Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times

Advertisements

Settle down.

Slovenly was used as an obvious negative to describe one side of the same coin.

I dont know what makes a weight challenged kid go from victim to victimizer or decide to be a bully vs bullied but hopefully the article/study cited above will be a start to sorting that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 10:05 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Interesting study. I imagine it's a rather vicious cycle - they're bullied because of their weight, and then in turn, they take it out on others.

Either way, I always feel really bad for overweight kids.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
The study determined that children develop this behavior before they even start school. That means being the victim of bullying at school isn't the cause. It also says that overweight children are more likely to be victims and bullies than thinner peers. That means the thinner peers are less likely to be bullies or victims.

The article has one sentence speculating that bullies decide to be bullies after being victims. That's illogical since the study determined these behaviors existed prior to starting school. If it is true, who was bullying them before they became school aged? Their families?

Past research indicated that people who are overweight have difficulty with their emotions and have abnormal eating behaviors. This study identifying these issues at a significantly younger age indicates that the root of these emotional and eating problems occur before they are school aged. IMO, it's pointing to families---environment and/or mental health genetics.

I think the conclusion hit the mark: the key is building self esteem and apparently that needs to start at a very young age.

But I wish the article elaborated more on this part of the study it mentions:

Quote:
Lead researcher Pauline Jansen and her colleagues at Erasmus University Rotterdam took into account other factors that might increase the risk of bullying or being bullied. Those factors included age, sex, national origin and mother's level of education, as well as whether the child had siblings or lived with a single parent.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:19 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I would think the overweight kids would more than likely be the victim instead of instigators of bullying.
They are. From the article, "Dutch researchers report that obese boys are more likely to bully and be bullied than their thinner peers"

Old 08-27-2014, 08:04 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Thinking back I had as many skinny bullies as heavy ones. As for me, I was a skinny-Minnie.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:33 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
That makes sense to me. Fat kids have more weight to throw around.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:21 PM

105 posts, read 110,987 times
Ugh. I've seen fat bullies, skinny bullies, tall bullies, short bullies, dirty bullies, clean bullies....

There is no physical description for an abusive person.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:44 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Bullies feel like crap about themselves and it makes them feel better by making others feel bad. That about sums it up.

Kids have to decide not to be bullied also. Give them plenty of reasons to be happy about themselves.

When kids refuse to be bullied, the bullies move on.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:52 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Bullies feel like crap about themselves and it makes them feel better by making others feel bad. That about sums it up.

Kids have to decide not to be bullied also. Give them plenty of reasons to be happy about themselves.

When kids refuse to be bullied, the bullies move on.
Psychologists used to believe bullies had low self-esteem, but new studies show that is not the case. Bullies are motivated by power.

Do Bully's Have Low Self-Esteem? - The Bully Proof Classroom

Quote:
Bullies usually have a sense of entitlement and superiority over others, and lack compassion, impulse control and social skills. They enjoy being cruel to others and sometimes use bullying as an anger management tool, the way a normally angry person would punch a pillow. Research does support the fact that bullies have low empathy, and they really don’t know how it feels to be in someone else’s shoes.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Psychologists used to believe bullies had low self-esteem, but new studies show that is not the case. Bullies are motivated by power.

From the article you linked, the following matches exactly what Jersey posted: bullies have low self esteem and they use bullying to improve their self esteem.

Quote:
As long as the bully is able to manipulate another person or a situation, his/her self-esteem remains high. Once a bully loses control of their victim, or realizes that they can’t manipulate situations to their liking they begin to experience problems with their self esteem and they will then seek out other people to manipulate and control to raise their self-esteem. It almost becomes an emotional fix that they need in order to feel good about themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719
As a result, bullies need to learn healthier ways to improve their self esteem.

Quote:
In working with the bully we need to help the bully find things that will help him keep a consistent self-esteem index.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting