Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 10:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Yep, I think I read that the most likely way for a baby/child to be exposed is thru their parents and caregivers - so it is important the you and your husband be current on your shots.
OTOH, it may be totally unnecessary for the parent to get a booster; ideally they should talk to their doctors. They can also get a titer to see if they are immune; if so, they don't need another dose. Of course, a booster never hurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 10:44 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Before the vaccine, 100% minus a very few outliers got measles. Anyone born before 1957 is considered immune b/c it was ubiquitous then. It is one of the most contagious, if not THE most contagious diseases out there. 90% of non-immune people who are exposed will get it in a single exposure. And the h***it was just a part of life. People had to post quarantine signs in their windows, and even that didn't stop the spread.
Vintage Medical Quarantine Sign Measles Paper | eBay
30% of all measles cases result in complications, including permanent brain damage and hearing loss.

I have sourced all this in the past.
I was born in 1948 in NYC. I do not remember those signs. We used to go over kids houses when they had measles. Parents then wanted their kids to catch measles, same as chicken pox, as young as possible. Besides if a child, and of course their parents, had measles before they weren't going to get it again. Why should they be denied access to a home with measles?

Maybe that sign was from AFTER the vaccination came out in the 60s.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:50 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I was born in 1948 in NYC. I do not remember those signs. We used to go over kids houses when they had measles. Parents then wanted their kids to catch measles, same as chicken pox, as young as possible. Besides if a child, and of course their parents, had measles before they weren't going to get it again. Why should they be denied access to a home with measles?
I have never, ever heard that about Measles. Chicken pox, yes, German Measles (Rubella), yes, but Measles (Rubeola).....no never.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:

No, it wasn't. Actually, those signs are very old. When my bro and I got the measles in 1955 or 56, my mom, a former public health nurse, asked about quarantine signs and was told they didn't do that any more. Have YOU seen any since?

Visual Culture and Public Health Posters - Exhibit Introduction

Since adults were presumed to be immune, they weren't quarantined.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:57 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Before the vaccine, parents just kept their kids close to home and away from others when there was a lot of cases around. Sometimes the children got measles, sometime they didn't. We just didn't get so frightened about catching the disease......it was part of life and raising children.

And, yes, sometimes they got very ill and died. Somehow, we managed to survive. It could be bad. Usually it wasn't.
Unless you were one of the ones who died...

Old 01-31-2015, 12:28 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Before the vaccine, parents just kept their kids close to home and away from others when there was a lot of cases around. Sometimes the children got measles, sometime they didn't. We just didn't get so frightened about catching the disease......it was part of life and raising children.

And, yes, sometimes they got very ill and died. Somehow, we managed to survive. It could be bad. Usually it wasn't.
Yes well we have advanced to the point where we can actually prevent them know :-P. I mean people used to let their children ride in the back seat of car windows as well. Doesn't mean it was a positive thing either.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:35 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
And so it begins....

Doctor fed up with measles outbreak takes controversial stance - CBS News

Old 01-31-2015, 12:38 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:

No, people didn't put quarantine signs on their houses for measles. It was considered a normal childhood disease like chicken pox. Now that I know more though, I would consider it to be more serious than chicken pox because of the after effects if the child resumed normal activities too soon or if they weren't kept in a semi darkened room. You had to follow doctor's orders. I never heard of anyone dying from measles and by the time the vaccine came out the US death rate was only about 1-3% (I just read this.) The problem was possible after effects, not death. There are far more deaths from asthma than from measles.

I would be more worried about measles than chicken pox though. I also just read that even though I, personally never heard of a baby getting measles babies CAN get it now. That's because when a mother has had natural measles she passes on the immunity to the baby. Not so if she has been vaccinated instead of actually having measles. She may pass on some degree of immunity but it doesn't last very long so now (as opposed to when I was growing up) babies CAN get measles.

I'm on the fence about these vaccinations. It seems that it would be better to get natural measles and be immune for your entire life and pass on that natural immunity to a baby. But--and this is a big BUT--with measles you need to get excellent care. I think it was two weeks of total bed rest and do not resume activities too soon. That and staying in a darkened room. For me, the worst part of having measles was the BOREDOM. Just lying there, not allowed to read or get out of bed. Boooooooring. And you don't even feel sick.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:51 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post

The measles virus can linger in the air for up to two hours and babies under a year old are especially at risk because they're too young to receive the vaccine.

That didn't used to be the case when the mother had already HAD natural measles. She would have passed her own immunity down to the child and babies never got measles. Looks like either everybody's got to get vaccinated or nobody should get vaccinated. There's no "in between."

Since the mothers are no longer passing their immunity down to their babies, then I guess I'd be FOR getting everyone vaccinated. Realistically, not many mothers today have the "luxury" of staying home for two weeks to care for a kid with the measles anyway, no matter what age the kid is. My mother did and she and my dad took turns reading to me. Neighbors lent piles of books so that I could be read to--you had to be careful for the entire TWO WEEKS. Two boring weeks in bed and not feeling sick, feeling so good that you wanted to go out and play--but therein lay the danger. Resuming normal activity too soon!!!!!

Old 01-31-2015, 01:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

The measles virus can linger in the air for up to two hours and babies under a year old are especially at risk because they're too young to receive the vaccine.

That didn't used to be the case when the mother had already HAD natural measles. She would have passed her own immunity down to the child and babies never got measles. Looks like either everybody's got to get vaccinated or nobody should get vaccinated. There's no "in between."

Since the mothers are no longer passing their immunity down to their babies, then I guess I'd be FOR getting everyone vaccinated. Realistically, not many mothers today have the "luxury" of staying home for two weeks to care for a kid with the measles anyway, no matter what age the kid is. My mother did and she and my dad took turns reading to me. Neighbors lent piles of books so that I could be read to--you had to be careful for the entire TWO WEEKS. Two boring weeks in bed and not feeling sick, feeling so good that you wanted to go out and play--but therein lay the danger. Resuming normal activity too soon!!!!!
If that were true, why would anyone get the measles? Everyone's mother would have had it and passed down their immunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting