Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 04:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times

Advertisements

My kids were lucky if I managed to write their name on their lunch bag. Some of these are incredibly intricate and beautiful. But it would never have crossed my mind to criticize parents who had the talent to send their kids off with such creations. How petty and ridiculous.
Does this mean I was criticized for making all the kids clothes including sweaters and socks when they were little? Did people see it as my attempt to show off or to put down those who couldn't sew or knit? If they did feel that way nobody ever expressed it. We all parent in different ways. An artist does necessarily have a monopoly on creative way to show affection.

And really, who uses paper bags every day anyway? My kids have always liked lunch boxes or bags which had room for a thermos or containers for pasta salad, etc.

These Parents Make Lovely Lunch Bag Art. Not Everyone Is Pleased : The Salt : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 05:46 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,733,139 times
A friend of mine makes adorable lunch bags for her kids. Every cartoon character you can think of, robots, dinosaurs, all kinds of things. They're awesome. She draws very well and I tell her she could make a living doing it.

The napkins from your article are very impressive. I wish I could draw like that. I'm a doodler. I'm not surprised some moms got all crabby about them. The Mommy Wars are all some of them have.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:02 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,045,575 times
Haters gonna hate. I like to think most people would be impressed with the artistic gifts of others, without feeling that it's somehow a negative statement on their own parenting. I'm not going to decorate lunch bags or napkins myself, but I would love for my kids to see that art isn't just something you see in a museum, it can part of your everyday life.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:45 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,899,909 times
While I have no hate here, I do get the irritation with blogging "look at me being perfect" mommy culture. A back lash is coming.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:59 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,733,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
While I have no hate here, I do get the irritation with blogging "look at me being perfect" mommy culture. A back lash is coming.
Yeah, I do understand that. My Facebook friends don't usually post too many things like that, so I haven't seen a lot of obnoxious blogs. From time to time, one of my cousins shares a blog she reads. It's preachy stuff about parenting, and the subtitle is something like, "Yeah, we're THAT family." Very much an air of self-congratulation. My cousin's kids are all superstar overachievers and I admire them for it, but she has major help shuttling them around, as well as a trust fund. My mom has also told me her children are mouthy and I know one of them is in therapy for behavioral issues. That's not the image she puts on Facebook, but that's OK--I don't gripe about my kids on Facebook either.

My sister had a brief stint of making cunning bento boxes for her son, charmed by supermommy blogs. Then she realized how much money and food she was wasting!

Old 04-30-2015, 06:00 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,186,742 times
As a working mom with an extremely demanding job, my daughter still remembers the one time in elementary school that I had time to put a note in her lunch bag or school bag. It was the last day of 4th grade.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:42 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,111,302 times
I do stuff like that on my outgoing mail to friends is that a bad thing ? I sure hope not and I hope they enjoy getting those letters it is like a smile in their mail box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting