Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 12:40 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The Onion, huh?
Yep. Summarizes the anti-vax point of view quite nicely, with just the right touch of sarcasm.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:49 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yep. Summarizes the anti-vax point of view quite nicely, with just the right touch of sarcasm.
Only in the mind of those who choose to ridicule and shame people for having a different point of view. And for those who defend and support the pharmaceutical industry like obedient little soldiers.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Only in the mind of those who choose to ridicule and shame people for having a different point of view.
This seems to be the latest anti-vax meme: "You pro vaccine peole are just so mean!" Most of us have gone out of our way not to criticize the people posting anit-vax stuff (I won't dignify it with the term "information"), but a lot of anti-vaxers have criticized the pro-vaxers, accusing them of being unethical, evil and the like.

As I've said so many times, this isn't like "Is red a prettier color than blue?". Anti-vax is flat-earth, Elvis is alive stuff.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
This seems to be the latest anti-vax meme: "You pro vaccine peole are just so mean!" Most of us have gone out of our way not to criticize the people posting anit-vax stuff (I won't dignify it with the term "information"), but a lot of anti-vaxers have criticized the pro-vaxers, accusing them of being unethical, evil and the like.

As I've said so many times, this isn't like "Is red a prettier color than blue?". Anti-vax is flat-earth, Elvis is alive stuff.

Not everything that "antivaxxers" say is a meme. I think you read way too much pro vaccine propaganda and are way too invested in vaccines to even try to realize that many people are looking at this objectively, looking at risk reward ratios and coming to a different conclusion then you. This is not as black and white as you like to make it seem. Science and numbers can be manipulated to promote certain things and hide others. I tend to believe the people who have complained of vaccine reactions to Gardasil. You want it all to be verified by the CDC. That's your choice. I don't trust them to be that objective.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Not everything that "antivaxxers" say is a meme. I think you read way too much pro vaccine propaganda and are way too invested in vaccines to even try to realize that many people are looking at this objectively, looking at risk reward ratios and coming to a different conclusion then you. This is not as black and white as you like to make it seem. Science and numbers can be manipulated to promote certain things and hide others. I tend to believe the people who have complained of vaccine reactions to Gardasil. You want it all to be verified by the CDC. That's your choice. I don't trust them to be that objective.
You're being mean! (J/K) But that's what I mean; a pro-vaxer can say the same words, and an anti comes along and says "you're being mean". It's happening here and also on the NPR comment boards.

I'm objective about vaccines. I've given/been present for thousands of doses of Gardasil and I've never seen a reaction! I know that's anecdotal, but I have a lot bigger sample size than you do. And believe me,we have a clientele who would raise holy h*e*double hockey-stick if their kid had a reaction.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-29-2015 at 01:25 PM..

Old 01-29-2015, 01:20 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Only in the mind of those who choose to ridicule and shame people for having a different point of view. And for those who defend and support the pharmaceutical industry like obedient little soldiers.
That's what satire does. If the piece appears to cut too close to the bone, you might want to listen to what it is saying.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:57 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:

Hey, you have your right to your point of view. If its naturally ludicrous to me why can't I poke fun at it? Hard science doesn't change your opinion so.... perhaps satire can make you get things into perspective.

You might think the world is carried on the back of a turtle. That's your right. But its still dumb.

The conspiracy theorists with their obedience to cognitive dissonance and fundamental attribution error issues...

Old 01-29-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Hey, you have your right to your point of view. If its naturally ludicrous to me why can't I poke fun at it? Hard science doesn't change your opinion so.... perhaps satire can make you get things into perspective.

You might think the world is carried on the back of a turtle. That's your right. But its still dumb.

The conspiracy theorists with their obedience to cognitive dissonance and fundamental attribution error issues...

Whatever.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:31 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Most of it is so predictable it is a meme. Why are you so scared of science? You claim science can b manipulated....but refuse to see the manipulation you've fallen for..... Lies may be comforting but they do more damage in the long run.

And no...'whatever' is not a suitable comeback...I expect better from a 12 year old in a snit.....use your big words and explain how science has been manipulated to be pro vaccine..... (it's actually neutral...either it works or it doesn't).....and if you are unable to do that....maybe it's because you don't understand science....not that it's been manipulated to give an answer you just don't like.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:08 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This is alarming. I know we've discussed this here before and people have strong opinions on both sides. This is news.

Merck’s Former Doctor Predicts Gardasil To Become The Greatest Medical Scandal Of All Time | Collective-Evolution
I think blindly trusting the Corporate Big Pharma-Government alliance is every bit as thick headed as the small minority of people who decline all vaccinations.

Furthermore, it bothers me that vaccinations (inevitably I suppose) have turned into a 1 or 10 issue. i.e. We have people who're 1's and don't want any vaccinations at all on one extreme end, and we have people who're 10's who believe that any vaccination Big Pharma recommends needs to be mandated by law and administered to everyone.

I like to think I'm a 5, where I imagine most people actually lie. I'm aware that vaccinations have essentially eradicated many horrible diseases that were once a part of life. I had my children vaccinated for MMR, Small Pox, Tetanus, all the standard ones that schools require. At the same time, I don't allow any vaccinations that seem unnecessary to me and I think it's disingenuous to ridicule people who question vaccines. Point blank, I don't trust Big Pharma or the FDA to protect me from them.

The flu vaccine is one my family passes on. I think it's a basically a scam. Like many high level schems, it's a solution (read: profits), looking for a problem. The numbers they've crafted to scare people about the flu are so doctored that it's hard to take the rest of the debate seriously. 500 people died from the flu in 2010 according to the CDC. The figure commonly quoted though is 50k because the CDC re-labeled the flu as as "Flu and Pneumonia". Of those two, the flu only killed 500 people, pneumonia killed the rest. Of those pneumonia deaths, over half were bacterial, not viral, so they didn't come from the flu. Even these are only attributed to the flu, nothing more than estimates. Since the flu weakens the immune systems of sick people the CDC started adding a % of people who die from various non-flu related things like heart disease, "respiratory-circulatory" issues, etc. They receive an estimate, then call it "under-reporting" so they multiply the numbers by 2.7 (I'm serious. This is actually how they calculate this. Yeah science!). My experience is that if something's life threatening, you don't have to massage the numbers and re-label it for it to be frightening.

This brings me to the topic of Gardasil/HPV vaccine, another that I absolutely don't believe in. Remember back in 2007 when Rick Perry tried to mandate the HPV vaccine for every 12 y/o girl in the state of Texas. Turns out he'd granted the contract to Merck, who had been his #1 or nearly #1 (depending on how you do the math) campaign donor. Merck had also hired his aide as a lobbyist to work Texas for 5 years, before Perry hired him back to run his Presidential Super-PAC. I go back to: If this is such a problem and such a miracle vaccination, why the con job? It absolutely crushes my trust of the people pushing Gardasil. Also, why are judges paying out millions in settlements to victims of Gardasil from the class action lawsuit if there's no evidence that it can harm these girls? The mere fact that they've turned this into a big hustle tells me I'd rather my daughters take their chances with mother nature on HPV than with these Big Pharma/Political grease balls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting