Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 09:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

This child is eating a healthy diet. Little kids like starchy foods, and this child is not getting an excess. Nutella is being used as a spread, hardly a deal-breaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 07:27 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
This child is eating a healthy diet. Little kids like starchy foods, and this child is not getting an excess. Nutella is being used as a spread, hardly a deal-breaker.
It that's healthy to you, I hate to see what a bad diet would be. If that child has any intolerance to carbs and sugar (which based on her behavior, I would put money on), this diet is the culprit.

A nut butter such as almond would be 100% better than Nutella. And there's no need to give a young child chocolate milk EVERY day, my gosh, what kind of habits are you instilling.

The SAD is killing people.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:51 PM

87 posts, read 167,507 times
In reference to napping, all kids are different. My oldest needed her naps until kinder and still needs more sleep than her younger sister. Youngest was done by 3 and I had to ask preschool to not let her sleep otherwise she wouldn't fall asleep until 10.

Regarding the diet, I'm sorry, but I agree w/ some of the other comments. Have you looked at the sugar content of Nutella and the chocolate milk? A regular serving of either has as much sugar as a scoop of ice cream. I wouldn't let my kids who are much older than yours consume that much sugar in a day. Regardless of the sleep issue, that's just way too much sugar for a young child.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I enforced two naps a day for my first two kids, but had to finally give up the second nap on the third. Too much was going on in the house for a nap. But I insisted on the naps for as long as I could get away with it. I needed them to take naps!

It sounds to me as if your daughter needs more sleep. When my kids told me they weren't tired, I insisted they lie down anyway. Usually they did go to sleep. Your daughter doesn't get to choose her own routine at three years of age. You are the mom. When she says she isn't tired, just tell her she has to lie down for at least 15 minutes. Likely she will fall asleep. And you will get a break.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
It that's healthy to you, I hate to see what a bad diet would be. If that child has any intolerance to carbs and sugar (which based on her behavior, I would put money on), this diet is the culprit.

A nut butter such as almond would be 100% better than Nutella. And there's no need to give a young child chocolate milk EVERY day, my gosh, what kind of habits are you instilling.

Diet gets blamed for many things that it has no relation to. I don't see anything unusual about this child's behavior. She seems ready to give up her naps. She's 3 years old. That is hardly unusual. She's eating fruits, veggies, cheese, chicken, plus breads. A teaspoon of Nutella is not going to kill her, any more than 4 oz of chocolate milk is going to. Sugar does not cause hyperactivity.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:40 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Okay at age 3 or so the kids are more developed, more aware that YOU are not going to bed with her. Now naps can end between 2 and 4. . .but here is what I would do

1 - stick to a rule based schedule. Well you don't have to sleep, but brush your teeth and wash up and stories and stay in bed. that is the rule/sorry

2 - same for mid-day nap time (rename it quiet time) but give an option of playing/reading quietly in bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
She is 3 years and 2 months. She wakes up at 7 AM (usually), naps between 12:30 and 2:30. All these days, we start the evening bed time routine at 7:30 and she goes to sleep by 8:15 or 8:30. These days, every single day she is saying she is not tired, she doesnt want to go to bed etc until about 9:30 and some days even at 10:30 she is still not tired. She goes to daycare.

Since its peak winter, they dont take the kids to parks. They stay indoors.

Should I just let her hang out with me until 9 or 9:30 or is she ready to skip the naps?
What time does your 3 year old goes to bed?

Old 02-09-2015, 02:45 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Nutella l is about 100 calories of chocolate hazelnut goodness per tablespoon, 2g protein

Almond Butter is 101, 2.41 g of protein.

So i'm going to say your full of crap. 100% better. Maybe 2% better based on the higher protein content.

Man - talk about 100% wrong.

Though I would agree on the chocolate milk thing. That is f'd up. My kids too have experience the goodness of Chocolate milk, milk, water, root beer, orange juice and apple juice.

but 1% milk or water is all they get for every meal. . but maybe one a weekend.

just don't buy chocolate milk. We got water or Milk, thats it.

easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post

Old 02-09-2015, 03:53 PM

384 posts, read 508,011 times
My four year old naps at daycare for at least an hour if not 2 sometimes.

At home, he goes down at 1 or 1:30 and will sleep until 4 or 5 (and sometimes we have to wake him up). Goes down again between 8 and 9 at night, though he'll get up at least once in the first 10 mins for a glass of water, and extra kiss, beg for another book, etc. But, then he is gone until he wakes in the morning between 6 and 7.

I have no real advice other than I've always heard that "sleep begets sleep" and I believe it to be true. We're thankful for that nap because when this kid is awake - he's AWAKE!!! He's fun, but exhausting just to watch. Can't imagine the calories that kid is burning sometimes

Old 02-10-2015, 09:27 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,595 times
Yes, I am really trying to cut down on chocolate milk. Over the weekend we bought some chocolate mix and reduced it by half and mixed in in regular milk. In the next one week, I am really hoping to reduced it by some more and eventually to a state where she is OK to drink plain milk again.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:57 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
Yes, I am really trying to cut down on chocolate milk. Over the weekend we bought some chocolate mix and reduced it by half and mixed in in regular milk. In the next one week, I am really hoping to reduced it by some more and eventually to a state where she is OK to drink plain milk again.
I am almost sorry that I brought up the subject of diet. I didn't intend to start a war on CD by simply suggesting more protein. You are feeding your little girl many very healthy foods, and appear to have an open mind for suggestions. Your daughter is lucky to have you for her mother!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting