Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 07:25 AM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I saved mine for the daughter I never had (three sons). Then I heard about this organization, and it seemed like the perfect place to let it go:

The Angel Gown® Program | NICU Helping Hands
Yeah... but they are not taking donations at this time.
Come September, they will take the first 2000 offered and that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:12 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,411,860 times
I have my grandmother's. She laced and had a sixteen inch waist! But it's so gorgeous. All handwork. A pin tucked underslip with lace insets. And the dress in a fine material with lots of hand-made lace.

I had my own preserved, also. It's now nearly fifty years old. There was no way my more sturdily built daughter could have ever worn it. But it also was hand-made by a favorite aunt.

I see people selling them on Ebay and various places on the net.

Now and then the Historical Societies (museums) of various localities have exhibitions of how things have changed through the ages. They will take donations of old items so I'm contemplating donating the dresses to them.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:07 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
I am debating if I should sell my wedding dress while I can still make some $$$ off of it seeing as it is still in style. I would keep the veil to pass on to my daughters. I just feel like the minute I sell the dress I will have regret. What if they wanted to at least have the option to wear my dress, you know? On the other hand, my mom sold her dress and I didn't care (it was quite hideous too lol)....

Moms, what are you planning on doing with your dress?
I'm not, I never had one. But hypothetically speaking if I did, I wouldn't save it because style change, size changes, what if she's pregnant? And so forth! I might keep it as a souvenir for myself, but I wouldn't offer it to my daughter. Different generations...

Old 04-28-2015, 01:15 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,534 times
My parents were married in 1973 and my mother wore a very flow-y, hippie-ish dress. None of us (three daughters) wanted to wear it when we got married, and mom was a little disappointed. We all fought over who got to wear our maternal grandmother's 1950s Grace Kelly-inspired gown. My sister won that honor as the oldest, and I got to wear my paternal grandmother's 1940s dress.
The funny thing is that my 12 year old niece thinks my mother's dress is the most beautiful thing she has ever seen! She has given my mother hope.
So if you really hope someone will wear your dress, maybe it will be your grandchild or great-grandchild. There is no guarantees but I think it is a nice tradition, especially if the marriage is a happy one. My paternal grandparents will celebrate their 70 wedding anniversary in 2016 (God willing) so I feel like wearing her dress was good luck!

Old 04-28-2015, 01:43 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yeah... but they are not taking donations at this time.
Come September, they will take the first 2000 offered and that's it.
I'm not surprised, they had a write up in Atlanta and got a tremendous response. But there are other organizations that accept them and pass them on:

Donate Your Wedding Dress: 5 Charities That Accept Used Wedding Gowns

Goggle results show many more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting