Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 1,789 times

Advertisements

Hi!
Should a father who is addicted to marijuana be allowed to care for his 20-month old? Please let me know
what you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 05:29 PM

683 posts, read 1,884,764 times
What exactly do you mean by addicted to marijuana?

Old 08-08-2014, 05:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
In my state, parents don't lose custody for testing positive for marijuana. It's considered an issue unless a parent is smoking it in front of his/her children.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:13 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
Is he purchasing the drug legally or does he live in a State where he can legally buy it. Can he be caught with possessing an illegal substance? That's the angle I would take if I was wanting to interfere with his custody rights.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:38 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
I don't believe it's possible to be physically addicted to marijuana.

This is going to sound fake but here goes: I did a lot of research on it in college. We had to choose a controversial topic and take the semester to research and present our conclusions. I was a CJ major and was against it bu my research turned my thoughts around.

If it's illegal where you are then that's the end of the story. Illegal activities are an absolute no no when there are children involved.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:48 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveforever66 View Post
Hi!
Should a father who is addicted to marijuana be allowed to care for his 20-month old? Please let me know
what you think?
I think he should and I'm sure you have parents all across this country who are raising kids and smoking weed. Not saying if its right or wrong but just that its nothing new, it does happen.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:57 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Just like anyone who indulges in marijuana or alcohol, it depends. Is it impacting their ability to care for the child? Provide for the family? Is it a habitual, daily thing or something to do while mowing the lawn or watching the game on a Sunday?

In my state, marijuana is decriminalized under 1oz and medical marijuana is underway. I would rather children be raised by people who smoke pot every once in awhile than alcoholics or people who cannot function without pain pills. Certainly, someone who smokes pot from the moment they get home from work until they fall asleep is not going to be able to properly care for their child. But in moderation? No worse than a few beers.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:16 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveforever66 View Post
Hi!
what you think?
I don't think so. But here's why:

Even in 2013, Parents Who Use Marijuana Risk Losing Their Kids - Reason.com

Phoenix mom who left baby atop car gets 3 months of jail
(this one is a video, if you close the pop-up the story can't be read)

Mom: Caregiver charged in son's death after he was run over - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego

Old 08-11-2014, 01:04 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
If its illegal in the state, then smoking around the kid is a no-no.
If it interferes with the daily, reasonable child care activity, it's a no-no.
If the child has health/breathing issues caused by or aggravated by being around burning weed, it's a no-no.

Marijuana addiction is a complicated subject. Most scientists do think that addiction, in the sense of heroin or alcohol addiction, with a need for more and more of the drug as time goes on and heavy symptoms when its withdrawn, doesn't happen with weed. But heavy use and regular dependence does develop, especially among younger people (say, under 25), although it can happen at any age. And yes, people can certainly smoke occasionally for recreational use, with no long-term ill effects.

Nevertheless, IMO no one under the influence should ever be taking care of young kids. It's just too risky. Something could happen and the slowed reflexes and blurred thinking could easily prevent the caretaker from doing what's needed to ensure the child's safety. After all, we don't let schoolteachers come to work high, or licensed day-care workers. And everyplace I've ever seen camp counselors who get high on the job are fired. There's a reason for that.

If this person wants to get high, let him do it on his own time, when he's not looking after a toddler. If he can't manage to NOT get high when he is looking after the kid, I'd say he's got a substance abuse problem that needs to be addressed.

Last edited by citylove101; 08-11-2014 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 02:10 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
It depends on your definition of addiction (some define it VERY loosely) and how reliable, dependable and level of functioning while on it.

If the father is very different while on it- eg, forgetting, irrational, confused, etc then no. If he has been smoking everyday for the past decade, goes to work, cooks, cleans, and functions well then maybe he is responsible at his baseline.

A lot of parents take care of their kids while on psychiatric medication. No "one size fits all" answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting