Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I already bought the plunger and the hand cream Fortunately our plumbing isn't old and we don't have trees, so she's unlikely to cause any massive clogs. I'm thinking of buying cheaper toilet paper for her bathroom.

My husband is not wild about the idea of taking her to a therapist...he used to work at a kids' mental hospital and he doesn't want to think that our daughter could be one of "those kids." So I have to work on changing his thinking on this. Taking my daughter to the pediatrician and having the pediatrician recommend a therapist is probably the best way for him to see that it needs to be done.
Well, if it's any consolation, my son grew out of it in less than a year, and went on to graduate college with honors. He has no anxieties at all, in fact, he's our world traveler. I honestly think it's a phase, and not an uncommon one. It won't hurt to discuss it with your pediatrician, I just don't think it's a big deal, based on our experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 05:59 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Well, if it's any consolation, my son grew out of it in less than a year, and went on to graduate college with honors. He has no anxieties at all, in fact, he's our world traveler. I honestly think it's a phase, and not an uncommon one. It won't hurt to discuss it with your pediatrician, I just don't think it's a big deal, based on our experience.
I'm not sure it qualifies as a "phase" if it has lasted through several holiday periods (i.e. several years). The OP as obviously given it some time and it not only is persistent it is growing worse. If she's actually changing TP to prevent clogs and the child's hands are getting irritated - and she's taking too many showers then that is getting pretty disruptive to the child's life as well as to the rest of the family. The observation period is over and now is the time to get a professional opinion. I wouldn't bother trying to convince the father - take her to see someone NOW - it's not about him, it's about the daughter.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:23 PM

17 posts, read 23,782 times
Obviously OCD.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
It's definitely OCD. Early intervention with appropriate treatment is important because it can get worse as time goes on without treatment. It tends to increase with stress. Other anxiety disorders can develop over time. OCD isn't something to take lightly, especially since she has had symptoms for so many years.

Last edited by Hopes; 10-23-2014 at 08:12 PM..

Old 10-23-2014, 07:45 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
It is definitely worth mentioning it to a doctor since it is obviously causing problems. However, some kids do go through phases like this. One of my childhood friends had a long period of time where she washed her hands obsessively. They were chapped and bleeding constantly. I don't know what the exact solution was, but she outgrew it and does not have OCD as an adult.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:59 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
It is definitely worth mentioning it to a doctor since it is obviously causing problems. However, some kids do go through phases like this. One of my childhood friends had a long period of time where she washed her hands obsessively. They were chapped and bleeding constantly. I don't know what the exact solution was, but she outgrew it and does not have OCD as an adult.
Agreed. A lot of pseudo doctors on here, best bet is to take her to her pediatrician and get an opinion. As I said before, I've been through it with one child. He did not, and does not have OCD.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:25 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,235 times
I went through this last year with my oldest daughter, same age as OP's child. She definitely was obsessive about it; she'd take 5-10 minutes to wash her hands, then a few minutes after she was done washing, she'd be back in there, because she thought she might have missed a certain spot. Her hands became dry and cracked. She told me that she couldn't stop thinking about it, couldn't sleep at night. It got worse while we were on vacation, even though she was enjoying herself. She has always wanted structure and routine in her life, so I figured that the disruption caused her anxiety.

Anyway. It built gradually, was pretty bad for a few months, and then started to fade away. I never did seek professional help for her, although I came close. If it had lasted much longer, I would have. I did read a lot about it online, got some coping ideas. But in the end, I think it was just time that made the difference.

She does still wash her hands very thoroughly and more frequently than an average kid, but not so much that it's worrisome. They are not dry and cracked anymore; she doesn't get out of bed to wash and rewash her hands. She hasn't mentioned the intrusive thoughts. I think she's pretty much over it, for now anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting