Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 07:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm so angry that I read this thread. I saw a man jogging with his shirt off tonight. I wouldn't have thought twice about it until this thread. UGH!
Quote:
Well we can't all be like you!
Oh that's obvious.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:36 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Oh that's obvious.
Oh that was snarky. I'm happy I'm not!

Old 07-07-2015, 09:07 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
I'm so angry that I read this thread. I saw a man jogging with his shirt off tonight. I wouldn't have thought twice about it until this thread. UGH!
...and now you just can't stop thinking about it? Is that what you're saying?

Old 07-07-2015, 10:17 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I walk around without a shirt on all the time. Live with it. Don't like it, don't look. Landscapers go shirtless around here often as well. Who cares?
I didn't say I necessarily think it's wrong. It's well known here that my husband and I are huge prudes, but even we recognize that society says a man going swimming usually won't be wearing a shirt. However, we hardly ever see a man just going about his business without a shirt on. (I've never seen a landscaper here go shirtless, and it's usually pretty warm in the summer here.) Your post had nothing to do with the fact that this still isn't Europe, and we still have a different culture than Europe. If you want to buck the dominant culture here, go ahead. Don't expect many people to be warm and fuzzy about it, though.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:35 AM

563 posts, read 524,281 times
Default So, the Founding Fathers were not George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Are you asking what countries are culturally the most similar to the US??

Generally (since we are an awfully large and diverse country) I would say: Canada, England and Australia.

But those are just my personal perceptions. In the interest of full disclosure, I have never visited Australia.

p.s. We were absolutely NOT founded by Europeans in 1776!!!

Silly history books! All of these years I have been taught a lie. I hate it when I see mass incorrect information being spread throughout every level of education system here in the US. Afternoon Coffee, are you there? Because if you are your post really makes no sense. Maybe a switch now and then to decaf, might be a good idea? But do share with us all, who were the "Founding Fathers," of the US? I am dying to be enlightened and I am sure there are many others who are feeling the same.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:17 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Their testicles haven't even dropped.
Hyperbole?

The truth is that the testicles normally drop shortly before birth.

To the OP: there is nothing wrong with being shirtless, especially if you're at the pool. Ignore those kids, and pray they won't grow up repressed from their sheltered upbringing.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:55 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
...and now you just can't stop thinking about it? Is that what you're saying?
I can't stop noticing it whereas I didn't before!

Old 07-08-2015, 05:57 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Wearing a shirt is not admitting someone is right. Pretty much everybody wears a shirt most of the time. I am not the one who is worried about past and future involvement with CPS. There is no way I am messing with that organization.
It is admitting that they are right that it is wrong to wear a shirt outside of being at a pool or beach which is not true at all. The only one CPS should investigate is the parents of the kids who think a man having a shirt off is bad.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:06 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I don't have a problem with his shirtlessness, but the OP is the one who said he needed to be proactive to avoid future trouble with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In this day and age of political correctness, you simply don't know what will come to the attention of police or Child Protective Services. I have had some episodes that I have discussed here (link) which, while dismissed as "unfounded" came too close to the edge for my comfort. Because of those reports I must be pro-active.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:53 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,059 times
You were not wrong being that you were going to the pool. It was just kids who weren't taught any manners.
Try the tropical parts of South America or beach areas in southern European countries where people go grocery shopping shirtless everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.