Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 05:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
So you are ok with your kids going out places with people you never met?
That's the problem; why should I be ok with her going out with strangers?
You are the one that let her go to their home. If you didn't feel she would be safe with them, you should not have allowed her to go. A 1 mile bike ride with adults accompanying them does not seem excessive or odd to me. I'm not sure I understand why you feel she was safe in their home but not outside. It sounds like a nice day to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 05:17 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
If I was ok with the parents of my kids friends, then there was a reason for it. I trusted them, and their judgement. Obviously, you don't feel the same way about your daughter's friends parents, because I don't see what the big deal is here. And if you don't, you shouldn't have let her go.

It sounds as though there is a lot of marital tension in your house, which is a terrible situation for a child. She was probably better off spending the day with indulgent grandparents than listening to her parents argue.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:18 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You said you knew the parents....so your scared of a bike ride with the evil grandparents?

No, I would not have a problem with what your daughter did. I know for a fact that at least once my daughter was at a friend's house and a grandparent arrived and offered to take the kids for ice cream. I didn't have a problem with it then....wouldn't have a problem with it now.
Agreed. She's 10 not 4. Lighten up.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
In that case, I'd be more pissed off at my kid for asking me to do something that my husband already said no to. I'd be annoyed about her going out without letting me know, but I'm not sure she needs to be grounded over it, especially if it hasn't happened before. Seriously, she went for a bike ride, not to a frat party.
Quote:
No I didn't; I said that above in the OP. It seemed like a spur of the moment thing; nothing complicated...I expect the same thing, I expect a phone call and/or a text to let me know if they're going somewhere!

Old 02-15-2015, 05:19 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
My daughter went to dad first thing this morning putting him on the spot (because she was doing facetime with this friend), and asked to go on a playdate with her at her house.

He said no.

Then, about 2 hours later she sucked me into this playdate by putting me on the spot when we were on our way out to go shopping.

So, she goes to this friends house, I go shopping by myself, and then I go pick her up and the first thing she tells me is how she went biking to some store about a mile away with this friend! I tried to stay calm, until we left because this could have turned ugly...

Now, in the car she tells me this girls grandparents went with them....

Here's the problem:
1. Neither myself or my husband were thrilled with this today; he already said no once, but forgot to tell me since he didn't think she was going to come to me with it.
2. I never meet these "grandparents". Not once, I have no idea what they look like, how old they are, and how "bike safe" they are, I only meet the mother, and her father is obtuse at best; he never says "hello", or make chit chat. He's really weird...
3. She knows she's not allowed to go out to other places when on playdates, let alone biking; we live in FL, no bike lanes, and drivers are not used to see people walking or bikers. She hasn't biked in at least 7 months....
4. She's 10, not 15 or older...did not have a phone with her either; I usually give her my spare phone when she goes on school trips etc.; today did not have a phone since I didn't expect this at all. I thought they were playing nice at her house!
5. She knows I text with her mom, and she didn't text me to at least let me know she'll be out wondering with people I never meet.
6. NO, we are not close with these people; her best friend moved away, and she's been seeing this girl once in a while type thing. She is an only child and VERY spoiled/gets away with everything type. I don't raise my kids like that.
7. My husband decided to throw a temper tantrum at me because I grounded her! He's a jerk, and seems to think we live in the 70's still! He does not parent these kids at all...all he does is yell, and ignore everyone so he can play games on his ipad!

So how "OK" is this with y'all?
All that drama is unnecessary when educating your children. Actually, it's counterproductive.
Once children were free to play, come and go as they wished. But today, we live in different times. So nobody should tell you what values and behaviors are appropriate for your family. You make your own rules for your kids. But the question is what do they take with them from today's experience? Did your daughter learn anything or all she will remember is that her parents were mad for no good reason? I also strongly recommend not to portray your husband as "jerk". In your daughter eyes he's ... daddy. Her judgment is way different than yours.

Last edited by oberon_1; 02-15-2015 at 05:28 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 05:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Well, the kid was VERY deceptive. I do have a problem with that.

It sounds like you have pretty bad marital problems anyway. More going on here than we can help with.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:34 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
What is with this "putting (him/me) on the spot" language? Is there a back story for feeling that way? It's kinda odd such a normal request would incur such feelings. Though, I do agree that the girl should not have asked after dad says no.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:40 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,532 times
Get over it, it is going to happen more and more, and one day she will be gone for good, that life........

Old 02-15-2015, 05:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
She was at the house with people you've never met. I guess I don't see a big difference.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:59 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Well, the kid was VERY deceptive. I do have a problem with that.

It sounds like you have pretty bad marital problems anyway. More going on here than we can help with.
I'd want to find out why dad said no first...if he just didn't want to be bothered to take her...then I dont blame her for asking Mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting