Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:23 AM

49 posts, read 99,832 times

Advertisements

There may be a thread like this already, if so, sorry!

I'm just wondering what the mindset that parents who get their children cell phones at age 6, iPads at age 4, etc. is, because I can't understand it. I'm 21, and I got my first cell phone at 15, first iPod at 16, and I didn't get a laptop until I graduated high school. Now, both my 10 and 6 year old brothers have laptops, and my 10 year old brother also has an iPod touch. Nothing against my dad though, both laptops were given by my grandpa. My other 10 year old brother (from different parents) has had at least 3 cell phones, all of which he's lost. But I can't understand getting a 5 year old child an iPad, something that costs a large amount of money and is easily broken!

My daughter is definitely spoiled, and when she's old enough to go to friends' houses and such, we will probably get her a Firefly phone or a Trak phone. She'll probably get an iPod while in elementary school because we're a music-loving family, but definitely not a brand new one, and she won't get her own computer until much later.

Are any of you parents who have bought/will buy this kind of stuff for your kids? Why do you do it? I don't mean to be rude with my questions, just wondering why you would spend so much when there are aisles upon aisles in Toys R Us of cheaper, age-appropriate toys. Also toys that require more imagination and activity.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:41 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emo_wifey View Post

I'm just wondering what the mindset that parents who get their children cell phones at age 6, iPads at age 4, etc. is, because I can't understand it. I'm 21, and I got my first cell phone at 15, first iPod at 16, and I didn't get a laptop until I graduated high school. Now, both my 10 and 6 year old brothers have laptops, and my 10 year old brother also has an iPod touch. Nothing against my dad though, both laptops were given by my grandpa. My other 10 year old brother (from different parents) has had at least 3 cell phones, all of which he's lost. But I can't understand getting a 5 year old child an iPad, something that costs a large amount of money and is easily broken!

My daughter is definitely spoiled, and when she's old enough to go to friends' houses and such, we will probably get her a Firefly phone or a Trak phone. She'll probably get an iPod while in elementary school because we're a music-loving family, but definitely not a brand new one, and she won't get her own computer until much later.

Are any of you parents who have bought/will buy this kind of stuff for your kids? Why do you do it? I don't mean to be rude with my questions, just wondering why you would spend so much when there are aisles upon aisles in Toys R Us of cheaper, age-appropriate toys. Also toys that require more imagination and activity.
We didn't buy the iPad specifically for our 4 year old, my husband has it mainly as he works on the road all day - but she certainly uses it.

And it's a bit of a misstatement to say that other toys require more imagination and activity, if you've never seen a preschooler use an iPad.

There are fantastic educational apps out there that has them writing letters, counting, doing basic math, all kinds of stuff. I love it.

It's not the only toy she uses, she paints, builds stuff, has a tent made out of chairs and sheets as we speak - but it's a great addition.

The other day she was up in our bedroom videoing herself singing a song. Hysterical.

If I had oodles of money I'd buy her one of her own. There's not a thing wrong with it.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:57 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
To quote a certain NFL coach "The future is now".

If I could afford it I'd absolutely let my children use iPhones, iPads and whatever is next in the pipeline. The children who know how to use them are going to have a leg up on their peers who don't. I was talking with a friend the other day who told me her granddaughter potty trained with the help of the iPhone app. She couldn't be more pleased, BTW.

I don't think I'd let a young child take them outside of the house for fear of them being lost. And I'd teach them that they are electronic equipment and subject to breakage. But, yes. I'd be happy they learned how to use them early.

And you manage their time on them. There's time for iPad, time for coloring, time for reading (books or electronic readers), time for outside play, etc.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
I also in agreement that there is nothing wrong with giving children access to technology. I don't know why there is a perception that all these new "gadgets" will ruin your children. As a parent, you still have the ultimate control over the use.

What one family might think is an indulgence another does not.

Our son had a hand me down computer at a relatively young age. And last year we did get him his own for his birthday. Frankly, as much as they need a computer for homework, etc. especially once they hit middle school, I'm glad he had one.

As far as phones - I think that horse has already been beaten to death in other threads.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:26 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
I've considered getting an iPad for my 2yo. I would use it too of course, but if I got it it would be specifically for the apps for her. iPads have tons of apps for kids with special needs and tons of families have a lot of success with using them for this purpose.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:

I'm just wondering what the mindset that parents who get their children cell phones at age 6, iPads at age 4, etc. is, because I can't understand it.
I can honestly say that I do not know anyone who bought their child an iPad at age 4. I know a handful of folks who got their child a cell phone at age 6.

Do you honestly know people like this? Do you know many people like this or is it just one or two? I have NEVER met anyone who bought their 4 year old their own iPad. I do know people who let their 4 year old play with their iPad though.

Quote:
I'm 21, and I got my first cell phone at 15, first iPod at 16, and I didn't get a laptop until I graduated high school. Now, both my 10 and 6 year old brothers have laptops, and my 10 year old brother also has an iPod touch.
It doesn't really matter when you got your first cell phone or laptop. It's irrelevant. I didn't get a cell phone until I was 30. Why should anyone else care how old I was (or you were ) when we got our first cell phone? Today cell phones are inexpensive. I was able to add my son to our existing plan for $9.99 per month. When I got my first phone it cost $49.99 per month PLUS 99 cents per minute. Nobody would buy a child a phone at that price point. But when it only costs $10 per month lots of people are willing to spend the money.

Quote:
Nothing against my dad though, both laptops were given by my grandpa. My other 10 year old brother (from different parents) has had at least 3 cell phones, all of which he's lost. But I can't understand getting a 5 year old child an iPad, something that costs a large amount of money and is easily broken!
You have a brother from different parents?

It sounds like you are jealous. I like laptops for kids. My kids all have laptops (they are 12, 15, 17).

Each child has his own laptop for his schoolwork. No fighting. They can watch dvds, listen to music, surf the internet, do homework, etc......I can supervise no matter where I am in the house (even by the pool!).

Quote:

To me computers are much more useful than phones or ipods. I don't see why it's such a big deal for kids to have technology. I understand people not wanting young kids to play with ONLY technology, but I think that you are making a huge fuss over something that really doesn't matter.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:53 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
We bought our daughter her first cell phone for her Kindergarden graduation. The reason being, we were going to be moving and we wanted her to have a way to get in touch with us if she happened to get off the bus at the wrong bus stop. We move around a lot, so it gave me piece of mind knowing she had a way to contact us if need be.

She got an iPod 2 years ago for Christmas. She is 9 years old and now wants a laptop, but I told her it was not needed and if she really wanted one she could start saving her chore money, bday and Christmas money and buy herself one.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:33 PM

49 posts, read 99,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You have a brother from different parents?

It sounds like you are jealous. I like laptops for kids. My kids all have laptops (they are 12, 15, 17).
I stated one 10 year old brother has an iPod touch and a laptop, and another 10 year old brother has had 3 phones. One is mom's kid, one is dad's.

I'm not jealous, just wondering. And I'm not making a big fuss, I'm sorry if it came off that way because I have a different opinion. I was just asking a question.

We have two computers and I see no need in getting my daughter her own computer until high school. I used a family computer until that point and I did just fine. I can understand what apps the iPad has for children, I still don't think that I'd buy one just for DD, even if I could afford it. I know how important technology is and my daughter will know how to use it, I just personally don't see the need to buy her things that we have and she can still use.

I guess the main thing is moderation is key? Because I do really know people like this and it seems like most of the kids are always absorbed in their devices and, like in my brother's case with 3 lost phones, the parents are quick to buy new things for them and not teach them the value of it.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:50 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
We have two computers and I see no need in getting my daughter her own computer until high school. I used a family computer until that point and I did just fine.
And I used NO computer (because I am much older than you) and I did just fine as well. What you did is irrelevant to decision making today.

You should keep an open mind. As your kids get older sometimes you change your mind. Laptops are portable. I like portable with three kids that are always on the move.

Quote:
I can understand what apps the iPad has for children, I still don't think that I'd buy one just for DD, even if I could afford it. I know how important technology is and my daughter will know how to use it, I just personally don't see the need to buy her things that we have and she can still use.
My kids don't have iPads. They have their own computers. IMO there is nothing that the iPad does that they cannot do on their own laptops. I don't have an iPad either. I have a laptop and I can't figure out what I could do with an iPad that I cannot do on my laptop.

I think I would let my kids have iPads if they wanted them, but they would have to pay for them on their own. They haven't asked for them and we haven't offered to buy them.

Quote:
I guess the main thing is moderation is key? Because I do really know people like this and it seems like most of the kids are always absorbed in their devices and, like in my brother's case with 3 lost phones, the parents are quick to buy new things for them and not teach them the value of it.
This is a completely different issue. Kids need a variety of activities, especially when they are young. If kids are involved in sports, music, art and have lots of friends it is unlikely that technology will be a problem

Old 08-26-2011, 01:01 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
We have two computers and I see no need in getting my daughter her own computer until high school. I used a family computer until that point and I did just fine. I can understand what apps the iPad has for children, I still don't think that I'd buy one just for DD, even if I could afford it. I know how important technology is and my daughter will know how to use it, I just personally don't see the need to buy her things that we have and she can still use.
We have 2 computers as well, but given the amount of work my DS does on his computer for homework, I frankly don't want to have to give mine up.

Even in the last three years (I'm guessing that's about how long it's been since you graduated), the amount of work a computer is needed for by our son has probably doubled. Resources that used to be available at school libraries are going by the way side. Teachers are ditching paper and expecting kids to log onto their websites to get homework. At Back to School Night the other night, 2 teachers have weekly assignments that make in necessary for our son to comment on blogs, do current events, etc. - online.

He also had a long list of books needed for his Lit class - any that we can get free online and he can read via his kindle on his computer - I'm all for. If he had to borrow my computer to get everything done he needs to get done - I'd never have my computer.

I would imagine in coming years this will become more and more the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You should keep an open mind. As your kids get older sometimes you change your mind. Laptops are portable. I like portable with three kids that are always on the move.
This is very true. I think things will be changing quickly in the coming years.

My son takes his computer to school on the days he has study hall even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting