Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 06:58 AM

137 posts, read 145,382 times

Advertisements

First of all, those parents never need any intimacy?
Or maybe intimacy is just not an option with so many kids, no matter if you have separate rooms or not!?!

It's a good way to spare space I agree, but it just feels wrong...or very cute...I can't decide yet.

This 7-person family actually loves sharing one giant bed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 07:01 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,904,013 times
Wonder what the ages of the kids are. I think it's fine when they are young but weird when they get older. And 5 kids...seems like they are managing intimate time somehow.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:10 AM

22,631 posts, read 47,774,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenn View Post
Parents with 5 kids sleep in the same king sized bed!!
No, they don't.
Did you see the photo in the link you posted?
It is an IKEA hack that has two bunk beds flanking a bed.

7 people are NOT in the same king-size bed.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:13 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,037,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No, they don't.
Did you see the photo in the link you posted?
It is an IKEA hack that has two bunk beds flanking a bed.

7 people are NOT in the same king-size bed.
Correct.

Also, OP, "intimacy" is not the same thing as "sex." They could have plenty of "intimacy" without sex, and maybe they have sex "elsewhere."

Either way ... this is ... not something I would choose. It would be fun a few times a year.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:18 AM

22,631 posts, read 47,774,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Also, OP, "intimacy" is not the same thing as "sex." They could have plenty of "intimacy" without sex, and maybe they have sex "elsewhere."
Yep.
In a TV interview, they say there are plenty of other places in the house for that!

Old 10-20-2015, 07:31 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,309,198 times
Creative design and I can see how for some families this might be a solution to certain issues (kids with disabilities, not enough space in the house, ect). But in general, I'm not a supporter of co-sleeping so that colors my opinion greatly. Anxiety seemed to be a common theme in the article however, I haven't walked in their shoes so I'll reserve my judgments for far greater parenting sins.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:21 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,932,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Wonder what the ages of the kids are. I think it's fine when they are young but weird when they get older. And 5 kids...seems like they are managing intimate time somehow.
She lists them as:
Elijah - baby
Own - toddler
Ben - 7
Izzy - 9
Zach - 11

More questions answered here: Havoc at Home: Everything you ever wanted (or didn't want) to know about the Family Bed

Old 10-20-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
She lists them as:
Elijah - baby
Own - toddler
Ben - 7
Izzy - 9
Zach - 11

More questions answered here: Havoc at Home: Everything you ever wanted (or didn't want) to know about the Family Bed
Thanks I seemed to miss the meat of the story. It seemed like an ad for ikea.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:30 AM

Ok read the blog entry. Seems like it works for them. My former therapist would be horrified, she things sleeping alone is essential for learning to self soothe. I don't know if she is right...she was an only child. I slept with my siblings in the same bed for years (small apartments)...then again, Imwas the patient. Lol

My 10 year old would sleep in my bed if I let him. I don't. Cuddles once in a while is fine. Sleeping. Nope. First he sleeps sideways so I can't sleep. Second, I think he does need to sleep in his own bed. So the 11 year old...of his peers at school finds out, ugh! And another year or two, I think he needs his privacy. But it sounds like the parents are open to that.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:01 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,932,348 times
I think the co-sleeping thing is fine if the family is fine with it. Obviously, it's something that a lot of people don't choose, but I don't think it's a big deal at all. I certainly don't think they will be messed up for it. It is common in lots of cultures. I don't think sleeping alone is essential for anything - but then again I don't much like sleeping alone either. I find it hard to sleep when my husband is out of town, for example. And I never co-slept as a child.

My daughter co-slept with me for part of the night until she was in kindergarten, when she started sharing a room with her sister - at which point they decided to sleep together. My girls have their own beds in their own rooms, but choose to sleep together 90% of the time (ages 6 and 9). Now and then though, one will decide that she wants to sleep alone, and that is fine too. It's really not a big deal to me either way. My oldest went several months where she wanted to sleep alone, and now she's back to sleeping with her sister again. At some point, I expect she will want to sleep alone more for privacy, and her room is waiting for her when she does. Sounds the same with the family in the article - when the kid wants his own room, he is free to go use it!

It's really not a big deal with the peers at school either. My daughter's best friend at school also co-sleeps. Nobody cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting