Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 03:07 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,320 times

Advertisements

I made a similar post about this not too long ago. I'm still not onboard with the full day Universal Pre-K and really wasn't that thrilled with my visit at a school yesterday. Only 6 Universal pre-k's are still half day in my area. The rest, and I'm going to say about at least 60 or so, are now ALL full day. I was also a little sad today too when I got a letter home from DD's current 3 year old pre-school (church run), letting us know that the school, which has been open for 35 years, will be shut down this June due to lack of enrollment. They listed one of the reasons for the closing on UPK. I would in a heart beat send my kid to private Pre-K next year, which all offer half day and 3-4 day programs, but we can't afford it. We have new bill coming in, so it's not an option next year.

So my option is to send her to the half day pre-K I applied at yesterday. The school was ok, classrooms nice and clean, not "that" close to my house, but only a 10-12 min highway car drive and right down the block from DD's speech therapy office. She goes to speech 3xs a week. I figured I could bring her to her therapy sessions right after school. Instead of the director explaining the program to me, or even asking me to sit down lol, she was extremely pushy and went on and on about how she "Can't understand my hestiation with sending my DD full day. It's only 6 1/2 hours. Think of all the free time you will have. All UPks are turning full time these days. You won't have to go out right away in the cold." I had to lol to that one. To me, I found it rather annoying and intrusive. I don't feel like I needed to explain myself or my reasoning for not wanting my 4 year old in school full day. If I come in saying I'm here to register my kid for a half day program, that's what I'm interested in, half day. It was almost like she was hoping no one would register for the half day program. She even went as far as telling me "Oh, you may end up like my other parents and have to pay for extended day." No, I won't bc I'm not interested. She has a one full day UPK as well and this half day class, only has 9 seats, which is what I applied to. We were the 5th application she got, so I'm assuming DD will get a spot. She then said how they "may" turn full day, so she would call me if they did. The UPK is state funded, so maybe she gets more money for each full day seat she fills.

My other option is to enroll her in a full day program, but 3 days a week pull her out at 11:30, so she can attend her speech sessions. If she goes full day 5 days a week, which I really don't want, she looses her current speech therapist who we JUST got in January and who she's FINALLY progressing with. I figured I would call/email some full day programs and run it by them. I found quite a few, including our local YMCA by our house, who said it would not be a problem having her leave early some days. The director said she has 2 students in her program now who leave early for similar reasons.

I posted about this on another site, which I stopped posting on for a while bc of the bullying and cattyness, (it's an all woman mothering board) and got responses like "You think you have a special snowflake. My kid could use your child's full day seat. You and your kid are going to be disruptive, you have some nerve asking to leave early. The director is only telling you this and they will report you to the DOE for attendance." You would think I killed someone

So, since I know this board has many level headed folks on here, if you were in my situation WWYD? Am I that horrible of a person by having my kid leave a few hours early from a non-mandated pre-school class? Do you think it will be horribly disruptive? Or, if she gets in the half day program we applied to yesterday (we won't find out until June), just send her there? Do you think the director had a reason for trying to sell a full day UPK program on me? And of course, our last option is just keep her home next year. She already has one year of pre-school under her belt, though I think the social aspect of Pre-K would be good for her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 03:43 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
You know your child better than we do. If you think that a full day program is not in her best interests, then don't do it.

I realize some parents don't have a choice, and some kids can thrive in that setting, but mine were definitely done with the school day by lunch time. I would not have signed them up for the full day program.

I do think it might be disruptive to the routine to pull her out three days a week. Did you get the feeling the schools would be ok with that?

You do what works best for your child. The end.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:48 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Its preschool, do what you want. You are paying for it.

I see nothing wrong with full day preschool for 4 year olds. Gets them ready for kinder. But do what works for you and your kid

Old 03-27-2015, 04:20 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
I took my 4 year old to UPK and pulled her out early many days. She was born right before the cutoff, and I was in grad school, so there were some weeks when I was busier than other. There was certainly never a consequence for her absenteeism, and I seriously doubt anyone would hassle you about that. I suppose it could be uncool to 'waste' a spot on UPK if there is a waiting list, but I didn't look at it that way. I was concerned about the needs of my child, and long days were stressful for her (and/or me)

I pulled her out of a perfectly good preschool to put her in UPK because it was free and I was trying to save money. The UPK was at a Jewish Community Center that had a gym and pool and a great playground. She liked those things. There was structure and routine and taking turns and interaction, all good. But the teacher was kind of limp. She put up a Word Wall the first week of school, and at the end of the year it was still there and she hadn't put any words on it! A big blank wall, all year!?!? She had an early childhood certificate (had to, to teach UPK) but you sure would never guess it. I wish I had just kept her at the original preschool.

As for socialization, well, my girl is a natural born introvert. She has a bit of an anxiety disorder or something, and 10 years later I'm still worrying about her socialization. Do I think she should have gone to preschool? Definitely. Do I think she would have benefited more if i had kept her there all day every day? Definitely not.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You know your child better than we do. If you think that a full day program is not in her best interests, then don't do it.

I realize some parents don't have a choice, and some kids can thrive in that setting, but mine were definitely done with the school day by lunch time. I would not have signed them up for the full day program.

I do think it might be disruptive to the routine to pull her out three days a week. Did you get the feeling the schools would be ok with that?

You do what works best for your child. The end.
I only spoke to the full day program schools via email/over the phone. I'm going to assume for example, the YMCA has no problem with it since she said she has 2 students who leave early now. I'm guessing if it was an issue for her, she wouldn't let those other kids leave early. Unless she's "lying" to me, like women on the other board suggested and plans on reporting me. I mean, she would be leaving during their nap/lunch time.

But I did come across a few schools via telephone convos that did have a problem. One said DD would not graduate from Pre-K and another said she would report it to the department of education and the DOE would contact me. Another said the DOE only looks at full day absences.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:14 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
I only spoke to the full day program schools via email/over the phone. I'm going to assume for example, the YMCA has no problem with it since she said she has 2 students who leave early now. I'm guessing if it was an issue for her, she wouldn't let those other kids leave early.
You really need to find out for sure.

Just figure out a place that most closely fits what you want and send her there.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You really need to find out for sure.

Just figure out a place that most closely fits what you want and send her there.
Her exact words were vie email "It would not be an issue. We have 2 students who currently leave early bc of that reason. Thank you for putting us on your application."

Old 03-27-2015, 08:20 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Her exact words were vie email "It would not be an issue. We have 2 students who currently leave early bc of that reason. Thank you for putting us on your application."
Well, there you go.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:30 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
Kids are deprived of being kids long enough in today's society. It shows too . . . I say let them be kids, in an unstructured environment that lets them use their imagination and hands. Play time, lots of read-together time etc . . . I realize that is hard in todays society where both parents have to work, but if someone has the means, I would always encourage keeping them out of school as long as you can.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:45 PM

500 posts, read 748,303 times
I agree with the above. You mentioned your daughter is in speech therapy. How is her communication? It may be hard on her to be in a full day program, and would you be happy with her in one, if she cannot tell you much about her day.

My daughter was offered a full day program at 3 and had very little pragmatic speech but I just couldn't see putting her in for that many hours, and they would not let me do a half day. As others have said, you know your child best. Trust your instincts about the schools and what you think will meet your daughter's needs best. (And dump the mean Mom's board! I just can't fathom why some people are like that)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting