Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 03:22 PM

14,422 posts, read 14,344,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
well, it was slight bit of news back when the statement was made (April 2014). Though his prediction hasn't quite come through, and with the launch of Gardasil 9 (now 90% of all HPV are stopped - June 2014).

This isn't the flu shot or measles or whatever. . where the person skipping it (and whom they have sex with) at the biggest risk of getting HPV (which would suck) and then Cancer (which sucks more).

HPV and Cancer - National Cancer Institute

though if everyone was vaccinated you could reduce cervical cancers by 70%. . . But only a small percentage of people who get the warts get the cancer. So the risk, per person, is pretty small. Yet almost all of these types of cancers are caused by this one infection.

Since Vaccinations are so low risk/easy. . .I can see the push to have them. When the time comes, and if recommended for boys, I would consider.. . at $500 though, the ROI might not be there.

When this goes generic though, its going to be 17 bucks and then its WHY NOT?!
My daughter and my son have both gotten the HPV vaccine. Definitely worth it for us.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:24 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,581,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
No tips needed, sweetie, but thanks for playing. And you're welcome for the references I provided that you asked for. If all you can manage is snark in lieu of an intelligent response or exchange of ideas, or even civility towards someone whose ideas you may not agree with, then no thanks. I've wasted enough time assuming I was among folks with some intelligence and maybe maturity.

Have a nice life.
Did you actually read the links you posted?

Old 01-26-2015, 03:27 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,628,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
you may not like the term but the entity certainly exists.

BTW I've had several doctors (including one just last week) tell me that many cancers- not all- could have been cured by now but the pharmaceutical companies are making so much money off chemo drugs they aren't about to shoot themselves in the foot.
By any chance are the homeopathic or osteopathic doctors?

Old 01-26-2015, 03:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I would never base my medical decisions, especially for my children on cost.
Many of my patients have used cost as a reason to avoid vaccines, even though free/low cost immunizations are available. Under the ACA, if you have insurance, it has to cover vaccines w/no co-pay.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:41 PM

14,970 posts, read 12,188,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I understand how preventing HPV can help prevent cancer. Where'd you get that I don't understand that.

I said it was not a cancer vaccine. It's not.

Pap smears can also help prevent cancer and they're not risky.

I'm done discussing this. I stated my opinion to the OP, and got accused by someone of being a damned anti-vaxxer.

/smh
Seems to me that they're among those who substitute name-calling or snark due to an inability to carry on an intelligent debate or even a civil exchange of ideas. It's a shame.

My daughter was older when Guardasil came out, so it wasn't an issue for us. But even so, I'm not so sure I'd have insisted she get the vaccine even if she had been of the age.

And even now I can't say yeay or nay as to whether or not adolescents should get it, I just don't think it should be made mandatory, but left up to the discretion of those who make the decisions for their children.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:08 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,625,594 times
I'm not a parent but I saw this thread and it intrigued me.

I am 23 and got Gardasil when I was around 16/17. I haven't suffered any ill side effects, but I never have from vaccines. My mom is a nurse practitioner and gave it to me. I do regular pap smears, and one time I had 'undetected' cells, so I had to come back in and do another. Nothing was wrong.

I guess I don't understand why people wouldn't get the Gardasil vaccine if they think that it does nothing. If that's the case, why not get it anyway, and keep up with the pap smears?* Again, I have never had issues with the vaccine, though I guess 7 years isn't exactly "long term."

Some people stated cervical cancer is easily treated, and that's not really true if it hasn't been caught early. Others said pap smears are not useful. I completely disagree. They specifically check for precancerous cells during pap smears. Often, cervical cancer is not noticed until it is usually too late to do much about it. (Signs and symptoms of cervical cancer)

I believe in doing what you can do prevent these conditions, and I suppose my mom thought Gardasil was part of it. Honestly, keeping up with pap smears is probably more important, because those are the things that will detect cancer if it's there. Of course nothing is foolproof, but a sexually-active woman (and man?) with Gardasil choosing to never get a pap smear after the shot would be totally idiotic decision to me.

*I asterisk'd this because when I got Gardasil it was really expensive. I have no idea about now, but I understand why parents don't get Gardasil for their kids if it's still like $270 for the shots.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:22 PM

^^I would like to clarify any mistaken ideas that anyone has gotten that I think pap smears are unnecessary. The recommendations for paps have not changed since Gardasil started being used, and I support the recommendations. We did have a discussion here about whether paps would continue to be used in the future; it seems some doctors are now doing HPV testing instead. We also had a discussion about whether paps are preventive, and they are not! But yes, they will pick up abnormalities and everyone should follow the recommendations for paps, and see their doctor annually.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:23 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,393,624 times
Our healthcare insurance covers the vaccine in its entirety. Apparently that's not the case for other plans?

Old 01-26-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Our healthcare insurance covers the vaccine in its entirety. Apparently that's not the case for other plans?
As I said above, with the ACA, all insurance (with a few rare outliers) has to cover immunizations with no co-pay. Prior to that, most insurances covered them anyway, sometimes with a co-pay. For the uninsured/underinsured, public health clinics are available that give immunizaitons for low cost. For example, in my county in Colorado, all childhood immunizations, including Gardasil cost $21.50 and no one is turned away due to inability to pay.
Immunization Clinics

Old 01-26-2015, 04:49 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,853,512 times
The Gardasil scandal has already taken place. Millions of parents have been bamboozled into having their daughters (and sons) vaccinated for a cancer with a relatively low occurrence in the U.S but high in third-world countries. Also, it's verboten to consider lifestyles as they contribute to certain specific risk factors (e.g., multiple partners/promiscuity) that apply.

Pushing Gardasil here has been nothing more than a huge experiment using American girls as guinea pigs for developing countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting