Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:07 PM

419 posts, read 846,428 times

Advertisements

I originally had a question about letting middle schoolers having own e-mail account. But I realized an answer to my own question after I had posted.....

Last edited by MerriMAC; 07-21-2014 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: Just figured out an answer to my own question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 08:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I don't know why a kid would need an email account so I wouldn't be too curious about it. From a safety standpoint it's something that is password protected and maybe the parents don't want the kids to have that kind of secrecy. Just imagine someone getting a spam email and clicking and infecting the computer too!

Old 07-21-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know why a kid would need an email account so I wouldn't be too curious about it. From a safety standpoint it's something that is password protected and maybe the parents don't want the kids to have that kind of secrecy. Just imagine someone getting a spam email and clicking and infecting the computer too!
I figured out the answer is probably that some/most e-mail providers don't let kids under 16 have an e-mail account without parental verification (credit card verification). And your post has good information too.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
I figured out the answer is probably that some/most e-mail providers don't let kids under 16 have an e-mail account without parental verification (credit card verification).
I've never needed a CC for an email account, or an age for that matter. So I doubt it. I like my reasons better

Old 07-21-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I've never needed a CC for an email account, or an age for that matter. So I doubt it. I like my reasons better
When I sign up for free e-mail, I am asked for my DOB (which I always fib for fun). Any younger than 16 and it asks for parent verification with a valid credit card ($1 charge, or something like that). An actual kid younger than 16 could just lie about his/her age to get their own free e-mail account without parents.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Both my 12 year old daughters have had their own e mail accounts since they could write.This is because they have adult siblings and they like to send them videos, songs, puzzles, funny stories, pictures, etc. Also one daughter keeps the family calendar of events for us and we need to send her new doc appointments, library book due dates, etc. They have never used them for anything else except family. Sometimes we will have fun exchanges by e mail when we are only 1 room away. I think it helps them with writing and it's a fun way to share when they are away in school and they have something fun to come home to.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:00 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
My 10-year-old has an email account. He sends me emails at work and converses with his grandparents. He also gets the email updates from his sports teams, which helps him to be more responsible about what he needs for practices, upcoming events, etc.

It was free.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:17 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,145 times
I tried to set up a gmail account for my 7 year old for her iPod, and I couldn't do it using her real birth date. So there is age restrictions, although I can't remember exactly what age.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:44 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Why they would need one? Many teachers have kids turn in assignments by email or by a school portal - which requires email. Each parent will have different ideas on having access to the email.....but yeah, students need an email account even if they aren't allowed online for anything else.

Any computer should have virus protection that is kept up to date....there are several very good free ones out there so that sort of reasoning is sort of wierd.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:46 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
When I sign up for free e-mail, I am asked for my DOB (which I always fib for fun). Any younger than 16 and it asks for parent verification with a valid credit card ($1 charge, or something like that). An actual kid younger than 16 could just lie about his/her age to get their own free e-mail account without parents.
Gmail does ask for an age....but a credit card? No. I am shocked that people really don't think that teens need something as basic as an email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting