Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:43 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

Yesterday we took our two 12 year old daughters shopping for back to school clothes. It was not a happy experience.

First of all we were looking for long sleeve shirts or light weight hoodie type jackets. I couldn't believe how difficult it was to find anything other than summer clothes. I don't like to go in a panic to find cool weather clothes so thought there would be more choice...even here in N.C. The girls will be riding their bikes to school at around 7:30 and it won't be long before we have those cool mornings following by hot afternoons.

We went to Justice, Belk, JC Penney, Macy's , Sears, Forever 2l and a few others---no real cool weather clothes and school starts next week. I thought we were being so smart setting out so early but apparently we were too early.

2nd---I dare you to find any jeans or tops without sparkly crap all over them. My girls don't like sparkly crap or cartoon characters or big words and symbols. They just like attractive clothes without all the embellishments. Next to impossible to find.

3rd- lack of conformity in sizes. In one brand a 12 was too tight and in another brand a 10 was too big.

I usually try to buy everything on sale but after 4 hours I was "I don't care how much it costs...just find something to wear."

I've learned the hard way if they don't like it...no matter how much I do..they won't wear it so I only offer guidance as far as fit, shrinkage based on fiber content and putting outfits together. One daughter was "I like this. Let's buy it" without wanting to try clothes on while the other one was "I don't know if I like it or not".

We finally walked away with two pairs of jeans each, one hoodie jacket with SHINE and sparkle stuff all over it cause she got tired of trying to find a plain jacket, two cheap long sleeve tops without embellishments and one shirt which can be used as a light weight jacket till we find the real thing.
I've been back to school shopping with 5 daughters/ step daughters and I don't remember it being this difficult. How are you doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 06:48 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I thought you had success with Land's End last year NK? Not so much this time?

Old 08-15-2014, 06:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I'm sure you could have found a non-embellished long sleeved shirts and jackets at Old Navy and Gap.

Yep, I just checked their websites.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:58 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
My daughter is 4 so body shape doesn't come into play - often I buy her jeans in the boys dept.

I'm dreading buying clothing for her when she gets older - now I shop at Gymboree and Jack and Janie almost exclusively.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I thought you had success with Land's End last year NK? Not so much this time?
Ah You remember well. I love shopping at LE but now they are more into wanting to touch everything. I think they are seeing that LE was not so bad after all. When they saw what else was out there they are leaning more towards LE shopping again. At least I know I can find plain, non embellished yoga pants and knit jackets. Today I think we will all get on the computer and pick out a few things together.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:15 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Old Navy.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:17 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Definitely try Old Navy and Gap. We have luck at Marshalls and TJMaxx. Costco has plain hoodies. Aeropostale and American Eagle also have non-embellished stuff.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:17 AM

421 posts, read 556,527 times
Yeah old navy has more basics. Lands end is good and they tend to be true to size.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:42 AM

We went to Gap and pretty much struck out there. These stores seem to cater to younger kids or women's. They really didn't have anything in 12-13. but i forgot about Old Navy. i hope they still have the kinds of plain clothes I used to find there for my grown daughter. I'll find one.

how weird that I got three daughters who have no interest in jewelry, sparkly things and "fashion" when I have enough jewelry to open my own jewelry store and scarves and other fun accessories. My "style" has never been flashy though so maybe these girls will eventually like something a bit less plain. but I respect their choices and now in middle school they must feel entirely comfortable in their clothes.

We walked right by Aeropostale and American Eagle cause we were all getting tired and hungry. Maybe that will be another trip. Oh joy unbounded.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:45 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
I'm one of the few who doesn't do the whole back to school shopping thing. I buy clothes as needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting