Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 09:08 AM

16,587 posts, read 10,701,397 times

Advertisements

On the surface, it's hard to imagine giving your child a name that you don't like. But I can see where it would happen. Maybe you felt obligated to honor a particular relative, even though you didn't like their name. Or maybe you were OK with the name when you picked it, but later it took on negative connotations for some reason.

With me, my preferred choice for a girl's name was one that my wife didn't like. Whereas her preferred choice for a boy's name was the same name as a guy who bullied me in middle school (though at least the spellings were different). Well before we ever had kids, we personified them with these two names, mainly just to tease each other.

But wouldn't you know it, we got so used to calling them by those names that when we actually got our kids, one boy and one girl, it seemed strange to call them by anything else. We drew up lists and considered various other names, but we just couldn't shake the original names we had been using all along. So we ended up using them both.

Fortunately, my son's name has grown on me, and now I can't imagine calling him anything else. And I still love my daughter's name, just as much as I love the girl who bears it. (My wife has made her peace with the name, even if it's still not her favorite.)

Anyone else have any experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 09:34 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,814,021 times
Nope. I love all my kids' names. My daughter's name is one I had wanted to use for a girl since I was about 15. I was so happy my husband liked it too. My husband came up with my oldest son's name. It took me a while to commit to it because it's very different, but I love it! I came up with the baby's name. He was the hardest to name. I guess because he was the last one and it was our last time to get to name a kid, Idk lol, but we were both kinda picky. Worked out though, because he has a great name too .

Old 08-14-2015, 09:44 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,195,005 times
I don't care much for my oldest daughter's middle name. It's not something we put much thought into. I just sounded ok as a filler. We never use it so I guess it doesn't matter.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:13 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,314,082 times
We agreed on ground rules for naming our before we ever found out the sex of our kids. Names were to come off the family tree. If it was a girl, I got to pick out the first name and my husband the middle. If it was a boy we switched. We both had veto rights if we didn't like the other name.

First was a boy. My husband wanted to name the baby after his dad. It wasn't my favorite boy name at the time, but there was nothing wrong with it. I now really like it. I chose my maiden name as my son's middle name to represent my side of the family. That name is used as a regular boy's name by others so it worked. During this naming we both mentioned a second boy's name we liked.

Second child turned out to be a boy. My husband gave me the opportunity to pick the first name in case we didn't get a girl. I suggested the other name we had previously both liked. It was a gggg-grandfather on my husband's side. He asked me for a gggg grandfather name on my side. I threw one out and it stuck.

Third child was a girl. I was just reading a list of grandmothers names and my husband said let's use that one you just read so we did. My husband picked my sister's name for that.

All of these names are very traditional and we used traditional spellings. We still very much like them. My daughter abosutely loves her middle name and even told me we did an ok job with her first name. Maybe we did something right.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:17 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,884,327 times
I like both my sons' names, but one did become ridiculously popular about 3 years after I named him that. I'm not too excited by that, as I prefer unusual names, but it is what it is. Still a fine name.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:34 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,219,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
On the surface, it's hard to imagine giving your child a name that you don't like. But I can see where it would happen. Maybe you felt obligated to honor a particular relative, even though you didn't like their name. Or maybe you were OK with the name when you picked it, but later it took on negative connotations for some reason.

With me, my preferred choice for a girl's name was one that my wife didn't like. Whereas her preferred choice for a boy's name was the same name as a guy who bullied me in middle school (though at least the spellings were different). Well before we ever had kids, we personified them with these two names, mainly just to tease each other.

But wouldn't you know it, we got so used to calling them by those names that when we actually got our kids, one boy and one girl, it seemed strange to call them by anything else. We drew up lists and considered various other names, but we just couldn't shake the original names we had been using all along. So we ended up using them both.

Fortunately, my son's name has grown on me, and now I can't imagine calling him anything else. And I still love my daughter's name, just as much as I love the girl who bears it. (My wife has made her peace with the name, even if it's still not her favorite.)

Anyone else have any experience with this?
Well, it shows you that you shouldn't tease your spouses by calling your future children Stuck-up Sally and The Big Bruiser.

When we were expecting, my husband and I each looked through a baby name book and independently made a list of our ten favorite names. We then looked at each others list and could cross off any that we strongly disliked. I do not recall that either of us had to cross any off because of bullies or whatever. Then we took turns, first my husband crossed off his least favorite name from each list, and then I crossed off my least favorite name from each list (or vice versa). We did this back & forth until we were left with about our five favorite girls & five favorite boys names. Then we listed, independently, our favorite names in order of preference. We then had some type of formula (something like 5 points for the number 1 name, 3 points for the number 2 name and 1 point for the number 3 name). We added up the points and Voila! The names for our future children. This process did not take a lot of actual time but we did it over a few weeks.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:53 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,046,971 times
I wasn't very fond of my middle child's name at birth. It was a family name, and a bit of compromise for both my husband and me, as neither of us liked the others first choice.

8 years later, and it's my favorite of our three kids' names. It's somewhat uncommon, which rather than seeming "weird" as it did when we gave it to her, now seems "special" as she turned out to be a really great kid. Positive associations, I guess.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:57 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,846,966 times
I don't care for my daughter's middle name but had to give DH some voice in the choice as he was getting mad that I would consider any of his crappy choices.

I love my son's name, but paired with my daughter's, it's hard to say and it gets turned into a cartoon character's name. I have to think really hard when I am saying their names together really fast like when you do when they're fighting.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:17 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
My mom probably hates my name because I'm named after my d$&@ of a father. She uses an abbreviation to refer to me rather than that name.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:47 AM

5 posts, read 5,925 times
Whatever the name of the children, it becomes sweet to every parents.

I really don't have any experience like that. Sometimes, I find some names look wired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting