Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:39 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
I was concerned because other 2 year olds that I know were speaking very well and my son wasn't. He can say phrases such as "come here", "sit down", "I thirsty", "I hungry", etc. "Look at me", etc. But not as many sentences as a couple other 2 year olds I know. I can have a simple conversation, but he says a lot of jargon and we can't understand him when he speaks in jargon. Like he will often say a long phrase and I will often only be cake to point out two or three words within that 3 sentence phrase. He can count to 20, and knows his colors, animals, etc. He knows the alphabet. And can repeat things fine and is great at expressions and is very animated. But he is very hyper and wild and rough. I mean he's a boy lol. Anyway I called intervention in my state to see what they had to say and they were the ones who did the evaluation and recommended the speech therapist and the occupational therapist. He passed the doctors test though when she tested him back in April. The occupational therapist was recommended because they said he was hyper and needed help focusing. And they said his speech could be better as well.

The websites I've read for goddard is that it's play focused with learning centered around play, the Montessori seems play based too but seems to also be more structured and stresses a variety of subjects that can be applied to the real world as they age. I can't find a school with the highscope method which seems to probably be what he would need the most.
Apart from the speaking he doesn't sound behind to me. His speech might quickly improve once he is in a daycare setting, same with his behaviour as he'll learn from copying the other children, but I wouldn't worry too much, sounds pretty normal for a 2.5 year old.
I'm of the belief that 2.5 is too young for anything too academic and free play is the best thing at that age but something that is play-based learning might be really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 12:16 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,140 times
Faith, is he saying any rhymes fully? I mean, I am trying to see if its the problem with forming sentences on his own or if he is struggling with all big sentences. For a 2.5 year old, he seems to be doing just fine if he is saying numbers up to 20, animals, colors etc.

When my DD was young, I used to take her to library where they read books to toddlers. Initially it was a bit of a struggle to get her to actually sit in one place for longer than 2 mins but after she saw that every other kid was sitting, she soon got the hang of it. See if you have any toddler book clubs/ play dates etc.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
To be honest, I picked one close to home. It was fine.

You don't really know if the nanny isn't a good fit or if your some has some kind of delay or disability. You could have him evaluated or you could wait and see what the preschool teachers say about him. I do agree he should be away from the nanny's child and in a more structured environment.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:25 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Just out of curiosity - is the nanny a native speaker of English? Does she have a college degree (from any country)? If the answer is no to both of them, then definitely get him into professional daycare. That could absolutely cause him to be behind. 45 hours is a whole lot of time to spend with someone and her children - I think most children are better off in a good daycare/preschool environment where the learning is planned and structured (even if it's play-based), but the ratio of adults to kids is still good. Your nanny has 1 adult to three kids - our preschool had 1 adult to 4 kids at that age, so I can't see any real benefit to your nanny in these circumstances.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:40 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Just out of curiosity - is the nanny a native speaker of English? Does she have a college degree (from any country)? If the answer is no to both of them, then definitely get him into professional daycare. That could absolutely cause him to be behind. 45 hours is a whole lot of time to spend with someone and her children - I think most children are better off in a good daycare/preschool environment where the learning is planned and structured (even if it's play-based), but the ratio of adults to kids is still good. Your nanny has 1 adult to three kids - our preschool had 1 adult to 4 kids at that age, so I can't see any real benefit to your nanny in these circumstances.
No she doesn't have a degree and had learning problems like dyslexia and ADHD growing up so she struggled to learn.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
To be honest, I picked one close to home. It was fine.

You don't really know if the nanny isn't a good fit or if your some has some kind of delay or disability. You could have him evaluated or you could wait and see what the preschool teachers say about him. I do agree he should be away from the nanny's child and in a more structured environment.
He was evaluated and was said to have a little delay in speech and problems focusing.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
Faith, is he saying any rhymes fully? I mean, I am trying to see if its the problem with forming sentences on his own or if he is struggling with all big sentences. For a 2.5 year old, he seems to be doing just fine if he is saying numbers up to 20, animals, colors etc.

When my DD was young, I used to take her to library where they read books to toddlers. Initially it was a bit of a struggle to get her to actually sit in one place for longer than 2 mins but after she saw that every other kid was sitting, she soon got the hang of it. See if you have any toddler book clubs/ play dates etc.
I've taken him to readings at the library and he is always the kid that won't sit in his seat and keeps trying to escape or throw fits through the story and therefore drawing attention from the story and disrupting it for the other kids. It seems like he has trouble saying long sentences or more than three word phrases.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:05 PM

83 posts, read 127,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
How did those of you who sent your children to daycare determine which school was best for you?
I didn't really learn the school's learning philosophy when I was looking for daycare. I just picked the one close to home that didn't have a waiting list to be honest.

My son is the same age (will turn 3 at the end of September) and he goes to Goddard since infant. He is doing well there. It is play-based but it is planned and structured.

They have to sit during circle time, line up before going outside to play, put away their cups and wash their hands after snack time, etc.. And definitely no jumping off furniture and running wild.

Like previous posters said, he doesn't sound to be behind except for the speech. I think if he is moved to a more structured environment, it will help with his focus issue.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:46 PM

Thank you! So in other words I'm overthinking it. I suppose he's too young to really expect a school that isn't play centered.

So it looks like the consensus is that Montessori school may not be the best for him. There is a school that had gotten excellent ratings that I'm interested. It's a small public daycare school so it isn't corporate like goddard or bright horizons and is very low budget. it got 5.0 ratings across every review I've seen of it on different sites. But information about the curriculum isn't presented on the site. goddard and bright horizons have great reputations as well and I honestly can't tell which one is better or how they differ. I'm going to call each one and schedule some time to visit first by myself, and then later with my son.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:50 PM

Also I will be working less hours starting in August, so he would potentially only need a daycare for about 27 hours per week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting