Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 03:18 AM

143 posts, read 158,697 times

Advertisements

I think as a first name Apollo is really cool, i like what it means and as an avid fan of outer space I like its relation to the Apollo Program. For a middle name I though Nova Scotia sounded cool, it's Latin for New Scotland and I'm from New Zealand but have Scottish ancestors so that's kind of a node to that heratiger but more than that I think it just sounds cool, do you think it's too much or okay? Also since Apollo is 3 syllables I was thinking it would probably end up being abbreviated, any ideas as for what to abbreviate Apollo to? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 07:06 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times
When my wife was pregnant with our first two children (twins - a boy and a girl), I thought Apollo and Aphrodite would make an excellent pair of names. My wife disagreed. Guess who got their way?

Seriously, Apollo is a solid name, I think. However, many will disagree. Still, by current standards it is not particularly unusual.

That said, if you go with a first name like that, then make sure the middle name is less unusual. Give the kid (or, later, the adult) a more conventional option to use.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:07 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,804,442 times
First, you should name your kid whatever you want to name him and don't rely on other people's opinions as you'll get your feelings hurt.

Second, you should consider what the name looks like on a resume as he will have this name his entire life.

With that, do you realize Nova Scotia is a province in Canada so no one will get your New Zealand and Scottish connection?

Old 07-18-2015, 07:21 AM

50,359 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I think its too much and, like Falconhead said, the connection to your ancestry is not going to be evident.
Apollo...OK
Nova...OK
Scotia...OK, but not Nova Scotia.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:40 AM

1,400 posts, read 765,282 times
The child will be tormented in school. It would, however be a perfectly good name for a small dog or a hamster.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:47 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,917 times
Quote:
What do you think of the name Apollo Nova Scotia for a boy?
I think you need to stay on your meds a bit longer. Or put down the bong.

Think of the teasing such a name would bring.

Name him something normal, like James, or Robert, or Thomas, or Michael.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:50 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
First, you should name your kid whatever you want to name him and don't rely on other people's opinions as you'll get your feelings hurt.

Second, you should consider what the name looks like on a resume as he will have this name his entire life.

With that, do you realize Nova Scotia is a province in Canada so no one will get your New Zealand and Scottish connection?
Isnt Nova Scotia full of Scottish descendants. The first Highlanders to come to Nova Scotia arrived on the Ship Hector at Pictou in 1773. Through the years, up to and especially during the Highland Clearances, shipload after shipload of Highland emigrants crossed the difficult seas to Nova Scotia. The main ports of entry was Pictou, followed by Sydney, Halifax and others. Pictou became rightly known as the Birthplace of New Scotland Here are some Scots Celtic names you might like .. http://www.amethyst-night.com/names/scotmale.html or give him one name from that list and you have a moon landnig too.. Armstrong — Scottish, transferred use of the surname, probably as a nickname for a man with strong arms.

Last edited by dizzybint; 07-18-2015 at 08:02 AM..

Old 07-18-2015, 08:02 AM

50,359 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Isnt Nova Scotia full of Scottish descendants. The first Highlanders to come to Nova Scotia arrived on the Ship Hector at Pictou in 1773. Through the years, up to and especially during the Highland Clearances, shipload after shipload of Highland emigrants crossed the difficult seas to Nova Scotia. The main ports of entry was Pictou, followed by Sydney, Halifax and others. Pictou became rightly known as the Birthplace of New Scotland Here are some Scots Celtic names you might like .. Celtic Male Names of Scotland
Yes, but OP is not proposing to name the kid, Apollo Nova Scotia Because There Are A Lot Of Scottish People There, so the poor kid would be doomed to always need to explain his name.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:04 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysuxx View Post
I think as a first name Apollo is really cool, i like what it means and as an avid fan of outer space I like its relation to the Apollo Program. For a middle name I though Nova Scotia sounded cool, it's Latin for New Scotland and I'm from New Zealand but have Scottish ancestors so that's kind of a node to that heratiger but more than that I think it just sounds cool, do you think it's too much or okay? Also since Apollo is 3 syllables I was thinking it would probably end up being abbreviated, any ideas as for what to abbreviate Apollo to? Thanks
Name your child anything you want....and don't listen to people that say a unique name automatically equals bullying. It doesn't. Apollo is a good name.

The one boy I knew named Apollo tended to be called by Apollo (imagine that!) but often times the leading A sound was not stressed leading it to sound like 'pal-lo'.

However...I'd rethink Nova Scotia unless you want to explain ALL the time that you are not Canadian. If that doesn't bother you...see my first sentence...you can name your child anything you want.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:06 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,349,573 times
YUCK!

(Well, you asked. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting