Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 07:30 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times

Advertisements

I don't want someone tracking MY every move, I am going to respect my child's right to that as well. At some point you have to cut the cord and just pray you raised them right and that they make good choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 07:55 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
We use the "Find My Phone" feature all the time on the family phones. I have never thought of it as tracking or stalking at all. There are a multitude of reasons why we use this feature instead of calling or texting the person, none of which have to do with lack of trust, but usually to do with knowing the party cannot likely use their phone at that moment.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
I dunno . . . I never felt the need to know where my husband and my kids were every second of every day. My husband and I use Waze to let each other know when we'll be home (we both work odd hours), but that's about it. Honestly, my peace of mind does not depend on knowing exactly and precisely where my family is at any given second. They earned trust by showing increasing responsibility. In our state, the curfew for under 18s was midnight (they couldn't drive after midnight unless they were driving from work to home) So that made it simple -- home by midnight. School nights were home by 9. After they were 18 and off to college, I only required a phone call or text before midnight to let me know what their plans were for the rest of the evening. Even now, as young adults, I ask for a text or phone call -- not as a control, but as a courtesy: If they aren't in their beds when I get up at 7 am, I just want to know if I need to call the police. :-)

I sorta laugh when I hear about the tracking stuff people come up with -- I always remember my daughter's roommate one summer in college. Her parents demanded that she be in her dorm room (from 100 miles away - they were idiots) by midnight, and tracked her GPS. Wait -- no, they tracked the PHONE'S GPS -- the phone was always in the dorm room before midnight -- sometimes all night after 9 or 10. SHE, on the other hand, was out having a wonderful time, with cheap little phone tucked in her pocket for emergencies.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:27 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I dunno . . . I never felt the need to know where my husband and my kids were every second of every day. My husband and I use Waze to let each other know when we'll be home (we both work odd hours), but that's about it. Honestly, my peace of mind does not depend on knowing exactly and precisely where my family is at any given second. They earned trust by showing increasing responsibility. In our state, the curfew for under 18s was midnight (they couldn't drive after midnight unless they were driving from work to home) So that made it simple -- home by midnight. School nights were home by 9. After they were 18 and off to college, I only required a phone call or text before midnight to let me know what their plans were for the rest of the evening. Even now, as young adults, I ask for a text or phone call -- not as a control, but as a courtesy: If they aren't in their beds when I get up at 7 am, I just want to know if I need to call the police. :-)

I sorta laugh when I hear about the tracking stuff people come up with -- I always remember my daughter's roommate one summer in college. Her parents demanded that she be in her dorm room (from 100 miles away - they were idiots) by midnight, and tracked her GPS. Wait -- no, they tracked the PHONE'S GPS -- the phone was always in the dorm room before midnight -- sometimes all night after 9 or 10. SHE, on the other hand, was out having a wonderful time, with cheap little phone tucked in her pocket for emergencies.
Exactly!

Old 12-18-2014, 06:31 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:

Clearly this is excessive. I doubt many people would go to this extreme. I know I wouldn't

Old 12-18-2014, 11:20 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:

We keep hearing this over and over again. That is not how the vast majority of people use these apps, including teens who use these apps themselves, and parents.

It is just another alternative to the hey, where are you?" text. Are you really claiming you never texted/called your teens to find out where they are? We are a busy family but we still check in. If they went out before I got home, I would call/text them to ask where they were and what their plans were.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:26 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:

How is the bolded less intrusive than the app? I never heard of a parent requiring their college students to check in regarding their evening plans each night (although I don't doubt some do). If a kid is mature enough to go away to college, then parents need to accept that the oversight period has ended.

I completely understand that the worrying doesn't end just because our children reach 18. In fact, when they reached 21 I worried even more. Asking an adult child who lives at home to let you know if he/she is coming home at night is reasonable. Asking them to provide an itinerary each night at college is not. I don't think a tracking device at that age is either, unless both parties agree to it. And, I'm sure the parents of several college students who end up missing each year wish they had it.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
How is the bolded less intrusive than the app? I never heard of a parent requiring their college students to check in regarding their evening plans each night (although I don't doubt some do). If a kid is mature enough to go away to college, then parents need to accept that the oversight period has ended.

I completely understand that the worrying doesn't end just because our children reach 18. In fact, when they reached 21 I worried even more. Asking an adult child who lives at home to let you know if he/she is coming home at night is reasonable. Asking them to provide an itinerary each night at college is not. I don't think a tracking device at that age is either, unless both parties agree to it. And, I'm sure the parents of several college students who end up missing each year wish they had it.
This. I didn't even know it was an option to make your child check in with you once they were off to college.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:00 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
I would go weeks without talking to my parents once I went off to Uni. I can't imagine them ever expecting me to check in with them!

Old 12-18-2014, 02:00 PM

Here is a good public service announcement why we should *also* avoid texting people if we think they might be driving

It Broke Her Heart Seeing Her Daughter's Facebook Page, Asking For Someone To Please Be Her Friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting