Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:33 PM

19 posts, read 49,063 times

Advertisements

My DD was born on 24 Dec 2003. It's been difficult to schedule bday parties and sort gifts for bday and xmas. Usually all the bday gifts get shoved aside in favor of the xmas gifts. Any ideas from parents similarly birthed DCs would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 12:38 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
This might be the wrong forum to ask this question. I'd try to parenting forum. You'll probably get a lot of good responses there.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/parenting/

Old 08-31-2014, 02:53 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times
Mine was born on Dec 30th, which is not better.
She hasn't had a birthday party yet because of her health issues, but when she does - I guess next birthday! - it will take place in January. Her friends will all be in town, and less busy.
As for gifts, toys are only for Christmas, and for her birthday she will a nice book, clothes, stuff like that.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:41 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
There are plenty of people born on or around holidays including our middle son (Dec 28). We held his parties in January or February when the holiday obligations had died down. When he was younger, we might have gone a bit overboard with gifts so he wouldn't feel cheated, but it wasn't a big deal. We just built upon whatever he got for Christmas. If he got Nintendo for Christmas, he got games for his birthday, etc. The same idea would work in reverse for you.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:49 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCamps View Post
My DD was born on 24 Dec 2003. It's been difficult to schedule bday parties and sort gifts for bday and xmas. Usually all the bday gifts get shoved aside in favor of the xmas gifts. Any ideas from parents similarly birthed DCs would be helpful!
My great grandmother was born on Christmas Eve....her sister on New Year's Eve.......even 'back in the day' her parents celebrated their 1/2 birthdays in June...something my great grandmother did her entire life. At least one of my daughter's friends with a 22 December birthday does the same thing.

Last edited by ScarletG; 08-31-2014 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Damn auto correct

Old 08-31-2014, 04:09 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
We had the party the week before, while kids were still in school. Parents were usually happy to have a 2-hour window for last-minute errands.

Always wrapped bday presents in bday paper, etc.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:27 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
My daughter was born Dec 1 so she gets lost in the shuffle between Thanksgiving and Christmas (not really we always remember But its hard to get people involved after Thanksgiving and most don't want to give up much before Christmas as far as gifts go. My sister two years later had her daughter Dec 22nd. We always do her birthday the weekend before so its not an issue with Christmas.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:00 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My daughter was born Dec 1 so she gets lost in the shuffle between Thanksgiving and Christmas (not really we always remember But its hard to get people involved after Thanksgiving and most don't want to give up much before Christmas as far as gifts go. My sister two years later had her daughter Dec 22nd. We always do her birthday the weekend before so its not an issue with Christmas.
My daughter is born on the same day....but we never had a problem with organizing parties and such. We just did it the weekend after. Thanksgiving is over....and most people aren't yet real into Christmas yet so it worked out for us.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:11 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,356,826 times
My twins were born on 12/26. I really never found it difficult scheduling birthday parties, etc. When they were in elementary school, they always had a party around the 1st weekend of December (which worked out great because winter break didn't start for another couple of weeks). If you wait until winter break, some of the kids may be out of town. No problem with gifts, either. They opened xmas gifts on xmas, birthday gifts on their birthday. We skipped getting a cake or similar goodies at xmas time and always had a birthday cake on their birthday.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:30 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,186 times
I had to deal with my birthday being a month after Christmas (Jan.25th). That is when everyone gets their credit card statements and realize they spent way too much on Christmas presents. The sticker shock inevitably caused them to be in a less than happy and giving mood on my birthday. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting