Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 11:17 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'm amazed by how many people are answering 9-plus hours. What's with all the people I see who have their toddlers and elementary school-aged kids in restaurants at 9 p.m.? I see them every time I eat at places like Chipotle, Pei Wei, etc. I can't even stand to go in mid- to low-priced restaurants prior to 8 p.m. because they are packed with kids being fed their dinner.

I fully understand that single-parent households and ones where both parents work often eat out a lot. But who are these hundreds of people who feed their children so late they couldn't possibly get to bed until after 10 p.m. and they still go to school the next day? Aside from the kids being sleep-deprived, no doubt the parents are, too.
My kids' school start time is 9:15, so while a 9 p.m. dinner would be late, if we happened to be out for some reason (maybe an after school activity) it could happen. I probably wouldn't choose a sit-down restaurant though, but rather something that was fast, so we could get in and out quickly.

Or, the kids may be home schooled, or they may have a year-round school that was on track-out, or they may be on vacation. Any number of reasons, really. And my 3-year old doesn't need to be up at any particular time, and often takes a late afternoon nap, so his being up at 9 or 10 at night is not unusual.

I wouldn't assume bad parenting or that the kids are sleep-deprived, just based on a one-time encounter with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 11:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I wouldn't assume bad parenting or that the kids are sleep-deprived, just based on a one-time encounter with them.
Sometimes you can base an opinion on a one time encounter. When my washer or dryer breaks down, I'm always appalled at the number of parents who have children at the Laundromat after midnight. If you've ever been to Walmart in the middle of the night on a school night, you can't help but wonder how those children function in school the next day.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:03 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sometimes you can base an opinion on a one time encounter. When my washer or dryer breaks down, I'm always appalled at the number of parents who have children at the Laundromat after midnight. If you've ever been to Walmart in the middle of the night on a school night, you can't help but wonder how those children function in school the next day.
But who says those kids even have to be at school the next day? The days of all kids having the same school schedule are long gone.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
But who says those kids even have to be at school the next day? The days of all kids having the same school schedule are long gone.
I can easily identify low-life crack/meth/heroin addict parents when I see them.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:31 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can easily identify low-life crack/meth/heroin addict parents when I see them.
Wow.....super human powers to judge people by sight. You may get it right sometimes. ...but i don't doubt you've been wrong more than correct overall.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Wow.....super human powers to judge people by sight. You may get it right sometimes. ...but i don't doubt you've been wrong more than correct overall.
Nope. The other way around. I'm more accurate with who is an addict than who isn't an addict because people early in their addictions don't have as many signs.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:54 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I've been looking after this little girl for the past few days.

She seems to wake about an hour or two early and tosses and turns. I'm wondering if she is getting too much sleep so thought I'd ask others how much sleep you give your kids about this age.
Very nice for you to take care of her the past few days.

Please don't be concerned. It's simply that she is not in her own bed and in our own house. She may LOVE being with you (and I bet she does, if you're this concerned about her ) -- but that doesn't matter. It's not her home. That's all.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:36 PM

436 posts, read 421,175 times
My son (7.5) both goes to bed around 6 pm, and then sometimes conks right out or else will read for an hour or two. Then he gets up around 5:45 or 6 AM. We never have dinner later than about 4 or 5 PM for that reason, except when we're on vacation and our schedules are thrown off anyway. Even then, the latest I would go to a restaurant would be maybe 7, 7:30.

My 6.5 year old has a very similar schedule. She sometimes takes a little longer to wind down, so she'll play in her room quietly... sometimes up until 8 or so. She's also up early.

Do my kids need a lot more sleep than others their age? I don't know. They both have ADHD so they are going a zillion miles an hour when they're up during the day. Maybe they use up more energy than other kids, so need to recuperate more?

By the way, we homeschool. When we tried our son out at public school, he was up hours before it was ready to leave, and by the end of the day he was so tired he'd be falling asleep in his dinner plate at 4, leaving zero time for any other activities, sports, homework... etc.) It bugs me when kids' activities like scouts, sports, etc. START at 6 pm or later.

We are severely limited in what they can participate in, unless it's on a Saturday morning. =/

Old 09-20-2014, 11:49 PM

17 posts, read 16,872 times
I think every child is different. Some need more, some less.

At 7 1/2, our son would usually sleep 9 1/2 hours, be totally fine, and then just crash for 12 hours out of the blue. He had a consistent bedtime routine, but there were periods where he just wouldn't fall to sleep quickly.

I found this article helpful How Much Sleep Do Kids Need? which recommends 10-11 hours for school age kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting