Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 09:35 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
That does seem to the American way of thinking.
Yes, I have noticed that. I find it very odd though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 09:44 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I feel like the rating system is all a moot point, given the video games that kids can get their hands on these days. I mean, yes, a parent can attempt to control what they see, but if they go over to a friend's house, it could be all over. I let my 14 year old play Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto and he has been for a couple years, but I'm just one of those liberal parents. I don't believe in shielding kids from the real world. Frankly, it's annoying to me when I try to buy him and his friends movie tickets for rated R movies and I'm told I have to watch it with them. Why??
"Grand Theft Auto" represents the real world? Yikes. I wouldn't want to live in that world, and if I did, I would do everything I could to escape. It's a horrible game and one that I've told my kids they will NEVER see enter our house.

You are expected to watch rated R movies with them because "R" means Restricted with no one under 17 admitted without an accompanying parent or guardian. It's what the rating means. That's why you are expected to view it with them.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:46 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I am a fan of Deadpool but I imagine it will be higher than 4.7.5. on the MPAA rating scale. There is a sex scene in the redband (rated R) trailer as well as a strip club (with Stan Lee as the DJ.) There is a LOT of cursing in the redband trailer including f-bombs. There is also a LOT of violence including blood and even a bullet flying through three thugs head straight on in succession. Granted this is par for the course with Deadpool comic (in particularly the Marvel-MAX run) but I would try to tell your 12 year old that this is a graphic movie that you will let her see in the house but can't in good conscious let her see it in theaters.
Definitely sounds like she won't be seeing it anytime soon. I hadn't taken time to watch the redband trailer for it - but from what you said, it's definitely too adult for her.

She's going to be sad about that...

Old 09-10-2015, 03:42 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
You would rather watch them kill people then see a nude person ?
It's fascinating...

The hero of the story can flippantly gun down scores of people, but since they're the 'bad guys' it's fine - and it doesn't emotionally affect the hero one bit. Legions of parents see no problem with this portrayal.

But a nipple makes a 1.5-second appearance? For many of the same parents, then it's hair-on-fire time...

Old 09-10-2015, 04:02 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It's fascinating...

The hero of the story can flippantly gun down scores of people, but since they're the 'bad guys' it's fine - and it doesn't emotionally affect the hero one bit. Legions of parents see no problem with this portrayal.

But a nipple makes a 1.5-second appearance? For many of the same parents, then it's hair-on-fire time...
I completely agree, but the rep was for the graphic!

Old 09-11-2015, 08:12 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That don't sound hypocritical to me at all. You know your children.
Thanks for the support. My brother's wife says "no" to both sex and violence based R movies for their children. Sometimes I feel like I should do likewise, but in the end, I think it is far easier to teach that violence is pretend than sex.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:56 AM

674 posts, read 611,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Thanks for the support. My brother's wife says "no" to both sex and violence based R movies for their children. Sometimes I feel like I should do likewise, but in the end, I think it is far easier to teach that violence is pretend than sex.
Bingo.

I'd have a problem with either (I'm very uncomfortable with depictions of violence or suffering), and I worry that seeing too many dehumanizing depictions of violence will lead to a callous disregard for suffering of anyone who is an 'other,' someone outside of our regular social sphere. See, for example, everyone who treats the wave of refugees in Europe as subhuman people who don't belong for whatever stupid reason. I want my kid to treat all humans as valuable, and the way movies tend to divide people into important people whose suffering matters and unimportant people whose suffering is amusing bothers me a lot.

More than that, though, I think movie depictions of sex are a more insidious problem. People say it doesn't hurt them, but is that really true? Movies teach kids that part of the role of women is to provide visual stimulation for men. They normalize trashiness and other kinds of bad or dangerous behavior.

While media aren't the only source of blame for this, I suspect that they are a major part of the problem, given how they affect people during their formative years.

If you're a woman, you probably already know the degree to which your average man holds absolutely disgusting views about women. If you're a man, you probably know but don't necessarily think about it too much, since all of the nasty, objectifying comments aren't aimed at you. At times, it seems like the majority of discourse on the internet has severe misogynistic elements to it. Any thread on Reddit that involves a woman in any way will include sexual comments, innuendo, and other awful stuff, sometimes aimed at famous people (note the gendered insults tossed at any woman who is a political candidate or business leader) and sometimes aimed directly at users who are suspected of not being male.

Women are considered toys in our society, and most movies that involve sex reinforce this view. It's horrifying.

Heck, I've noticed that even when movies don't directly involve nudity or anything like that, they tend to use deliberately chosen camera angles and poses and wardrobes to treat the women in them like candy to be consumed by the male audience. Next time you watch a movie allegedly made for adults, look at how often the camera pans to the women's posteriors or chests. I don't want my daughter to feel that it's her responsibility to be a piece of meat.

So, to a large extent, while movie violence is sometimes just pretend and sometimes subtly harmful, movie sex is almost always bad, though people often forget that it's bad because it doesn't hurt everyone in the same way or to the same degree.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:06 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
For me, context of the content that resulted in the rating was hugely important in determining whether a movie was appropriate. If I felt the sex/violence/whatever was appropriate to the context (not simply gratuitous) and that my child was old enough to understand the content, then I was much more likely to ok the movie (and watch it with them).

Old 09-11-2015, 04:25 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It's fascinating...

Americans are funny creatures really. We are an overly sexed up culture, but complete prudes as well.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
There are two different reasons why movies are rated R. One, because if portrays people who hate each other, relating with graphic violence. The other, because it shows people who love each other, relating with graphic affection.

And we lump them both together, and indiscriminately justify the R-rating with the odd oxymoron "sex/violence". And we ask at what age it is OK for children to see this "sex/violence".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting