Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 02:10 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times

Advertisements

snopes.com: Locks of Love Sells Hair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 02:20 PM

6 posts, read 4,923 times
Totally no big deal. As stated above.....it's just hair. That is the parents choice. :>)

Old 09-07-2015, 02:21 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
The snopes link doesn't contradict anything I said...just explains it a bit...and it doesn't address the missing money.

Sorry, but there are just other hair/wig charities I support more. LOL just isn't the one and only.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:26 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Lots of people leave their kids' hair long when they're little. If he doesn't like it, he can tell his mother. But it's certainly nothing for anyone else to worry about.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:27 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Not your kid? Not your problem. It's freaking hair! He's not a gun toting ax murder.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:19 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,375 times
Unless it's a health or safety issue-- or if the mother is ASKING specifically for her mother's opinion on her grandson's hair, your friend (and you-- and everyone else) would do well to KEEP OUT OF IT and mind your own business. It's HAIR-- not a malignant tumor that they're ignoring.

But, if your friend wants to drive a wedge between herself and her daughter and son-in-law, the by all means, speak up about his hair-- but my best advice as both a daughter and a daughter-in-law is for her to keep her mouth shut.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:39 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
I couldn't help but think of this thread today when looking at a friends facebook page.....this is one of the the little boys I know that happens to have long hair (age 4)and was at a Renn faire today with his parents. The faire had sword craft 'lessons for the little kids with wooden swords.

My friend's son...with the long curls took part...he got bruised and a bit terrorized (I saw the video) by another little boy his age that was sporting a crew cut. That boys father was in the back ground screaming for him to 'finish' him and the staff had to step in because this kid was trying to brain my little friend. This was supposed to be a light fun activity for children at a renn faire...not Game of Thrones.

Hum....so long hair means uncivilized and short hair is civilized, that boy and his father missed the memo...and it againest proves you can't judge people by superficial standards.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:22 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I was surprised at your comment, so visited the website. From the FAQ - Locks of Love

Most of our recipients suffer from alopecia areata. Others have experienced hair loss from radiation therapy and chemotherapy, severe burns or trauma, and various other genetic and dermatological conditions.

Not sure where your comment about questionable sources was found, please provide a link. It would be a shame to discourage potential donors from participating in this program if your claims are unfounded. According to the Charity Navigator, this charity does quite well, with an overall rating of 89.1.
My mother in law works for MD Anderson Children's Cancer Hospital. Locks of Love is a sore subject with all of them because they don't help the children there. There are a very small number of people whose hair does not grow back after cancer treatment, but they are by far the exception. The vast majority of people who receive wigs from Locks of Love are not cancer patients. I'm not saying it's a worthless organization, but there are definitely better ones out there. This article has some good info:
What You Need to Know about Locks of Love | FemaleIntel

Old 09-07-2015, 09:41 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Well, good to know we-and I am not the grandma, my friend is-are just naive and ''out of touch'' as it plays out.
Though I am from the ''hippie'', not ''hipster'' generation, I still think the top knot look is stupid.
That said, I am also not of the ''pc generation'', so I say what I think, not what I think others want to hear.
We can all rest easy here in ''old fogeyville''...the kid is only two and is already assimilated into the latest fashion and rave!
I'll pass the word on to the rest of the fretting friends and family...not to worry, not to worry!
LOL

There are cultural mores that you feel are violated. You are definitely not open minded as you like to think you are. Your sarcasm is noted and your calling your worldview "old fogeyville" is simply showing how you were raised.

Different cultures have different reasons for allowing the hair to grow. If I were to walk a mile in your shoes, I would probably be fretting as well. But I am Native American and I don't see your friend as naive or out of touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I am as open-minded as they come, but I feel sorry for the kid and think it looks ridiculous.
I beg to differ, on both counts.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:56 AM

1,400 posts, read 765,598 times
Dear OP,

If the child lives in an area where it seems "anything goes" as far as the way people dress and how they wear their hair, there is may be no reason for concern. If the child lives is a conservative area where he is going to look extremely different from all the other boys, there is a problem. If anyone takes their innocent child and throws them into school looking conspicuously different from all the other children, that is wrong. Some kids are cruel to others from the earliest ages, and everyone knows the who receives most of the cruelty ~ the child who looks different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting