Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:18 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.2321578

Quote:
Pennsylvania mom Jessica Colletti says breast-feeding is so nice, she’s doing it twice — for her own son and a friend’s. And the friend likes the plan so much, she moved in with Colletti and her husband.

“It just seemed like the natural thing to do because I was already breast-feeding my son,” said Colletti.

The milky situation started last year after Colletti met Charlie Interrante, 25, at a magazine photo shoot for new mothers, and Interrante mentioned her trouble nursing her son, Mateo, now 18 months old.Interrante wasn’t able to pump her own milk for Mateo at her job as a barber, and Mateo had trouble digesting formula, Colletti said.
I've seen this discussed more and more frequently and am curious how many women (families) would actually consider doing this? I guess it takes a lot of trust to do so, but I'd be so concerned about illness as a result of my child drinking a "stranger's" breast milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 06:29 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Oh god another one of those women who think they walk on water for producing milk in their boobs.

16 and 18 months....neither need formula or breast milk. They can both eat to meet their nutritional needs.

Gag. It isn't about nursing another persons kid. My hippy mom nursed other people's kids. It's about this whole "my boobs are magic" theory.

Would I do it...sure if the kid was starving. Would I let someone do it for my kid? Only if they were starving. Diseases.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:30 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.2321578

I've seen this discussed more and more frequently and am curious how many women (families) would actually consider doing this? I guess it takes a lot of trust to do so, but I'd be so concerned about illness as a result of my child drinking a "stranger's" breast milk.
I wouldn't do it as a matter of course...but yeah....if I was watching a baby and that's what there was I wouldn't think twice.

I don't even know what to say about the stranger sickness bit...first a friend is not a stranger....and in first world countries there isn't much risk other than if certain prescription drugs are being used....and even then.....

Old 08-26-2015, 06:35 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Sure, I would.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:45 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,294,120 times
I don't know. I wouldn't ask someone else because of diseases. My brother and his wife said they almost asked me one time when the sil thought she was surgically going to have to have a kidney stone removed. She ended up not needing the surgery and I didn't get asked. I remember thinking it would have messed up my milk supply because my nephew needed a lot of milk compared to my younger and smaller child. My child was two months and my nephew was six weeks older.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:39 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I don't know. I wouldn't ask someone else because of diseases. My brother and his wife said they almost asked me one time when the sil thought she was surgically going to have to have a kidney stone removed. She ended up not needing the surgery and I didn't get asked. I remember thinking it would have messed up my milk supply because my nephew needed a lot of milk compared to my younger and smaller child. My child was two months and my nephew was six weeks older.
Most women can nurse two...milk supply increases...and really....a 6 week age difference?

Old 08-26-2015, 09:55 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,474,299 times
I don't know what the big deal is about this issue. In the past there were 'wet nurses' for just this reason.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:06 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
I would if the mum asked me to. And I'd be ok with a friend breastfeeding my child but that's quite an awkward thing to bring up in conversation really.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:16 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,427,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'd be so concerned about illness as a result of my child drinking a "stranger's" breast milk.
Unless the woman is the carrier of a communicable disease - then I am not sure what basis such a concern would have. What form of infections or illnesses are you predicting exactly - as I would hate to comment further without being clear what it is you actually mean. It is hard to allay concerns without a clear picture of what those concerns are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Oh god another one of those women who think they walk on water for producing milk in their boobs.
I am not getting that from it at all. Maybe projecting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
16 and 18 months....neither need formula or breast milk. They can both eat to meet their nutritional needs.
But of course "can" is not synonymous with "should". There is nothing wrong with breast feeding at those ages - and there are many groups including WHO that recommend breast milk some distance past these ages.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:01 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I don't know what the big deal is about this issue. In the past there were 'wet nurses' for just this reason.
I believe that years and years ago many wealthy women would hire wet nurses to fed their babies so they wouldn't have the hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting