Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 06:29 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

I think there was break in between, that's why they extended the after school and before school child care- that is NOT been around always. I think with more of the college push teens have been working more on the extra activities to make it, than watching kids. I know less and less babysitters- I think maybe that has stayed in smaller towns and no longer in the city? I do not know,,, Do not think anyone trust anyone anymore. But for those who cannot afford the after school care- the older siblings are carrying the load-not sure gives them the same choice to succeed. My sister n brother went to college- I ran the house, and got out soon as I could. Again what was- and now what is. Think the new teens raising kids now days a good thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 06:42 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I am not seeing teens raising kids from what you have posted. I am seeing older siblings pitching in to help with their younger brothers and sisters while the parents work. That's a concept as old as time, and less common than in the past. Does it cut down on the activities the older ones can participate in? Yes. Should that keep them from furthering their education? No. Your situation is not the norm.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I think there was break in between, that's why they extended the after school and before school child care- that is NOT been around always. I think with more of the college push teens have been working more on the extra activities to make it, than watching kids. I know less and less babysitters- I think maybe that has stayed in smaller towns and no longer in the city? I do not know,,, Do not think anyone trust anyone anymore. But for those who cannot afford the after school care- the older siblings are carrying the load-not sure gives them the same choice to succeed. My sister n brother went to college- I ran the house, and got out soon as I could. Again what was- and now what is. Think the new teens raising kids now days a good thing?
I am going to have to question whether or not teens are really "raising" younger siblings all that often. Starting when I was about 11, I was in charge of my younger sister after school. Never have I felt like I "raised" her. Nor do I feel like day care providers "raise" kids when parents work. There is a lot that goes into raising kids. Supervising them for a few hours at a time is not "raising" them.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Helping out with siblings is not raising siblings. My husband was literally raised by his sisters since his mom didn't want to raise him when he was born. There was never a second thought from his sisters about changing their lives in order to raise him (they are from a very extended family centered culture, though), and, yes, it worked.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:46 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacere View Post
Nothing new, nothing to worry about. Poor teens, their lives won't be destroyed.
You sound like someone who wasn't saddled as a single-digit aged child with the massive responsibility of daily raising/teaching/feeding/protecting all your younger siblings? I'm guessing you had a genuine childhood & were allowed to play & have fun with friends on a regular basis? If so, very, very lucky you.

To the OP, I know of no teens raising siblings today. When I was a kid, child caretakers were more common, but not exclusive. In my mum's day, it was the norm because both parents had to work... at least in my family & their social circles. I'm just not seeing the OP's POV, unless you're only speaking of personal experience with those in your social circle?

Old 02-10-2015, 08:10 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
You sound like someone who wasn't saddled as a single-digit aged child with the massive responsibility of daily raising/teaching/feeding/protecting all your younger siblings? I'm guessing you had a genuine childhood & were allowed to play & have fun with friends on a regular basis? If so, very, very lucky you.

To the OP, I know of no teens raising siblings today. When I was a kid, child caretakers were more common, but not exclusive. In my mum's day, it was the norm because both parents had to work... at least in my family & their social circles. I'm just not seeing the OP's POV, unless you're only speaking of personal experience with those in your social circle?
Such assumptions - I cooked since I was 10 and took care of the house n family even when my father died at 81 - I had to make the decisions- they waited on me- My mom died by 51 she was sick. SO I get doing it-
but I see maybe more bearing on the teens than before as parents are younger and in a whole different frame of mind? I don't know- but I know of 4 teens that never leave the house- have no friends and do not get involved in other activities. Maybe it has always been? As we didn't KNOW mom was sick, I resented the not being free to be a kid- and I did leave out by 17
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting