Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 10:35 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,979,296 times

Advertisements

Baltimore Riots: Mom Smacks Son for Taking Part in Violence - ABC News

Hahahahaha.
She totally owns him.
No fun getting your ass kicked on live television by your own mother.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 12:21 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,042,175 times
He still walked off so she does lack control over him.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:14 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,729,742 times
I don't understand why this woman is getting so much praise for slapping her almost adult son around in public. In my book that does not qualify as stellar parenting.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:18 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,899,909 times
I totally agree with lowonluck and marlow. He still walked away...so she didn't have an impact. And she is smacking him...great parenting. Not. I bet lots of great mothers talked reason into their children and kept them home.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:32 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,884,517 times
I'm not sure that he's walking off, just more of backing off. It looked like they're heading towards the parking lot, where she may be parked. I'm sure he's completely beyond humiliated.

I'm in the Good Mom camp... better that he be beaten by her and not the cops. It sounded like the Baltimore PD were asking/begging parents to keep their kids home... At least this one showed up to get her kid, there's still tons of school age children running around in the chaos.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:37 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,489,634 times
I don't see it as an example of exemplary parenting, and certainly wouldn't give her the best mom ever title she's been given. But I totally understand her response.

It's a completely instinctual reaction. If you see your child in harm's way, you are going to react first and think later. It's like smacking the bottom of a toddler that darts into the street. Is it the best reaction, no. But fear and anger make people react by instincts instead of logic.

This mother knows young black men like her son have been being killed by police by doing far less. And there's that little dummy, GIVING the police a reason to shoot him or beat him to death. I'm pretty sure she didn't sit around going "hmmm, what shall I do to remedy this situation?" Her only objective was getting that kid off the street and out of harm's way by any means necessary. I don't condone slapping and hitting kids, and I believe black children especially need to know how to be treated with respect and dignity and not become used to violence and brutality. But at the same time, I'd rather see his mom slap him around than see him as the next black child killed by the police.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:03 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,365,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I don't see it as an example of exemplary parenting, and certainly wouldn't give her the best mom ever title she's been given. But I totally understand her response.

It's a completely instinctual reaction. If you see your child in harm's way, you are going to react first and think later. It's like smacking the bottom of a toddler that darts into the street. Is it the best reaction, no. But fear and anger make people react by instincts instead of logic.

This mother knows young black men like her son have been being killed by police by doing far less. And there's that little dummy, GIVING the police a reason to shoot him or beat him to death. I'm pretty sure she didn't sit around going "hmmm, what shall I do to remedy this situation?" Her only objective was getting that kid off the street and out of harm's way by any means necessary. I don't condone slapping and hitting kids, and I believe black children especially need to know how to be treated with respect and dignity and not become used to violence and brutality. But at the same time, I'd rather see his mom slap him around than see him as the next black child killed by the police.
well said Anna, Teen got what he deserved that probably saved his life or in trouble with the law

Old 04-28-2015, 07:29 PM

28 posts, read 28,156 times
I saw an interview with her today. He is her only son and she was afraid for his life.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:32 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,949,981 times
If that was a man he would go to jail for felony assault.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:40 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,824,292 times
Go mom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting