Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 10:14 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,388 times

Advertisements

Just curious to hear your perspectives on this.

Screen time = any electronic screen, including TV, cell phones, tablets, etc.

At what age did you expose your child to screen time? How much time per day or session? And at what rate did you increase it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 10:19 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,388 times
In our case, our kids didn't get any dedicated screen time before age 2. Anything would be accidental (e.g. seeing some pictures taken on a cell phone). I've heard that medically speaking, there really aren't any doctors out there that recommend screen time before age 2, and limited to less than 3 hours per day after. Decades-long studies have shown that 3+ hours of TV per day leads to a pretty sharp increase in behavioral problems down the road.

So for us, after age 2 they have anywhere from 15-30 minutes of screen time per day, maximum ever was 1.5 hours in a day before age 3.

I've talked to some friends with young kids that had them on tablets or tv for 3-5+ hours per day, and they have absolute meltdowns when it's time to shut off electronics. Their argument is it's educational tv shows and educational apps, but it looks like their kids turn into zombies when they use the screens. Does that seem healthy?

Old 09-19-2015, 07:32 PM

75 posts, read 90,825 times
My 4 and 5 year old have a tablet they share and they can get 30 minutes a day each. We have put restrictions on it, so it automatically "logs them out" when their time is up. Although, a couple weeks ago their charger cord went missing so they've been without the ability to use the tablet, and honestly after a couple days of the cord missing, they didn't really miss the 'screen time.' They find so much else to do. We've gotten rid of cable so tv time is restricted to Amazon prime at the moment...Curious George and other shows which are watched about 3x's a week for about an hour in a day, but usually I am the one instigating those when I need an afternoon nap or some extra quiet time.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:16 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times
My kids are five and seven. They each get thirty minutes of kindle time per day, though they don't always use it. The older one has to do 15 minutes of math online per day for school. And they watch about one hour of cartoons between early morning and just before bed.

They also get a lot of exercise....cross country running, hiking, football, general play.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:20 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,663 times
When to Introduce Your Child to a Smartphone or Tablet . Articles . Children and Media . PBS Parents | PBS

Old 09-23-2015, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 903 times
Our nine year old and six year old get almost no screen time. They do not watch tv, and the only time they use our computer is if we need to look something up together (for example, what is the fastest land animal etc). Once a month or so they might watch a youtube video of Peppa Pig (A UK cartoon). And we sometimes watch youtube for piano practice help (to see the fingering of specific pieces).

We find they are great at amusing themselves, and they haven't really complained about the screen issue. Of course, we realize this will change as they get older....

Old 09-23-2015, 02:48 PM

676 posts, read 725,996 times
I have never really put a limit on my kid when it comes to watching tv or playing video games and such. some days hes on it all day after school, some days he plays outside after school. he maintains on his own pretty well. most of the time after work we will watch tv togeather if hes not playing video games or outside. I work to many hours to wanna do much more than sit around. most weekends we are doing something fun so not much screen time on the weekends. I also dont make him turn the tv off in his room at night either we all sleep with the tv on in my home.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:53 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Consider that most jobs today even retail requires spending majority of time in front of screens. I'd be more interesting with what the kids are viewing on the screen rather than place a limit.

For example, I have an iPad that only has educational apps and I require my son to play those games regularly.

Playing Minecraft is actually a good thing, it helps develop their engineering and science skills.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:09 PM

84 posts, read 70,743 times
I don't have any particular limit for my kiddos. If I recall right they started watching TV some time last year. They usually don't sit still for long, so how much screen time they get isn't much of a concern. On Thursdays they watch their favorite cartoon religiously. I'm not joking. If they miss it they would fall apart. Luckily we have the Internet

Old 10-01-2015, 04:04 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
With both kids (now around 2 and 5) I have used it since the earliest ages. But only at times when there was nothing else better on offer - or I needed the temporary distraction as parental support.

But in general I always attempt to make sure there is something better of more quality to occupy them with - but one is not 100% perfect and a fall back option is always good.

I do attempt to limit it to things generally educational or useful however. Sesame Street Songs around counting - the alphabet - or other life skills or useful messages would be a priority there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting