 for them, so if they get broken or lost, it's not that bad. I also decided to not get more wire frames for the younger one, only plastic ones.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:17 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,332,468 times
I got new glasses last year. When the man who fitted me saw my name he said, "Are you related to X and X?" He named my brother and his daughter, who first got glasses at age 2. He laughed, "I've seen them about once a month for the past ten years!" Actually, it was longer than ten years, but I think when she finally got contacts and learned to take care of them the visits cut down somewhat. Active kids are just hard on glasses. Go to a place where they give you a program designed to address that (Lenscrafters or a local place specializing in kids). Costco has an inexpensive optical department. I got a great price on hearing aids for my mother at Costco and she gets unlimited visits for adjustments included in the price. (And we have to go, on average, four times a year! Imagine paying for that separately.)

Old 06-11-2014, 10:24 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,296,816 times
My Brother got glasses when he was about 7 and I do not ever remember my Mother having to replace them because he threw them or was careless.
She explained to us both the day he got them that they were very important so he could keep his eyesight his entire life.
We were both very careful with his glasses and I cannot even imagine what would have happened to my Brother if he had ever thrown them in a fit of anger.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,852,555 times
Im enjoying reading some of the stories. I have explained to her she needs her glasses, they are important for her eyes. She does understand. Shes just a kid.

LC will fix the lens thankfully.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:08 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,979,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I don't know what kind of frames you buy for your adolescent kid but they don't need designer models. Buying kids designer frames is like buying them $100 tennis shoes. Big nerdy plastic ones work until the kid learns they are important and wants to look better.
Buying your kids big nerdy glasses right off the bat is also opening them up to get tormented in school.

I was 13 when I first got glasses and I wasn't and still aren't good at keeping up with things.
I got cute frames, not designer but cute. Its very easy for a kid to pick out cute frames that aren't too expensive. The frames I have now are only $100 and there were cute options lower than that too.
Everyone in my family eventually has had to get glasses and my kids will too.

Except for my kids they wont have ugly frames and I still won't break the bank.
You'll pay the same price and your kids will hate you for making them the laughing stock of the school.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:06 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,496,623 times
I don't know how long that you have had the glasses, but many place will repair/replace if it is within a certain amount of time after you bought them. Many of the places will do repairs, some free and some at a charge. They also make glasses for young children that are a soft flexible rubber with plastic lenses. Yes, they should replace a lens for free.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:00 AM

19,554 posts, read 9,565,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Love this! I am going to try this with my husband, who is always losing his glasses.

I've reminded mine that it's a good thing his are not prescription glasses. He buys the non-rx 3 for a good price at places like Walmart or Sams Club. Then, has set them down in one of the stores and gets side tracked. Next thing ya know he's in another location and realizes he needs to pull out the glasses and it's like, opps, where did they go? I've bought him those magnetic clips that you can attach to your shirt and hang your glasses onto them. I don't think he liked them too much. Doesn't much care for the rope kinds either apparently.

As for the glasses themselves. I've got rx type. LC, Sam's, Costco and Walmart (since I've got various ones over the years in these stores) have all been good about free adjustments and minor fixes. The real lightweight plastic ones I got recently, imo, seem to get out of shape so often. Reminds me to stop either tonight or over the weekend and get them tightened up.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:50 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,729,742 times
My daughter started wearing glasses before she turned 2 and it seemed like we spent about 50% of every day looking for them.

Always get the insurance and try to be patient. She'll outgrow the destructive phase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting